Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking for about a week for a way to transfer my operation system/files to an external HDD, remove my laptop's old HDD, then install new SSD and place all my files and operation system back on the SSD. Almost everything I've ran into you seem to have to have the SSD and HDD plugged in at the same time using adapters or enclosures. So anybody got a link or care to tell me how to do this without the use of an external adapter or enclosure?

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
Best to do a clean install of the OS. That way you can make sure there is no garbage coming back into the SSD from HDD.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33d Junki3 View Post

Best to do a clean install of the OS. That way you can make sure there is no garbage coming back into the SSD from HDD.
Can i do that while keeping my product key?

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
Product key is tied to the OS you have.
Just download the ISO OS version and you can convert to USB format to install with.
Drivers for your laptop are on the manufacture site.

·
New001
2,668 Posts
Quote:

Product key is tied to the OS you have.
Just download the ISO OS version and you can convert to USB format to install with.
Drivers for your laptop are on the manufacture site.
unless its OEM, then you may have to follow a guide like: https://blog.hqcodeshop.fi/archives/207-Transferring-Windows-7-OEM-license-to-a-new-hard-drive.html

copy the stuff to the ext. drive
remove OS HDD, replace with OS SSD
do a fresh install unless you are happy with the specific setup (as sp33d junki3 said)
copy stuff back from ext. drive
profit

alternatively there's plenty of drive imaging programs that will make a image of your system (you can chose to only grab the system files to keep the size as small as possible, excluding the personal data, which you can back up manually later) that you can restore to another drive.
Macrium Reflect Backup + Restore is a nice program, dunno if the free version will do the backup and restore, but the paid version is not too much more (I'm about to buy it, been running my backups with Macrium Reflect (free version) for a while now.)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinFX View Post

unless its OEM, then you may have to follow a guide like: https://blog.hqcodeshop.fi/archives/207-Transferring-Windows-7-OEM-license-to-a-new-hard-drive.html

copy the stuff to the ext. drive
remove OS HDD, replace with OS SSD
do a fresh install unless you are happy with the specific setup (as sp33d junki3 said)
copy stuff back from ext. drive
profit

alternatively there's plenty of drive imaging programs that will make a image of your system (you can chose to only grab the system files to keep the size as small as possible, excluding the personal data, which you can back up manually later) that you can restore to another drive.
Macrium Reflect Backup + Restore is a nice program, dunno if the free version will do the backup and restore, but the paid version is not too much more (I'm about to buy it, been running my backups with Macrium Reflect (free version) for a while now.)
It's not an OEM key, so I created a system image on the external HDD I have, so all I need to create a W10 boot drive using an USB, take out my HDD, install the SSD, install W10 on it, then recover the system image?

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
That is just a pain to do.
Any drivers you want to install, should be on manufacture site.
You just install the OS and when asked for the key enter what you have.

Once you done reinstall your games and software. Just copy your saved files over.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

That is just a pain to do.
Any drivers you want to install, should be on manufacture site.
You just install the OS and when asked for the key enter what you have.

Once you done reinstall your games and software. Just copy your saved files over.
I'll give it a shot, thanks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i installed everything and the touchpad doesn't work, driver issue for sure. They any third party drivers that might work with an "alps touchpad"? I tried synaptics already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts