Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the amd fx9590 cpu and installed it into my new asrock extreme 3 r2.0 motherboard. I just noticed the voltage on the motherboard supports up to 125 watts for the 8core cpu's but my cpu im using is 220watts. I have it all installed into my computer and using it as we speak. just curious if this will burn out my computer in the near future.

Also not really related but my psu is making weird sounds kind of like static arcing. its not loud its kind of faint but is this and issue as well? lol
tongue.gif

·
Baller on a Budget
1,304 Posts
The FX9590 needs to be used with a high end 990FX motherboard that has been tested by the manufacturer to be compatible (Crosshair V, UD7, Extreme 9 and Fatal1ty Pro are all compatible). Your 970 Extreme 3 isn't designed for it and there is a distinct possibility it will burn up.

I would recommend downgrading to a 8350 or upgrading your motherboard. In the meantime I wouldn't run any CPU stress tests and definitely wouldn't overclock it.

That power supply noise doesn't sound good, what brand is it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentHydra View Post

The FX9590 needs to be used with a high end 990FX motherboard that has been tested by the manufacturer to be compatible (Crosshair V, UD7, Extreme 9 and Fatal1ty Pro are all compatible). Your 970 Extreme 3 isn't designed for it and there is a distinct possibility it will burn up.

I would recommend downgrading to a 8350 or upgrading your motherboard. In the meantime I wouldn't run any CPU stress tests and definitely wouldn't overclock it.

That power supply noise doesn't sound good, what brand is it?
I I actually returned the asrock extreme 3 and exchanged for the Saber tooth 990fx r2.0 but I also have to upgrade my cooling because the one I have does not cut it. It's a Arctic freezer 7. Cpu Temps are at 50 - 65c on idle, very bad haha. But since I upgraded my mobo my drivers in Windows are not compatible so every it me I start my computer I get BSOD. The power supply is the Thermaltake TR2 600watt it was 60 dollars, pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Give it a fresh start on the OS.

For the FX-9590 and basically any attempt at a ~5ghz 8-core FX chip, you'll have to plan on one of the BIG AIO CLCs or custom loop water. I recommend the CM Nepton 280L if you have room for it in your case. (it's a 140mm x 280mm rad, so including the tanks it is about 14 x 31cm).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod View Post

Give it a fresh start on the OS.

For the FX-9590 and basically any attempt at a ~5ghz 8-core FX chip, you'll have to plan on one of the BIG AIO CLCs or custom loop water. I recommend the CM Nepton 280L if you have room for it in your case. (it's a 140mm x 280mm rad, so including the tanks it is about 14 x 31cm).
I only have room for a small rad unfortantly but I did pick up a new Phanteks PH-TC12DX could cooler with dual fans. Hopefully that helps. Oh, and 3 high performance chassis fans:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Which is your case?which is your budget for a heatsink?
I just grabbed a new heat sink by Phanteks, model is PH-TC12DX,whata your thoughts? Hope it works. I don't mind even under clocking a tad.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

Why do you have two of these threads?
tongue.gif
haha, I made this one first, but then I thought it would be better if I posted in the Amd category for help, but I left this one here just because
tongue.gif

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
AMD - General was the right choice as it was help for an AMD based build. It doesn't really matter that much to be honest. You may want to rename this thread to something like "Lock please" and delete everything out of your first post, or provide a link to the other thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts