Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I need some help regarding buying new ram and I would like to hear your opinions about few available ram I have for buying in my country. What I want is to be able to run ram at 1866mhz with 9-9-9-24 1T timings if posible. Which of these are best candidate for this?

http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/detail.jsp?prodline=5&catid=34&prodgroupid=232&id=1414

http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/detail.jsp?prodline=5&catid=34&prodgroupid=232&id=1253

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX318C9T3K4_16.pdf

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX318C9SR_4.pdf

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX318C10FBK2_8.pdf
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,632 Posts
Just look for modules with a frequency of at least 1866 MHz which have a very low CAS latency. The 1866 MHz modules with the lowest latency will be the best choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kingston hyperX savage 1866mhz has the lowest timings 9-10-11-30 so maybe he is the best choice.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strajder View Post

Kingston hyperX savage 1866mhz has the lowest timings 9-10-11-30 so maybe he is the best choice.
I have those but I got the 2400 MHz modules. I am running 64 GBs at 1600 MHz. I am not sure however whether you will be able to alter the timings to the ones you specified and run the RAM stable.

C9U6eUC.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have an option to buy savage 2x4 gb 2400mhz modules for much lower price then modules with 1866mhz. Is there a better chance to use 2400mhz modules and downclok them to 1866mhz with tightened timings?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strajder View Post

I also have an option to buy savage 2x4 gb 2400mhz modules for much lower price then modules with 1866mhz. Is there a better chance to use 2400mhz modules and downclok them to 1866mhz with tightened timings?
JEDEC and XMP profiles for the 2400 MHz modules are as follow. JEDEC: 1600, XMP1: 2400, XMP2: 2133, for 1866 you will have to manually overclock to 1866 as there is no such profile. There is no downclocking. A 2400 module doesnt mean it runs at 2400 but it can under certain circumstances. The standard frequency is always either 1333 or 1600. For example I cant run my 8 x 8 modules at 2400 because there is too much stress on the memory controller with such an amount of modules installed and therefore I am forced to run JEDEC.
 

·
Chainsaw noise far off
Joined
·
6,011 Posts
There is a good chance none of them modules will achieve 1866 1.5v 9-9-9-24 1t.

Some ddr3 2000 with cas 9 timings would be your best bet for 9-9-9-24 1t @1866mhz. or of course actual 1866 rated at that speed.

Some cas 10 2133 may also have a good chance at achieving what you want,and maybe some cas 10 2000 if it's like 10-10-10-27.

No ram is going to guarantee those timings unless it's rated for it.

I have 2000 mhz. ram rated at 9-9-9-27 that will run 2133 with those same timings so with good quality 1600 cas 9 modules you may be able to overclock to 1866.

Since the kingston modules at 1866 are 9-10-11 I don't think you will have much luck tightening the timings.

Finally if anything I would trust the patriot viper for better performance over any kingston modules.

I know not much help but maybe you can see where I am going with this.I am no expert on memory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsi38t View Post

There is a good chance none of them modules will achieve 1866 1.5v 9-9-9-24 1t.

Some ddr3 2000 with cas 9 timings would be your best bet for 9-9-9-24 1t @1866mhz. or of course actual 1866 rated at that speed.

Some cas 10 2133 may also have a good chance at achieving what you want,and maybe some cas 10 2000 if it's like 10-10-10-27.

No ram is going to guarantee those timings unless it's rated for it.

I have 2000 mhz. ram rated at 9-9-9-27 that will run 2133 with those same timings so with good quality 1600 cas 9 modules you may be able to overclock to 1866.

Since the kingston modules at 1866 are 9-10-11 I don't think you will have much luck tightening the timings.

Finally if anything I would trust the patriot viper for better performance over any kingston modules.

I know not much help but maybe you can see where I am going with this.I am no expert on memory.
I understand what are you saying, I thought that modules with lower timing such are 9-10-11 have better chance for tightening then modules with higher latencies.

I stumbled on one review for hyperX fury 1866mhz modules with 10-11-10 timings where guy said that he was able to get stable 9-9-9-24 1T with 1.65v.

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX318C10FBK2_8.pdf

http://www.overclockers.com/kingston-hyperx-fury-ddr3-1866-2x4gb-memory-kit-review
 

·
I took this profile pic
Joined
·
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strajder View Post

I also have an option to buy savage 2x4 gb 2400mhz modules for much lower price then modules with 1866mhz. Is there a better chance to use 2400mhz modules and downclok them to 1866mhz with tightened timings?
Timings don't matter anymore. Timings haven't mattered since DDR3 was introduced. Downclocking RAM with the hopes of getting better timings is pointless. I wouldn't spend a dollar more on RAM with better timings. That's how unimportant it is. Whenever people see a number that exists, they automatically think it means something. Timings are clock cycle latencies. Unless you have an absurdly high latency in an extreme case, it's all the same. 2400 MHz RAM is going to perform better than 1600 MHz RAM regardless of timings.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top