Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Thanks for taking the time to help me.
My first problem in my opinion is my motherboard's power phase is too low, and the mosfets are not cooled.
The symptom - other then a perfectly fine running computer, is that when I play Battlefield 4 after a couple rounds my computer freezes to a black screen and sits for around 3 or 4 minutes before returning to explorer where I can the message that the game has crashed, at that point I have always rebooted and tried again.

I am not overclocked but I have turbo mode turned to auto
all bios clock settings other then ram are set to auto.
Ram is 1600 and is ran at 1600. It is dual channel ram but only boots in dual channel mode when I boot into windows from bios after saving settings.
CPU is cooled by a hyper 212 evo with two after market cooler master sickle flow fans which are connected to the mobo. set to fullon in bios.
1 corsair fan in back of case, 1 aero cool fan in front, and one of those huge panel wide fans on the side, all hooked up to a fan controller so i monitor the temps manually and they are all really good.

I have the latest driver for the 7870, 14.3 I Believe...
I just wanted some input on what is causing the freeze to happen, I have thermal throttling at 25% cool and quiet on, APM off, stock voltage and 2000 nb, 2000ht

I have tried various OC steps carefully over the year, still in the back on my head it feels its hardware related and not bios, but perhaps windows software including 3rd party apps I may have had from old mobo leftover after I built the new pc with an older backup drive I simply carried over most my games maybe a config file is out of whack.

I thought my ht or nb were the culprit but ArmA 3 and CS GO work beaufitul on certain configs I set and those games never freeze.

Seems to be just bf4 thats freezing up on me.

I hope someone had a fix for this issue, coming here is my last alternative before I scrap it.

I have a 585w psu btw.

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
The problem is BF4. It's always BF4 and it will always be BF4. Read this line from your post:
Quote:
Seems to be just bf4 thats freezing up on me.
There's your answer
smile.gif
. Also, why are you going to scrap a perfectly running PC just for one game?

Also, fresh re install everything when you change motherboards.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

The problem is BF4. It's always BF4 and it will always be BF4. Read this line from your post:
There's your answer
smile.gif
. Also, why are you going to scrap a perfectly running PC just for one game?

Also, fresh re install everything when you change motherboards.
I play it on all ultra or high with 1080p res on mantle or dx11 mode I get 60+ constant fps, the freezes happen at the worst times like when I'm burst firing at an enemys head or about to shoot a helo down with an rpg , it freezes at iconic scenes with lots going on and goes black. I feel the PSU is fine, and so are the CPU and GPU. But the motherboard itself has a notoriously low powerphase and in those scenes in my opinion the CPU and GPU are competing for the most power and the MOBO can't keep up with it. Am I wrong to assume this could be fixed with a new motherboard, say the 970 chipset would be a good start?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just found some files in my bf4 folder called shader fx, im removing them and seeing if thats whats causing this. I remember adding the shaderfx or sweetfx files along time ago. But never caused crashes till no, must be latest amd drivers and bf4 patches. Ill be back with results.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Quote:
Am I wrong to assume this could be fixed with a new motherboard, say the 970 chipset would be a good start?
A 990 chipset would be much better for getting large overclock, and not that much more than a 970 chipset when on sale.

Your current board only supports 95W processors. Its kind of deceptive when they say it supports 8 core processors, when those particular processors are tricky to find and meant mainly for OEMs in non-overclockable systems.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/960GC-GS%20FX/?cat=CPU
Quote:
Orion HP585D 585 Watt
Thats more like a fairly decent 300 watt supply, newegg only lists it 15A on the 12 volt rail. (Where are the psu police when you need them, heh)
With your 7870 and FX-6300, Im very very surprised you can boot up at all.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339012

I also have the HEC HP585D 585 Watt, (I think it was $9.99 after rebate) but its in an E2180 system that uses on board graphics.

With your 95W motherboard and 15A 12volt psu, it is no surprise that youre freezing. The surprise is that you even got that far.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not all Vishera CPU's are fully stable at stock voltages, my 8350 needs a whopping 1.37 vcore to be Linpack stable at stock. Try running Prime95/OCCT for several hours, BF4 will load all your cores very heavily on high/ultra settings so it could just be due to how heavily it's loading your CPU.

Also try using OCCT/P95 in conjunction with Kombustor's burn in test to load your PSU realistically and see what happens.

If I worked it out right, (I probably didn't) your 12V rail at 15amps can only provide 180 watts, which shouldn't even power up for you, although this should cause the computer to crash or blow the PSU rather than causing temporary in game freezes I believe.

There are many other things which could cause BF4 to crash after you've eliminated hardware too, myself having had problems with GPU/CPU utilisation in BF4 before mantle came along I know how annoying it is.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That board would be my first suspect. FX's like good VRM's and having such skimpy VRM's while boosting all game is likely for failure. Also that PSU needs to be upgraded as it is not enough for a 6300 and a 7870.

Try looking in to a GA-970A-UD3 of M5A99FX Pro 2.0, both are good/inexpensive 990FX boards with plenty of power for the 6300.

PSU wise just something 500W+ from a good reputable company.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Quote:
PSU wise just something 500W+ from a good reputable company.
I would go with higher wattage, with a single 12v rail of 50A+, from a good reputable company. With my system, with the relatively low power plain GTX 650 (its not the Ti), I can get my Kill-A-Watt meter to read 400 watts with everything overclocked. With his 7870, theres a good another 100 watts of potential, plus you would want about a 25% overkill. Maximum efficiency on psus seems to be in the range of 50-70% of the power draw, so if youre generally not overloading the system, you dont want a too high a wattage rating either.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Don't scrap your system! I think most of the recommendations here are very useful and worth trying. I'm not an expert as some of the guys here and have learned a lot from them...very helpful.

Personally, I've always purchased higher wattage PSUs to simply future-proof. If my system/components require say a 650w PSU, I'd purchase a 750w instead; spend the extra 30 or 40$ now and feel safer later. BF4 is a demanding game and as such will push your system (especially when running the game a ultra settings).

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Yea your motherboard and PSU should be replaced. You can get sub-$100 970 chipset boards with beefy VRMs that are great for the FX-6300. UD3, UD3P, and M5A97 R2.0

In the mean time, turbo turbo OFF, turn APM OFF. Set voltage control to offset mode and begin under-volting the chip. It'll probably run stable at 3.5ghz at whatever your default CPU-NB voltage is (usually 1.16V). Undervolt the CPU core will CPU and CPU-NB voltages match. This will cut your CPU power dissipation by 10-20% from stock which may just buy enough to prevent it from throttling.

Thermally induced throttling triggered by VRM overload usually forces intermittent low-power states (1.4ghz) which can be highly annoying in games.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Important Note In order to use the bios in these boards to configure OC settings always keep in mind that when you change the NB or HT or any volts, the mobo HAS to be rebooted Once after changing the settings and rebooted a second time to confirm the adjustments in bios itself. Keeping in mind the BIOS will not boot properly unless you cycle the restarts between those configurations. Once you have the method down in how this bios works and saves your config, then finding a stable OC is easy depending on the time you have. I have heard countless people saying the windows wont boot with peoples BIOS settings and I am certain it's because they dont cycle their restarts between adjustments.

update: I just wanted to say that despite all the info going against these ever being stable I have found a stable OC that runs prime95 for several hours with no crashes, hangs, errors or freezes.

I still need a new mobo and psu to push the OC furthur, this is the most stable config I could find with these parts and wish to get the info out to anyone with a 760g chipset so they can atleast play bf4.
I spent 9 hours playing bf4 lastnight without one crash on all low settings with over 100fps constant and no dips.

Vcore: 1.35
FSB: 200
Multiplier: 20.0

I used AMD overdrive to make sure the OC was across all cores
temps were 45c idle with hyper 212 evo with two sickleflow fans.

Now here is the key, I have an ASrock POS 760G that with all these settings aside, stability comes into play on these half assed boards on the following settings.

Starting with Ram
I have 2 4 gig sticks that only run in dual channel with 1.45 power to the sticks running at ddr3 1600
That being said once I set RAM to 1600 and the power to the ram at 1.45 i was able to boot into windows with dual channel active

Now HT and NB
My motherboard's NB is set to 2200, this is the most stable NB I can find with the other settings
HT width AUTO
HT speed is AUTO and shows as 2300 in cpuz

I left the chipset voltage adjustments for NB, 1.8v and SB to auto

spreadspectrum off
APM off
turbo off
cool n queit off
thermal throtling off
secure virtual machine off
c state off

Hope this helps people, and to anyone trying to copy these settings all I tried to accomplish was lowering all settings on board as to put as little power to everything as I could so my CPU and GPU didnt have to compete so much. Even those 4.0ghz isnt lightning fast. you can play bf4 on all low settings with a stable fps and getting to have fun with your friends until you can afford better upgrades.
goodluck!, and ty all for those suggestions on motherboards and PSU's!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmee View Post

I would go with higher wattage, with a single 12v rail of 50A+, from a good reputable company. With my system, with the relatively low power plain GTX 650 (its not the Ti), I can get my Kill-A-Watt meter to read 400 watts with everything overclocked. With his 7870, theres a good another 100 watts of potential, plus you would want about a 25% overkill. Maximum efficiency on psus seems to be in the range of 50-70% of the power draw, so if youre generally not overloading the system, you dont want a too high a wattage rating either.
How do you pull so much power ? I have my 6300 @ 4.5 with a 7870 LE OC'd w/ +20 power limit, 2 HDD and an SSD along with 10 120 MM fans and I barely pull 450w at the wall and I'm sure you know my Tahiti LE pulls waaaaaayyyyyy more power than a 650.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Quote:
How do you pull so much power ? I have my 6300 @ 4.5 with a 7870 LE OC'd w/ +20 power limit, 2 HDD and an SSD along with 10 120 MM fans and I barely pull 450w at the wall and I'm sure you know my Tahiti LE pulls waaaaaayyyyyy more power than a 650.
Yep, the Tahiti LE does pull much more power than the 650 Kepler. The big difference is that Im at 4.9ghz. Also to pull that much, Im running prime95 small FFTs AND MSI Kombustor at the same time.
biggrin.gif
Its a power supply test, heh.

Of course at idle, with CnQ etc enabled, Im only using 75 watts.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
[email protected], depending on how much voltage you need to get there, can easily be ~175W+ at the chip under stress testing, or ~220+W after VRM losses. Combine that with 65W from the GPU, ~50+W from the remainder of the system (fans, drives, chipset, southbridge, controllers, RAM etc), that's near 350W. [email protected] is 88% efficiant. 350W/0.88= ~400W from the kill yo watt o meta.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts