Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm planning to build a fairly high end system and am buying each part individually when they get on sale. I'm currently looking at the i7 6700k at $442 (Link: https://www.amazon.ca/Intel-Boxed-I7-6700K-Processor-BX80662I76700K/dp/B012M8LXQW?ie=UTF8&tag=pcp0f-20). Is that a good price to buy the i7 or should I wait ? Also any other build suggestions

Build:

CPU: I7 6700k (Haven't got)

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A or MSI Z170a Tomahawk AC (Haven't got)

RAM: 4x8gb DDR4 2400 Gskill Ripjaws V (Have)

GPU: Evga 970 (Have)

HDD: 1tb western digital blue (Have)

SSD: 120gb kingston (Have)

PSU: Corsair 750 (Haven't got)

Case: Not sure yet

·
What should be here ?
5,744 Posts
Do you have a system now ? What is it ? Also, if you're planning to go 6700K, I'd rather opt for a X99 board with 5820K. You'd get 2 extra cores although less IPC, but if you're going to be predominantly gaming, you'd hardly notice any difference. If you can take advantage of the cores though, you'll get a faster system for your money. You already have quad channel RAM so RAM shouldn't be an issue. Moreover, what PSU are you planning ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

Do you have a system now ? What is it ? Also, if you're planning to go 6700K, I'd rather opt for a X99 board with 5820K. You'd get 2 extra cores although less IPC, but if you're going to be predominantly gaming, you'd hardly notice any difference. If you can take advantage of the cores though, you'll get a faster system for your money. You already have quad channel RAM so RAM shouldn't be an issue. Moreover, what PSU are you planning ?
Yeah my system now is

CPU: i5 3570

GPU: EVGA 970

Motherboard: Gigabyte z77

Ram: Kingston 4x2gb ddr3

Sorry the RAM I have is 4x2gb DDR4 not 4x8gb (typo). And for PSU I was thinking the corsair 750w or this (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438025). I'm really bad at picking a proper PSU so some help would be very appreciated (around $100 if possible). I'll be primarily gaming and programming (I'm in Comp Sci).

·
What should be here ?
5,744 Posts
I'd suggest you get a better one than that model. A 650W should more than enough for your setup, so I'd recommend this or better yet, this one from Antec

1 - 4 of 4 Posts