Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I plan to upgrade to 8th generation processors and motherboard and I rather use ASUS motherboards. Never had problems with them. As for the custom building, I am certain I might PAY someone to build it for me professionally but it might cost me too much when I can just do it myself. However the moot point I just want the best Ultimate gaming system. So i can play Battlefield V and newer FPS games. I don't play much demanding stuff but i know games will be demanding especially with Star Citizen.

These are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K overclocked to 4.4 (I don't plan to overclock the new system anymore)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB
HDD: WD Black 1TB (2010)
HDD: WD Blue 500GB (2010)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C9 4x4GB
MBD: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard
PSU: CorsairGS800 (Believe it or not it's still running since 2013 lol)
Monitor: BENQ 1920X1080p

So what's a good build to start with to outperform this system? I wouldn't mind have i7 8700k but I am open to suggestions...

And....go!

These are my userbenchmarks
UserBenchmarks: Game 74%, Desk 76%, Work 52%
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - 90.1%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 76.3%
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB - 62.3%
HDD: WD Black 1TB (2010) - 63.9%
HDD: WD Blue 500GB (2010) - 61.7%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C9 4x4GB - 52.7%
MBD: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77
Seems like I need to get to UFO status which I want! (Source: http://www.userbenchmark.com/)

Thanks for reading my thread. And wow i really like how Overclock improved their website.

New Update ( I replaced my Corsair PSU to a new PSU and it's an EVGA 860 BQ since my older PSU is old. I know it's a bit overkill but I have been told there's never a problem to have much power in case even when I don't need it.

·
PC Noob
108 Posts
Hi,

Are you on a particular budget? The 8600K is a 6c/6t CPU which would be a fairly good upgrade, overclocks well also.

For motherboard the AsRock z370 Taichi is pretty nice, If you would like to stick with Asus the Strix Z370-E is roughly around the same price. If you don't plan to overclock further then around 4.4GHz I dont think you would need anything more expensive.

As for ram, It's a hard one due to the current pricing of DDR4 (depends on region) G.Skill Trident Z seems like the way to go though.

Also AMD Ryzen's CPU's are great also if you would want to go down that path :)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already said i plan not to overclock it though. I just want a better build. What's wrong with the 8700k? I would need a list of proper good ideas like what is a good monitor? Should i go 144hz? I never really used GSKILL maybe once they are okay but i always liked Corsair. I never had problems with their products.

I'll take your word for it.

·
Old Fart
610 Posts
Hi,

Are you on a particular budget? The 8600K is a 4c/8t CPU which would be a fairly good upgrade, overclocks well also.

For motherboard the AsRock z370 Taichi is pretty nice, If you would like to stick with Asus the Strix Z370-E is roughly around the same price. If you don't plan to overclock further then around 4.4GHz I dont think you would need anything more expensive.

As for ram, It's a hard one due to the current pricing of DDR4 (depends on region) G.Skill Trident Z seems like the way to go though.

Also AMD Ryzen's CPU's are great also if you would want to go down that path :)

Been doing a little research for next build myself. The 8600k is a 6 core/6 thread CPU @ turbo of 4.3. Overclocks very well to 5Ghz. The 8700k is 6 core 12 thread monster that turbos @4.7

Personally I would go for the 8600k with money saved get a better GPU

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
If you don't want to overclock getting an unlocked processor is a bit of a waste. The only advantage it would give you is letting the motherboard overclock with multi-core enhancement so all six cores can achieve the single-core turbo boost. Otherwise the i7-8700K only boosts to 4.3 GHz when using all six cores. If that's a feature you don't particularly cafe for, you can get the i7-8700 which has the same six-core turbo.

It's difficult to give good recommendations without a budget. We can recommend a solid high-end system, but it doesn't do you any good if it's more money than you're willing to spend.

Why are you looking to upgrade? Is your system having trouble with some games? Are you upgrading just to upgrade?

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
You might not OC now but in the future when 8 core CPUs are common and devs start coding for that, you might OC then lol.
If you play FPS games then 144hz is a must IMO, my Nexeus EDG hasn't disappointed for the $380 I paid but IDK what your preferences are for panel type. Every time I see someone complain about $600 monitors with IPS glow or other panels bleeding, I'm really happy I bought it.
Corsair doesn't make ram FYI neither does G.Skill, Micron, Hynix and Samsung make ram. They just bin it, slap on some heatspreaders and sell it. With DDR4 prices I'd get the cheapest kit of 3200Mhz 8Gbx2 you can find as there's really no advantage above that but you'll pay a lot more for 4000Mhz.

The better Asus boards this time around cost too much IMO, you can get an Asus Prime 8 phase board or one of the Asrock Extreme4 12 phase board for the same price. If you never plan on overclocking I really don't see the appeal of a z370 board over a B360. I believe the B360s have MCE too.

If it were me I'd get an 8700k, Asrock Extreme4 and a factory OC'd 1080TI like the FTW. If you need to have an Asus board the Prime isn't terrible but the 8700k will only OC so far before you start killing the VRM.

If you know you'll never OC I'd get the 8700k, a B360 with MCE and the same GPU.

What boards have you had fail on you? Asus boards aren't exactly better than Asrock or Gigabyte and I've heard the RMA process is horrible.

The "ultimate" gaming rig is pretty easy to figure, get the fastest CPU for single thread with the fastest GPU, on Intel the ram speed doesn't matter as much so the best PPD is 3000Mhz or 3200Mhz. The Titan is an option but I wouldn't pay that to only run games.

@OTHG_ChefTreb You might know this already but the 8700k only turbos to 4.7 on one thread to meet TDP, I believe the all core is 4.3. MCE will push the 4.7 all core.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
You still haven't given us a budget. We have now reached a point that I think is too close to a processor release to make a purchase today. If you can't wait, you won't be dissatisfied with processors currently available and all signs indicate Intel's next salvo of processors will be compatible with current 300-series boards. Give us a budget and we'll be more than happy to give you an upgrade template.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
If you were buying today, here is what I would suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($347.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($212.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $834.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-28 05:24 EDT-0400

You can salvage your storage devices, video card, and case. If you want to switch cases, there's plenty of room in the budget for that. If you want a newer SSD, I recommend the Crucial MX500. If you'd rather have the 2.5" form factor, it's $5 more. If you want to upgrade your video card, save up a bit of money and wait for Black Friday. New video cards should drop between now and then and prices should normalize by the holidays.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you plan on staying at your current resolution I would suggest Intel and Nvidia, if you plan on 1440p I would take a look at AMD and...AMD (i.e. ATI for the old school folks) and a FreeSync monitor.

You get a lot of value for your money with AMD, as well as a very good CPU in a Ryzen 7 2700X, and a motherboard that will support the next gen CPU's from AMD, which brings more value.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)

You can salvage your storage devices, video card, and case. If you want to switch cases, there's plenty of room in the budget for that. If you want a newer SSD, I recommend the Crucial MX500. If you'd rather have the 2.5" form factor, it's $5 more. If you want to upgrade your video card, save up a bit of money and wait for Black Friday. New video cards should drop between now and then and prices should normalize by the holidays.
I like the set up you provided but should I stay the same with my monitor or go 1440? I am not a fan of that cooler. I intend to get Corsair coolers self sealed coolers. Cuz if I get that cooler then I'd have to clean my case more.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
You don't need to clean your case more with a tower cooler, I went 2 years without cleaning mine (no filters) and it still wasn't that bad when I did. If I'd left the filter in the front I wouldn't have needed to at all.

IMO Corsair makes crap AIOs, I have no idea how many times I've responded to threads where someone had high temps using a corsair CLC on coffee lake CPUs. Usually it's the poor mounting pressure provided but sometimes it's pump failure.
The EVGA 280mm and TT 360mm seem to be great units that might actually beat a $70 air cooler.

I would also do the monitor upgrade. 1440p 27" at 144hz is very nice with my 1080, no performance issues at all. I got the Nixeus EDG for $380 during a 15% off ebay sale and I love it, no glow or bleeding issues.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts

I like the set up you provided but should I stay the same with my monitor or go 1440? I am not a fan of that cooler. I intend to get Corsair coolers self sealed coolers. Cuz if I get that cooler then I'd have to clean my case more.
I wouldn't step up in resolution without upgrading the video card.

I wouldn't recommend a CLC because they're usually considerably more expensive than tower coolers for marginally better performance. If you want to go liquid, spend the money for something like a Swiftech H220-X.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Yeah I forgot about the GPU they have. A 1060 won't get you very far at 1440p unless you only want 60fps.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
At the expense of paying more money for a temporary cooling solution.
No one will lynch you for using one but they are temporary and most have pretty poor performance for the money spent.
I would be fine with a small form factor as long as it's wide (or deep?) enough for a good CPU cooler and has a few places for intake fans.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
AIO have a cleaner look and allow for a smaller, more compact case?
I think I'd rather have a quieter system than a "cleaner" look. As for a smaller more compact case, that only matters if you don't have space. There's still shorter air coolers that work just fine. If you're not getting something along the lines of a Swiftech H220 X2, get an air cooler.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts