Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot find graphics drivers to save my life for this machine. Intel's site says that the GMA 900 is not supported and they do not make Win 7 drivers.

Fine.

are there some other drivers that work? some compatibility mode? or custom hacked drivers? I really dont want to put XP on this thing. Its just for someone to literally use Word, Excel, and email.

ANy help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
careful with those i915 drivers in Win7, they will install the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator app on your computer, which hogs memory like crazy, also you will have a black screen after login for about 3 seconds.. same for resolution change, the "switch user" button on the logon, and pretty much anything that will cause an abrupt change, i advise using the generic VGA drivers until a hacked driver comes out with WDDM support

·
Chief of Snark
1,333 Posts
As someone who has used the D610, I'd recommend not running Windows 7 on it. Windows 7 on a Pentium M is a lot of OS for that single-core CPU to chew on, and if you've never replaced the hard drive, you probably have an older, slower one that will be taxed hard.

I'd recommend a D620 as being the minimum Latitude in that line for Windows 7; I'd stick with XP on the D610.

·
Registered
30 Posts
im running it on my D610 at above average speed for a Pentium M, but i did replace the hard drive for a 7,200 rpm 160GB one for about 100$ (its a pretty good investment if your stuck with this laptop for a while

·
Chief of Snark
1,333 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanoku
View Post

im running it on my D610 at above average speed for a Pentium M, but i did replace the hard drive for a 7,200 rpm 160GB one for about 100$ (its a pretty good investment if your stuck with this laptop for a while

$100 for a hard drive, when $200-250 will probably get you a used Latitude D620 or D630 dual-core laptop on Craigslist, so IMHO, not a great deal.

Also, it's become nearly impossible to find 7200RPM IDE notebook drives. Today's PATA notebook drives are pretty much all 5400RPM now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...%20%2f%20ATA-6

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Not to be unhelpful but honestly with a machine that old you should start looking to Linux + LibreOffice to get any kind of use out of it.

My netbook is comparable I guess and I wouldn't put windows back on it for the reasons of bad driver support and terrible resource management. Linux just works better on older tech.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts