Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I'm getting a new pc and this is the first time I'll have built a pc myself (I custom built 1 before but didn't assemble it myself.) Any way I was wondering if all the parts were compatible. The PC is for primarily gaming at the moment. So here are the specs in no particular order.

Edit: Ok so here is the final (hopefully) product:

CoolerMaster HAF-X Full Tower

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit

Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive

MSI GeForce GTX 690 915MHz 4GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI (second in time to come)

Sony Optiarc 24x Internal DVD Multi Writer (DVD-RW/RAM)

Corsair Memory Cooling Hydro Series H100

Intel Core i7-3770K S1155 3.5GHz 8MB

ASRock Z77 Professional S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX

Crucial 128GB m4 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive

G.Skill 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133MHz DIMM CL11 Ripjaw Z

Corsair Memory 1050W Professional Series HX1050 Power Supply

Many thanks to everyone who helped so far (+repped most if not all of you) I have taken lots of your advice and picked out parts as similar as I could to the ones suggested. I would greatly appreciate one last compatibility check to make 100% sure that all the parts will work together when I get them. Also want to make 100% sure that I have enough power for everything, if those to things get the A-OK then I will be purchasing this weekend.
smile.gif

Thanks guys,

Chris.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
With A Z77 board maybe consider Ivybridge (3770k or 3570K), or even SB-E if you have the budget which I would imagine you do consider your components. Other than that it looks like a great build!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding the possible different processor the site I'm buying off doesn't have the biggest selection but it is decent, so the only processor it has out of the ones you mentioned is the 3770k and I'm wondering what the difference is as they both have the same clock speed and are very similar in price so is there a reason to get that over the 2700k? Also I forgot to mention that I probably will overclock in the future so is the 3770k better for that or what?

·
Registered
544 Posts
the build is completely overkill , looks like u just went with the best parts avalible in store. if you want any advice tell us how much the minimum and maximum you are willing to spend , what games you play , what resolution(how many monitors) do you need any professional gaming peripherals ? gaming monitor/s ? how you feel about water cooling the whole rig and not using the h100 h2o for dummies ? =)

oh and btw i could be wrong but i do think that you cant SLI the GTX 690 on that board since its a dual GPU card so if you put 2 of those in SLI it will use x4x4x4x4 on that board instead of x8x8 like with single GPU cards also you dont need a 1200W power supply for that build since one card will use 300w at 100% load so 600w for 2 cards and around 250-300 more for overclocked CPU some HDDs and case fans.

for SLI 690 your gonna need a mobo like this EVGA Z68 FTW 160-SB-E689-KR

·
Registered
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeNinjaCat View Post

Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding the possible different processor the site I'm buying off doesn't have the biggest selection but it is decent, so the only processor it has out of the ones you mentioned is the 3770k and I'm wondering what the difference is as they both have the same clock speed and are very similar in price so is there a reason to get that over the 2700k? Also I forgot to mention that I probably will overclock in the future so is the 3770k better for that or what?
In general, it's probably a better idea to get a Z77 motherboard and a 3770k. Newer tech, better power efficiency, and more features. To name a few, PCI 3.0, USB 3.0 on board.

As another person said, you won't need a 1200w PSU for that build. An 850w should be more than enough.

I'd also recommend getting either an OCZ Vertex 4, Samsung 830, or Crucial M4 over the Corsair Force GT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason I went with very good parts is because I would like the pc to last me for as long as possible. The minimum I'm willing to spend? Is there really a minimum? I mean if you can get me a good pc for a euro I'll take it lol. Maximum? Around 2500 euro with a little leeway. I play many games Cod4, BF3, Skyrim etc. At the moment 1 monitor at 1920x1080 but plan on getting 1 to 2 more at the same resolution in time. No peripherals needed. As for the water cooling I'm not really sure as I don't know much at all about watercooling so maybe you could explain what watercooling the whole rig would entail?

Ok so I will switch the 2700k with the 3770k.

It seems my main choices for ssd on the site I'm using are:OCZ Technology 120GB Agility 3 SSD Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive, Samsung 128GB 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" SSD, OCZ Technology 120GB Vertex 2 Series SATA-300 3.5" Solid State and also a fem intel ones, so any of these better than my current selection?

Is the 850w enough for possible overclocking/another graphics card in future?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Quote:

The reason I went with very good parts is because I would like the pc to last me for as long as possible. The minimum I'm willing to spend? Is there really a minimum? I mean if you can get me a good pc for a euro I'll take it lol. Maximum? Around 2500 euro with a little leeway. I play many games Cod4, BF3, Skyrim etc. At the moment 1 monitor at 1920x1080 but plan on getting 1 to 2 more at the same resolution in time. No peripherals needed. As for the water cooling I'm not really sure as I don't know much at all about watercooling so maybe you could explain what watercooling the whole rig would entail?
Ok so I will switch the 2700k with the 3770k.
I will have a look at different ssd's.
Is the 850w enough for possible overclocking/another graphics card in future?
If you're looking at doing Quadfire (2x GTX690's) it may be prudent to get a 1000w-1200w PSU. 690's are 300w TDP each.

Water cooling is an option, but it adds a lot of thought and planning to your build. A good place to start research is in the Water Cooling Essentials thread. Also keep in mind it may be a few months before water cooling the GTX690 is an option, there are currently no waterblocks available for that card.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it seems from one of the replies above that 2 690's is not an option with my mobo.

Does the 690 really need to be cooled that much?

The watercooling I have planned doesn't require much planning or anything does it?

·
Registered
544 Posts
in EU i would go for something like this with ur budget :

and all the money thats left put into water cooling the whole rig. thats what i call future proof =)

·
Registered
530 Posts
No the 690's run incredibly cool with the stock cooler, watercooling is completely optional.

A better motherboard for running 2x 690's would be the ASRock Z77 Professional, which has 2 PCI 3.0 x16 slots. Also a great board otherwise. Probably your best option until the Asus Maximus V Formula is released.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
.. if your budget gets too high try this
http://www.ocaholic.ch/xoops/html/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=724&keywords=asrock+z77+extreme
or any other better board of that branding. this board can support quad sli ( only with two 690s ) or tri sli with three regular cards.

watercooling does need good planing. i built some watercooled systems and it can easily eat up the whole day or two.
it depends on what you want to cool, how high you want to OC it and how much money you can spend... you should consider theese questions
and share them here with us..

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Why not a LGA2011 build????
kindly give any other reason than native usb3.0 support.
Ivy bridge runs very hot when overclocked and don't as much oc potential like sandy bridge unless one is doing ln2 cooling.
Change the ram to ripjawsZ(for lga2011) or ripjawsX(for lga1155),
Change the ssd to ocz vertex3 or crucial m4,
Change the psu to seasonic X1250 (since you may go with 2x gtx690) but even a quality 1000w psu like seasonic platinum 1000w can run 2x gtx690,
I would suggest these,
cpu- i7 3820/i7 3930k(overkill)
mobo- asus x79 sabertooth/asus rampageIV extreme(again overkill)
ram- 4x4gb gskill ripjawsZ 1866mhz
psu- seasonic x1250/seasonic platinum 1000w
ssd- ocz vertex3 120gb/crucial m4 128gb
Hope you like my suggestion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitGT View Post

in EU i would go for something like this with ur budget :
and all the money thats left put into water cooling the whole rig. thats what i call future proof =)
Ok so the thing is the parts I have specced are some of the best the website I'm using has to offer so unfortunately I can't get a lot of those parts.

I don't really know what water cooling the whole rig entails, so could someone explain please?

I have heard that 2 680's in sli is better than a single 690 so would I be better going for that rather than going with the 690 seeing as I can't add a second one?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Go with gtx690 because:
1. it has almost same oc potential as gtx680
2. it has lower power consumption than 2x gtx680
3. runs cooler than 2x gtx6800
4. it will also produce less noise than 2x gtx680
5. it looks much better aestitically.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so I'm thinking I'll replace the mobo with ASRock z77 professional keep the 690 and get another in future. Changing the ssd to Samsung 830 series 128gb. So is that good? What about the 3770k and the 2700k as currently I don't use and usb 3.0 stuff and I like the idea of a cooler cpu :/. And should I change the ram now that the mobo has better ram speed? And finally what about the PSU if I will have 2 690 in time?

Edit: Just found this on the site is this the ssd everybody is recommending? Crucial 128GB m4 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive

·
Registered
530 Posts
Quote:

Ok so I'm thinking I'll replace the mobo with ASRock z77 professional keep the 690 and get another in future. Changing the ssd to Samsung 830 series 128gb. So is that good? What about the 3770k and the 2700k as currently I don't use and usb 3.0 stuff and I like the idea of a cooler cpu :/. And should I change the ram now that the mobo has better ram speed? And finally what about the PSU if I will have 2 690 in time?
Get the 3770k, the 690 benefits from PCI 3.0, and if you get another later you will definitely want to have PCI 3.0.

It isn't that the 3770k is insanely hot--as in it's going to put out a lot of heat. It has a very hot core temperature due to the 3D transistors. It bottlenecks at a certain voltage level, but it's still better clock for clock than a 2700k.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Go with corsair hx1050,its much lower priced in the ebuyer.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by itskerby View Post

Get the 3770k, the 690 benefits from PCI 3.0, and if you get another later you will definitely want to have PCI 3.0.
It isn't that the 3770k is insanely hot--as in it's going to put out a lot of heat. It has a very hot core temperature due to the 3D transistors. It bottlenecks at a certain voltage level, but it's still better clock for clock than a 2700k.
From all the benchmarks I've seen pci ex3.0 has no real world difference from pci ex2.0.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket View Post

Go with corsair hx1050,its much lower priced in the ebuyer.com
From all the benchmarks I've seen pci ex3.0 has no real world difference from pci ex2.0.
If he's planning Quadfire in the future, he absolutely needs PCI 3.0. You should check out callsignvega's thread, he has some test results on it. Quadfire keplers are bottlenecked like crazy on PCI2.0

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Go with this rig
Quote:
Originally Posted by itskerby View Post

If he's planning Quadfire in the future, he absolutely needs PCI 3.0. You should check out callsignvega's thread, he has some test results on it. Quadfire keplers are bottlenecked like crazy on PCI2.0
But i7 3820 and asus x79 sabertooth will also support pci ex 3.0,and I've seen people reaching 5ghz with i7 3820 under air.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts