Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got 3 BSODs in less then one hour and when the BSOD comes up, it shows for half a second then automaticly reboots and I can't even see what the problem is. Anyone know why I a fix or something that will make my BSOD stay a bit longer so I can see whats causing it? Thanks

(edit) Just so you know, the first BSOD happened when I was typing some HW in MS Word, next one happened after I opened FF, and the last one happened at the menu in BF2142.

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by VRWM
View Post

Do you have a spare video card that you could swap in?

Not in my house but my friends has an X800 and 7900GS PCIe that they can probably let me borrow, they're right next door too

My computer still runs fine with my current video card, it just automaticly reboots itself after showing the BSOD for like a second.

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by VRWM
View Post

Ah You could try a repair install for windows If something is wrong with windows files and thats whats giving you a BSOD problem solved if not it may prolong the BSOD from happening and you could find out whats wrong? Also are you using winamp? Does the BSOD happen when using any particular program?

I have winamp installed but it wasn't running with those BSODs happened. And the BSODs just appeared randomly. I'll run BF2142 again and see if the BSOD comes back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker
View Post

I had that same issues when my memory was unstable. Have you recently changed anything with your memory?

Nope, my computer has been running at the same settings for like month and it was fine, had a few BSODs like once in a while but it happened three times today so im a bit worried. Anyways, it seems to be fine now. I'll run a few games or two and see what happens. I just played a couple rounds of CS:S this afternoon and everything was fine.

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacKz5o View Post
I have winamp installed but it wasn't running with those BSODs happened. And the BSODs just appeared randomly. I'll run BF2142 again and see if the BSOD comes back.

Nope, my computer has been running at the same settings for like month and it was fine, had a few BSODs like once in a while but it happened three times today so im a bit worried. Anyways, it seems to be fine now. I'll run a few games or two and see what happens. I just played a couple rounds of CS:S this afternoon and everything was fine.
I think you need to start at the basics. Take the pc back to all stock, and test to see if it does it again. If it doesn't, then it's a stability issue. If it does do it, then we know hardware or software conflict somewhere.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Check if you have the latest version of Winamp. It was giving me a BSOD because it had bad coding in it, but i doubt it was it because it wasn't running. It might be something you might want to look into. The BSOD could be a numerous amount of things. Do some diagnostics, if you can't slow the screen down so you can read whats wrong. Try Memtest, scan for artifacts, try uninstalling newly install programs. From the ramdomness of whats happening, I'll have to agree with Krunk, it may be your memory, but like i said It could be a numerous amount of different things. Do like Krunk said, back to basics is a good idea.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacKz5o View Post
If you've been having BSODs your OC is possibly unstable. After OCing did you test it out with a program like Prime95 or Orthos?

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok.. it just happened again. Im going to do a couple of registry scans first and then i'll run at stock and see what happens. BRB.

BTW: The BSOD said: A problem has occured with your computer and needs to shutdown to prevent any more damage to your computer. It didn't give any information about what was causing it but it said "STOP 0x000000008E" and a bunch of other numbers and letters.

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just had 2 BSODs at stock settingsk, one at desktop, and another one in FF. Im on my other computer now.. Im thinking its the RAM, im going do a memtest in BIOS and see if that shows up any errors.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
After millions of problems... I gotta say... definitely check out the RAM if you can. I've had a lot of problems that end up being RAM-related.

Also, just be aware that RAM can pass a 24 hour mem-test and still be defective. I've done it.

• Rep+
Reactions: JacKz5o

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheInformationator
View Post

After millions of problems... I gotta say... definitely check out the RAM if you can. I've had a lot of problems that end up being RAM-related.

Also, just be aware that RAM can pass a 24 hour mem-test and still be defective. I've done it.

Ya I thought it was something wrong with the RAM at first but im pretty sure now that its my anti-virus program Kaspersky thats causing the BSODs. Apparently I installed some firefox plugins and since they install in the "background" my Kaspersky IS6 would identify it as a trojan thats installing itself stealthly so I would have to click the allow/deny whatever. Whenever I go to click allow, I get a BSOD 5 seconds later.. same thing happened in BF2142 because I just reinstalled it to play and all the server packets, IPs, and stuff trigger Kaspersky's anti-hacker detection. Iv turned my AV off for now and everything works just like before. I even played CS:S and it ran fine, only a tad bit slower since im running at stock lol.

Now the main problem is for me to find out what the hell is wrong with my anti-virus lol.

Going to reboot to my OCed settings.. BRB

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker
View Post

I would think about using another AVP, possibly Avast, which I personally love.

Im currently on Window's firewall until I can get Kaspersky fixed lol. My subscription ends in July '07 so maybe after then I'll get something else

And its definitely Kaspersky, I just played BF2142, CS:S, and did all my usual stuff with no BSOD, I open Kaspersky and the blue screen pops up lol.

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickJS View Post
oc ish unstable maybe?
Im 23 hours stable, too lazy to wait for the extra hour lol. Anyways, if you read my previous posts, I found that the problem is definitely my anti-virus program

1 - 18 of 18 Posts