Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'll try to keep this as brief as possible without leaving anything out.

i'm having trouble getting audio to my receiver with my sig rig. i can't/wont use my gtx 580 for sound because installing the audio drivers for it cause issues with any fullscreen apps and games crash randomly with it.

i currently have audio to my receiver via optical spdif cable from my motherboards sound. the quality is fine for me, i'm not an audiophile. my issue is that it's only 2 channel audio. i've updated my driver but that didn't change anything.

if i go to sound settings, and go to properties of the onboard sound for the 3.5mm jacks then it has configuration options for 2, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 setups, but the optical spdif is limited to just stereo.

is this a limitation of the motherboards onboard sound or the optical spdif? if i get a soundcard with optical spdif and run it to the receiver will that give me the 7.1?

if a soundcard will fix it, any recommendations for one for $150 or less, preferably less. like i said, i'm not an audiophile, i just want clear 7.1 sound.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1m3val;11987766
i'll try to keep this as brief as possible without leaving anything out.

i'm having trouble getting audio to my receiver with my sig rig. i can't/wont use my gtx 580 for sound because installing the audio drivers for it cause issues with any fullscreen apps and games crash randomly with it.

i currently have audio to my receiver via optical spdif cable from my motherboards sound. the quality is fine for me, i'm not an audiophile. my issue is that it's only 2 channel audio. i've updated my driver but that didn't change anything.

if i go to sound settings, and go to properties of the onboard sound for the 3.5mm jacks then it has configuration options for 2, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 setups, but the optical spdif is limited to just stereo.

is this a limitation of the motherboards onboard sound or the optical spdif? if i get a soundcard with optical spdif and run it to the receiver will that give me the 7.1?

if a soundcard will fix it, any recommendations for one for $150 or less, preferably less. like i said, i'm not an audiophile, i just want clear 7.1 sound.
Look in the trader section for a sound card. There are a few in there that will work very well for you and would be at or less than your budget. Just make sure their trader rating is good.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Having the same problem as you. Wish someone had pointed it out before I planned the microatx build. Now I've got to find a different matx board so I can fit a sound card in there -.-

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Have you considered using one port (DVI-D) for video and one (HDMI) for audio, and then duplicate the outputs? This way you can have sound to the receiver, and video to the monitor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite;11989245
Have you considered using one port (DVI-D) for video and one (HDMI) for audio, and then duplicate the outputs? This way you can have sound to the receiver, and video to the monitor.
that's what i did to begin with. i ran into multiple problems doing it that way though. 1) the gtx 580's sound drivers cause random crashes if i have them installed. 2) the nvidia control panel sees my receiver and my hdtv each as a hdtv and that was causing additional issues. neither evga or nvidia tech support was able to come up with a way around it seeing my reciever as a 2nd display, though to their credit they did both try.

the sound quality of the gtx 580 was fine, it just caused display issues that i'm unwilling to settle with. thus began my search for a soundcard to fit my needs.

edit:
HT Omega Striker ordered. after looking over the features and reviews it sounds like it'll fit my needs perfectly. thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts