Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have unlocked it to x4 B55 and ran Prime95 for 9 hours @3,6GHZ and no errors. Made some pics of my BIOS settings and other settings. My question is what should I do now? I mean crank up My CPU-NB, HT Link or ram? And what does the Spread Spectrum does and should I disable it?
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,770 Posts
You want NB frequency at 2400 when the ram is at 1600 speed. Also you probably want to disable Spread Spectrum while OC'ing. Might have to bump the CPU-NB voltage a bit but try first without doing that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
I had mine at 3.8 or 3.96 most of the time because as soon as I would put it to 4.0 in any case windows would not load or would crash very quickly.

your next step is to change your BUS speed (that would be CPU FSB Freq = 200). raise that and lower multipliers and then raise multipliers and you'll be in business. start with like 245 to test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,770 Posts
If you start raising the HTRef clock it is going to change the speed of other things (HT Link speed, memory speed and NB frequency). I'm not sure why you would want to do that with a BE processor. Remember that HT Link speed should stay at about 2000 and your ram speed should stay around stock while OC'ing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by coonmanx View Post
If you start raising the HTRef clock it is going to change the speed of other things (HT Link speed, memory speed and NB frequency). I'm not sure why you would want to do that with a BE processor. Remember that HT Link speed should stay at about 2000 and your ram speed should stay around stock while OC'ing.
You get higher performance out of using the Reference Clock to OC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by johhu12 View Post
I have unlocked it to x4 B55 and ran Prime95 for 9 hours @3,6GHZ and no errors. Made some pics of my BIOS settings and other settings. My question is what should I do now? I mean crank up My CPU-NB, HT Link or ram? And what does the Spread Spectrum does and should I disable it?
had the same cpu and motherboard but I ran it X2 - I ran 245FSB with a 15.5 or 16 multiplier and ~2400NB freq and I think around 2100HT. you dont want your HT far from 2k or its sync flood issues on that setup. That had me up to about 3.9GHz, but if I would push it to 4, windows would seize during boot.

overclocking is not done solely with multiplier its also a factor of bus speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by johhu12 View Post
Anyone?
We have pretty similar setups & goals.

Im working on mine & will post info as i learn more.

Turn off cool n quiet as well as the spread spectrum. My problem is that any fsb over 210 gets bsod so i have to keep messing around with it. My temps are fine, it's just that I'll bsod or just reboot randomly. Im using Intel burn for quick test and prime 95 once that works.

I think my settings are;
fsb 210
cpu mult is stable at 18, testing 18.5
cpu freq is 3885
cpu vdd is like 1.3. .. As i change it, the bios changes cpu volts. So i ran vdd up until cpu was at 1.485v. Testing that now.

I started messing around with vdd because cpu-z showed cpu volts stuck at 1.408 with vdd vdd set to auto.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Huh, this seems to work better...

FSB200.000
Ratio19.500
cpu freq3900.000
CPU-NB ratio10x
FSB Dram ratio1:3.33
cpu vdd1.338
cpu nb vddauto
cpu voltage1.487
Cpu-nb voltgauto
nb voltageauto
DRAM voltgauto
HT Link voltgauto

Maybe my problems were from RAM getting sped up... so I'll keep up the multiplier until I find a problem again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
cross posted to the AMD 965BE 4.0GHz Overclock help thread.

OK I think I'm done. I got 200 x19.5 = 3900 to work by bumping up ram to 1.9V.

I knew that I was ok at 200x19, but I felt like I was missing something. I tried 200x19.5, but prine95 eventually would crap out (like mentioned above). I looked at what other people have done and thought I'd bump up dram volts. It dawned on me to use memtest to really decide whether and/or where RAM was failing me. The 4G kingston value 1333 memory was ok at 210x19.5 in memtest running 700MHz @ 1.9v. OK, so the memory isn't what's causing me problems at 200x19.5 or 210x19 or 210x19.5. Then I tried 220x19.5 and memtest barfed right away. I next bumped up dram to 1.96v and the POST test failed...

Back to 210x19.5 to try that with windows again and didn't get far and it bsod. So then I went back to my settings for 210x19.5 ... bumped up cpu volts... vdd 1.525, vcpu 1.537. Oh crap, win 7 hated this! As it played the sound to login, it froze and the sound just stuttered for 20 seconds while it did the bsod and restart. Then scale back to 204x19.5 vdd 1.5 cpu 1.512 ... it booted but IntelBurn immediately bsod and restart.

I believe that if I had faster RAM I could try some other things and I should have bought 2x 2G ram intended for overclocking. The 4G definitely seems less robust than the same 2G. And the low-end CAD software I'm using doesn't even use 4G of ram.
And I can't help but feel that win 7 64bit is also holding me back a little ... it feels kinda picky.

So my final place is:
Bios:
200 x 19.5 @ 3900
vdd 1.485, vcpu 1.500
vDram 1.900

The highest temp during the Intel Burn was 58.5 deg C. It ran prine95 quite a while OK and is at work running it overnight. I'm pretty happy with this. Intel Burn ran 5 standard passes in 265 seconds, but was over 300 with more conservative settings. I attached the spreadsheet pic, too.

Thanks for all the info I've seen here! ... we are half tempted to take one of the P4s in the shop and seeing how high we can clock it.
Since all we're doing is running one core and can't really use much RAM. May as well run win XP and run the heatsink in the freezer.......
LL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by unexpectedly View Post
cross posted to the AMD 965BE 4.0GHz Overclock help thread.

OK I think I'm done. I got 200 x19.5 = 3900 to work by bumping up ram to 1.9V.

I knew that I was ok at 200x19, but I felt like I was missing something. I tried 200x19.5, but prine95 eventually would crap out (like mentioned above). I looked at what other people have done and thought I'd bump up dram volts. It dawned on me to use memtest to really decide whether and/or where RAM was failing me. The 4G kingston value 1333 memory was ok at 210x19.5 in memtest running 700MHz @ 1.9v. OK, so the memory isn't what's causing me problems at 200x19.5 or 210x19 or 210x19.5. Then I tried 220x19.5 and memtest barfed right away. I next bumped up dram to 1.96v and the POST test failed...

Back to 210x19.5 to try that with windows again and didn't get far and it bsod. So then I went back to my settings for 210x19.5 ... bumped up cpu volts... vdd 1.525, vcpu 1.537. Oh crap, win 7 hated this! As it played the sound to login, it froze and the sound just stuttered for 20 seconds while it did the bsod and restart. Then scale back to 204x19.5 vdd 1.5 cpu 1.512 ... it booted but IntelBurn immediately bsod and restart.

I believe that if I had faster RAM I could try some other things and I should have bought 2x 2G ram intended for overclocking. The 4G definitely seems less robust than the same 2G. And the low-end CAD software I'm using doesn't even use 4G of ram.
And I can't help but feel that win 7 64bit is also holding me back a little ... it feels kinda picky.

So my final place is:
Bios:
200 x 19.5 @ 3900
vdd 1.485, vcpu 1.500
vDram 1.900

The highest temp during the Intel Burn was 58.5 deg C. It ran prine95 quite a while OK and is at work running it overnight. I'm pretty happy with this. Intel Burn ran 5 standard passes in 265 seconds, but was over 300 with more conservative settings. I attached the spreadsheet pic, too.

Thanks for all the info I've seen here! ... we are half tempted to take one of the P4s in the shop and seeing how high we can clock it.
Since all we're doing is running one core and can't really use much RAM. May as well run win XP and run the heatsink in the freezer.......
Try increasing your NB Multi.200x19.5 If your blue screening it cound be your nee more NB to handle the high cpu Freq but not sure how much NB is needed with a 2 core.

-Didn't realize you were posting in but threads lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Yeah, I'll just stick to this thread from here out. I had asked on the other one, too, so that's why I posted back there.

Dang it! Now I'm going to have to do more testing.


It blows my mind when I see people with SCREAMING fsb speeds and low multipliers. How the helll???????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by unexpectedly View Post
Yeah, I'll just stick to this thread from here out. I had asked on the other one, too, so that's why I posted back there.

Dang it! Now I'm going to have to do more testing.


It blows my mind when I see people with SCREAMING fsb speeds and low multipliers. How the helll???????
If you motherboard can't handle increasing the FSB must just increase the NB multi after you find the max stable FSB you can use. I have the thread Subscribed so I will know if you update on the overclock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
@Messenjah & @BallaTheFeared : Thanks for the info. I'm on that next.

Dumb question: A lot of times when I turn the computer on, it starts, runs for 1 or 2 seconds and then shuts off. Then I press the power button again. This started on my most recent round of testing (before I set out on the NB : FSB journey)... what could be causing that?

BTW, to speed things up, I installed ubuntu alongside Win7 and put memtest at the top of grub...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by unexpectedly View Post
@Messenjah & @BallaTheFeared : Thanks for the info. I'm on that next.

Dumb question: A lot of times when I turn the computer on, it starts, runs for 1 or 2 seconds and then shuts off. Then I press the power button again. This started on my most recent round of testing (before I set out on the NB : FSB journey)... what could be causing that?

BTW, to speed things up, I installed ubuntu alongside Win7 and put memtest at the top of grub...
I am not sure what would cause that really. Did it happen just after the Multi os install?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,535 Posts
Try not to just use reference clock when you overclock. Try dropping the CPU/NB frequency multiplier to like x8 or x9 and then adjust accordingly. You can also drop the speeds on your memory. Then when you adjust the reference clock, everything that you lowered will become more and would be close the stock speeds. This allows you to just OC the CPU. Now you can pump up the NB and other things but its not always going to work as planned. I'm pretty sure you don't want your NB running at 3000MHz for several reasons.

Maybe I am wrong...
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top