Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I took of the HSF from my x800gt to find out what core it was, and when I took it off I noticed there was massive amounts of thermal paste. When I put it back on, I put AS5 on the heatsink then wiped off the excess with lint-free rags, then applied AS5 to the GPU like you would to an open-die processor.

Now when I boot up my computer, the back of the card (opposite from the GPU) gets so hot I almost burned myself on it, and the HSF doesn't even feel warm. The computer crashes after about 2 minutes.

Should I have bathed the HSF/GPU with thermal paste like the assemblers did? I thought too much paste was bad

Please Help.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
It seemed like they used a thermal tape or adhesive more than a paste on the HS of the last ATI card I dissassembled (X700 Pro) and just smooshed it back together after inspecting the card (HS seemed loose--I would lose video intermittently--reattaching it seemed to fix this...)It could be that their tolerances are bigger than for CPU HS

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stuff that was on mine wasn't sticky at all, it was a bright silver, almost foamy paste. A lot less ticky than AS5.

I just took off the HSF again, and some of the AS5 turned white...... Did I burn the AS5?

And what should I do, just wipe the old stuff off and reapply using alot more compund. Because when it had gollops of paste on it before the temps were fine, then when I only used a little bit, the temps skyrocketed.

I'm also going to file down the little foam feet like nagle suggested in that thread Zip linked.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should the spring loaded screws be tight, really tight, a bit loose.......

I know they have to be equal but how tight should they be?

EDIT: The filing isn't going to happen. I found out the little feet on my card are foam, not rubber, so they're really squishy. Shweet.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Tighten them to a stop by hand, then back off 1/4 turn on each one.

• Rep+
Reactions: Progenicus

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zipnogg

Take off a quarter turn is what I think he's saying.

Yes.....back up after hitting the stop.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I loaded on the AS5, hand-tightened to stop, quarter turn back, and it's working now.

My new problem is that Windows, in all it's wisdom, decided to delete 5 key d.ll while doing a diskcheck. Now I have to wait 45 minutes while it reinstalls.

If it isn't one thing....

Thanks for your help guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts