Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm going back to Qatar in 2 weeks, and I thought I might as well upgrade the Home PC/My lil Bro's Gaming Rig (LOL).. so first off, here are the specs on it:

Mobo: Gigabyte Mobo based on the Intel 946GZ chipset (or something.. idk its been too long).
CPU: Pentium D 3.4GHz
GPU: XFX 7300GT 512mb (Paid 150$ for this sucker back in the day..)
Ram: not sure about the speeds but they were 2x1GB DDR2s.. I'll need someone to recommend me a program that can extract info from my bro's PC. (since I live 10000 miles away).
HDD: WD 160GB HDD.
Case: Mini ATX silver/black 30$ cheapo.
Optical: DVD writer and DVD rom.
PSU: I believe it was a 400-450watt.
Cooling: Stock CPU Fan.

Anyways this rig is obviously out dated. and My bro needs to game right so he can grow up being a gaming junky like me!!

I bought a used evga 680i off of an OCNer. and will hopefully be able to secure 2 x 320GB WD HDDs.

My main question is.. what used parts can I find for around 150$-200$ that would produce highest performance/cost ratio?

1- I was thinking a cheap Q6600 or a C2D with decent speeds since anything would be better than a Single Core. (should I get an after market cooling fan? would my CM V8 work? If so I could finally get a Corsair H50 for my i7).

2- I believe an upgrade to 4GB of ram is needed? he plays games like Crysis, Assassin's Creed 2, MW2..

3- I was also looking at a used 8 series SLI setup or just a single 9 series (never tried SLi before.. very anxious to try it..).

4- I don't think a 400w PSU would be able to support these specs, would it? If not.. I'll just buy one when I get home since no funding limit there

P.S: trying to buy all the parts used to save some $_$.. but if I have to buy some new stuff for decent prices its ok.

Help is very much appreciated, can't wait to hear all the things I've done wrong!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeeMoo220 View Post

Anyways this rig is obviously out dated. and My bro needs to game right so he can grow up being a gaming junky like me!!

I bought a used evga 680i off of an OCNer. and will hopefully be able to secure 2 x 320GB WD HDDs.

My main question is.. what used parts can I find for around 150$-200$ that would produce highest performance/cost ratio?

1- I was thinking a cheap Q6600 or a C2D with decent speeds since anything would be better than a Single Core. (should I get an after market cooling fan? would my CM V8 work? If so I could finally get a Corsair H50 for my i7).

2- I believe an upgrade to 4GB of ram is needed? he plays games like Crysis, Assassin's Creed 2, MW2..

3- I was also looking at a used 8 series SLI setup or just a single 9 series (never tried SLi before.. very anxious to try it..).

4- I don't think a 400w PSU would be able to support these specs, would it? If not.. I'll just buy one when I get home since no funding limit there

P.S: trying to buy all the parts used to save some $_$.. but if I have to buy some new stuff for decent prices its ok.

Help is very much appreciated, can't wait to hear all the things I've done wrong!
1- Still don't really need quads for the most part, if you can get the 6600 for close to the same price then its a no brainer but if not a C2D will work fine.

2- yes

3- Whatever comes out to cheaper really, performance wise a lot of the 9 series stuff is very similar to the 8 series

4- depends on what you go with for the card, no chance if you decide on a SLI setup

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
1. a c2d should do fine for you.

2. absolutely get 4gb ram.

3. i would try to get at least a gts 250 (go for a newer ati if you can afford it). i think they are a really decent card for a budget build and putting them in sli (like i have mine) is really easy and a great performer. i believe newegg had them on sale really cheap as well, not sure if they still are.

4. i would lean more towards at least a 650-watt psu to cover what you are building. that way you can go sli later if you want, and oc your ram and cpu without needing to worry about power issues. heck, you will probably even be able to oc the gpu as well.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the feedback everyone but I have to stress one thing. This build isn't for me as I already have my kick A** gaming PC that can run everything.

the main user of this rig will be an 11 year old boy, and this really isn't necessary I'm just doing it cuz hes been getting good grades n all.. so a GTS250 would be a definite overkill. also if anyone can recomend a cheap kit of 4GB ddr2 ram that would be awesome.

again thanks to everyone for the input.. and waiting for more!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quote:

thanks for the feedback everyonbe but I have to stress one thing. This build isn't for me as I already have my kick A** gaming PC that can run everything.

the main user of this rig will be an 11 year old boy, and this really isn't necessary I'm just doing it cuz hes been getting good grades n all.. so a GTS250 would be a definite overkill. also if anyone can recomend a cheap kit of 4GB ddr2 ram that would be awesome.

again thanks to everyone for the input.. and waiting for more!
I would just get a used 8800 and if needed later you can upgrade the PSU and get another.

Cheap and DDR2 are not words that go together anymore, prices have really gone up, might be better to try used if you can.

You are possibly the coolest big brother ever, just wanted to throw that in.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by BounouGod View Post
I would just get a used 8800 and if needed later you can upgrade the PSU and get another.

Cheap and DDR2 are not words that go together anymore, prices have really gone up, might be better to try used if you can.

You are possibly the coolest big brother ever, just wanted to throw that in.

yah I'm looking for used GPUs and CPUs on OCN like hourly these days.. but no luck. I might end up buying a 9800GT for ~100$ off ebay. And yah I noticed the DDR2 Prices r like wth..

Quick Question: how are these : http://www.overclock.net/online-deal...e-39-99-a.html

I'm considering them for the price.. but I know the performance isn't on par with C2Ds :/

·
Prince of all Saiyans
4,196 Posts
If you only want to spend $150-$200, and get the best bang for your buck, get a newer 9-series/4xxx/5xxx GPU. Smash games with brute force GPU power, it would cost much more to overhaul the entire system.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quote:

yah I'm looking for used GPUs and CPUs on OCN like hourly these days.. but no luck. I might end up buying a 9800GT for ~100$ off ebay. And yah I noticed the DDR2 Prices r like wth..

Quick Question: how are these : http://www.overclock.net/online-deal...e-39-99-a.html

I'm considering them for the price.. but I know the performance isn't on par with C2Ds :/
Think it is still a very nice little CPU, if you OC it you can probably get around 4Ghz will need a decent cooler for that, but with a 8800 doubt you will really need to OC for your little brother to be able to play games with it.

Price is hard to beat, 40$ for a cpu?!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Think it is still a very nice little CPU, if you OC it you can probably get around 4Ghz will need a decent cooler for that, but with a 8800 doubt you will really need to OC for your little brother to be able to play games with it.

Price is hard to beat, 40$ for a cpu?!

You have a very good point there.. but would it work with an evga 680i ? (I think so..)

I was also looking at some used C2D processors on ebay.. and I found these:

1- http://cgi.ebay.com/2-66GHZ-E6750-In...item4a9c84d7c7

2- http://cgi.ebay.com/Core-2-Duo-E7200...item2304010015

3- http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Core2-Duo-...item4a9c94862e

Most of 'em don't come with heatsinks though.. so I think I could use the Pentium D stock fan?

EDIT: also what are ur thoughts on these processors? whats the better CPU? does it go by numerical value or is it by speed? as u can see I skipped C2Ds n Quads since I went from PD to i7..

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quote:

You have a very good point there.. but would it work with an evga 680i ? (I think so..)

I was also looking at some used C2D processors on ebay.. and I found these:

1- http://cgi.ebay.com/2-66GHZ-E6750-In...item4a9c84d7c7

2- http://cgi.ebay.com/Core-2-Duo-E7200...item2304010015

3- http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Core2-Duo-...item4a9c94862e

Most of 'em don't come with heatsinks though.. so I think I could use the Pentium D stock fan?

EDIT: also what are ur thoughts on these processors? whats the better CPU? does it go by numerical value or is it by speed? as u can see I skipped C2Ds n Quads since I went from PD to i7..
680i works up to core 2 quads so it would work with all these CPU's.

It never occurred to me to look for used CPU's on ebay, not sure that is something i would want to buy used from a stranger, from someone on here with good rep sure but from ebay i would not, just my opinion,

With the budget you mentioned i think your best bet is to get the e5200, its half the price and new.

The e7200 is better clearly, the e5300 is very similar just a bit better and not sure on the e6750 but it has better stats so i would assume its the best of all 3 but would need to ask around, i just don't know for sure.

I am assuming what you want is a cheap quick and dirty upgrade for your brothers existing computer.

If you have a bit more to work with and you already have the 680i get a Q6600 and a decent cooler to OC it. If you don't have the board and a bit more to work with then i would consider going AM3, you can get a decent board and a nice dual core and when you kid brother is ready for more it's just a question of upgrading to a new CPU, LGA 775 is pretty much dead, am3 will probably be AMD's socket for 2-3 years or more.

Again depends on what you need. If all you need is a decent upgrade for now then get the e5200, some ram and a gt 8800 and he should be all set.

Like Blindrage606 said you will probably get the most performance from the GPU so do not skimp on that, if the money is there a 5770 would be awesome.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:

My main question is.. what used parts can I find for around 150$-200$ that would produce highest performance/cost ratio? [/COLOR]
E5200. And don't expect to OC with that board, but the E5200 is a great budget processor and will do fine just at its 2.5Ghz

Read my PM, or just look at my above comment

Yes.

Don't bother with SLI/crossfire- it's always better to have one single strong card. Less hassle in the end.

It should do fine unless it's not a brand name.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:

680i works up to core 2 quads so it would work with all these CPU's.

It never occurred to me to look for used CPU's on ebay, not sure that is something i would want to buy used from a stranger, from someone on here with good rep sure but from ebay i would not, just my opinion,

With the budget you mentioned i think your best bet is to get the e5200, its half the price and new.

The e7200 is better clearly, the e5300 is very similar just a bit better and not sure on the e6750 but it has better stats so i would assume its the best of all 3 but would need to ask around, i just don't know for sure.

I am assuming what you want is a cheap quick and dirty upgrade for your brothers existing computer.

If you have a bit more to work with and you already have the 680i get a Q6600 and a decent cooler to OC it. If you don't have the board and a bit more to work with then i would consider going AM3, you can get a decent board and a nice dual core and when you kid brother is ready for more it's just a question of upgrading to a new CPU, LGA 775 is pretty much dead, am3 will probably be AMD's socket for 2-3 years or more.

Again depends on what you need. If all you need is a decent upgrade for now then get the e5200, some ram and a gt 8800 and he should be all set.

Like Blindrage606 said you will probably get the most performance from the GPU so do not skimp on that, if the money is there a 5770 would be awesome.
Gaming is mostly GPU-intensive. I've had an E8400 at 4.2Ghz but with some crappy 9500GT and I didn't get very far. Switched to a Q6600, never bothered OC'ing it but with a 4870 and I could max out pretty much anything other than Crysis.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: good OCing Q6600 G0 + stock HSF and 2x1GB 1066 OCZ DDR2 Ram secured for 120$.

whats left: hopefully another pair of sticks and a GPU.. GPU has priority 100$ budget or a lil over cuz I just got money from a religious holiday gathering

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: BFG GTX260 896mb Core 216 secured for 110$.

buying another set of 2x1GB 1066Mhz SLI Ready OCZ DDR2 Ram from ebay for 50$. and that should complete the killer system upgrade for 400$ total. gotta love buying used parts from OCN!

1- EVGA 680i Mobo. (65$)
2- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 + stock HSF (for now.. considering using my CoolerMaster V8 on it). (100$)
3- 4 x 1GB 1066MHz DDR2 SLi Ready Ram by OCZ. (70$)
4- 2 x 320GB WD AAKS HDDs. (55$)
5- BFG GTX260 896mb Core 216. (110$)
6- 400w PSU.
7- DVD-Writer and DVD/CD-Writer.
8- Might use the elegant cheapo Mini ATX case or buy another just for the hell of it.

Red = Bought.
Green = Existing parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts