Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my old computers pretty crappy right, I bought it from my brother for 400$ over the christmas break. anyways, i don't wanna buy a brand new computer cuz i just got a new video card. i also have no idea wat my motherboard or vent can handle. My processor is an AMD athlon XP 1800+ or soemthing like that. My video card is a Radeon 9550. oh, and my processor is supposed to be 1.8 GHz, but for some reason, on my computer, it slows down to a 1.13Ghz. Anyone got any suggestions on what to do? i sure don't. Any help is really appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
If you have an XP 1800+, it's real speed is around 1.5GHz. The 1800 refers to its equivalent from intel. Your motherboard probably thinks that your processor is a 100MHz FSB processor, when it is really a 133MHz FSB chip. The 1800 is supposed to be an alright overclocker. I know people who have gotten to just over 2GHz with theirs. I can get 1.8 on my 2000, but I don't have a good motherboard. Just out of curiousity, what experience do you have in computers? You should post your system specs under User CP. If you don't know what you have, just google for a program called Everest Home Edition. It's no longer maintained, but your hardware is old enough to be detected.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
It's not supposed to be 1.8 Ghz. It's running at the right speed. AMD is all about "pr" ratings...These are to compare with pentiums somewhat...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've just gotten interested in upgrading lately, about 2-3 months, and I really wanna learn too. I'm trying to get my specs as we speak. So they should be on this post. So HOW do I overclock, I hear my friends talk about it all the time but I have no idea how. Any risks with OCing?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks everyone, if you need any more specs tell me, also give me a few hints where to look. For now, OCing looks difficult, so I'll just upgrade for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts