Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got the parts for my new PC today, and I really need help connecting some things. Well, to start off, I got my hd led, my speaker, my reset button, my power LED, and my Power on button all connected. Now, I have lights on the front of my case
so, I have no Idea where to put those light cables, and the USB and speaker cables. Here is my mobo, hope this helps you to help me! THANKS!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, one the manual is not very descriptive, mostly just pictures, and no, it doesn't tell me anything about hooking up front lights (leds) to the mobo.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more thing! Is it safe to run my computer with stock heatsink, but no thermal grease?

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Looking into it now. I'll see what I can come up with for you.

Well I found the page, and it's color coded. But Biostar doesn't even tell you what header does what. You should call them and threaten them, jk don't do that. Sorry, but I think your last option is if someone else has that board.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would experimenting be my best option? Or is there a danger of ruining a part?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I will just experiment with it then. Oh by the way, I do not have any thermal grease on the cpu yet, could I just run the computer for a few seconds to see what the lights are like or would that hurt anything. (everything inside the case would be connected).

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Even when you power on the computer you have voltage running into your CPU. Where there is voltage, you'll get heat. Get some thermal paste first then turn it on.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, well i guess I will have to wait till tomorrow

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, and this doesn't have to do with this thread, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new one for, but how do I know if my FAQ has been accepted?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it. Congrats on the new comp man! See you went with Biostar after all.

The good news for you is that if you can narrow down the pins to the reset switch and the power switch, it doesn't matter which goes in where (ie it'll work even if the reset + lead goes in the - pin and vice versa)

Most USB header pins are arranged like this:

,,,,,VCC . . VCC
,,,-Data . . -Data
,,+Data . . +Data
Ground . . Ground
,,,,,blank . N.C.

So one of these headers can do two USB ports. So just match up the USB leads to the pins once you get it figured out. Might wanna use a non-valuable component to test the USB ports when you finish.

EDIT: Just keep checking back to see if the link is active. It says you have 1 FAQ submitted, but when I click it, it leads to the main FAQ page. Should be up by tomorrow me thinks.

·
Banned
218 Posts
wait? I just got my 3700+ sandy and I checked out the stock heatsink and mine already came with a thermal pad on it. I am not sure if you looked at the bottom of your heatsink when you put it on but it should look like a square greyish color. if you have that on it DO NOT apply thermal grease to that, remove it then apply thermal grease. hope this helps,

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, I already took it off, thinking that I had thermal grease, but I didn't so I got to get some from a good buddy tomorrow.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oh man if u posted this like a week or 2 ago i could of handed u a labeled diagram, i recently removed my socket A biostar mobo and i'm pretty sure the pins would of been close.
soz Gd luck wit the new system!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kagaos

yeah, I already took it off, thinking that I had thermal grease, but I didn't so I got to get some from a good buddy tomorrow.

Good thing you took it off, otherwise you might have been tempted to just slap it on real quick to test out the connections, then boom you got thermal pad crap melted into every little hole. Lol, trust me it's a royal pain to get out.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HAHA, ok. Well that is a good thing, yes! I am SOOO tempted to try it out...I am about ready to rip my hair out
! It looks so AWESOME! I am really wondering, where I should have it tho. I really need to figure that out. There are so many places that are good, but no one will see the side panel where they are. And the places where they would see the side panel, it would be uncomfortable and hard to access. Any suggestions? (prolly hard for you to suggest for something you haven't seen tho).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Position it so that in the winter the exhaust fans blow on you and keep you cozy
lol. I think I'm gonna have to steal a pic here because this may be the only chance I ever get to use it

Except it's a fairly usefull thread, but just this specific part about case placement needs pics.
Well I can go to bed happy that I got to use this badboy in a post

Mods please don't give me a warning, it's all in good fun

1 - 20 of 21 Posts