Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ASUS p5kpl-am se mobo and im putting a x5460 processer into it. Max FSB on this mobo is 1600 mHz. The current AMI BIOS is 0501. ASUS tells me to upgrade to 0702 BIOS. I assume this Xeon can treated as a regular C2quad core. What are going to be the pitfalls of this combo? With the FSB limit it look as though a 20% overclock is the wall. I believe it will be 9.5 X 400= 3.8 gHz with 1600 mHz FSB. Other then the BIOS update the only problem is my heatsink says its rated to cool 3.8 gig. But, doesn't say with which processer. I've also seen conflicting info on what chipset may be on the mobo. Any and all help is needed. This is uncharted water for me.
Thank you

·
Mad Man with a box
435 Posts
Chipset is G31 and it MAY do a 1600MHz FSB, but I would guess that's with a Dual Core only.
Quad Core CPU will put VRM section under heavy stress, especially if U want to OC CPU.

I won't be surprised when U will be forced to decrease Vcore voltage, in order to make X5460 stable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mono version 2.0 and appears to have p35 or X38 chip set. How can I find out for sure? Take the heat sink off the Northridge chip?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As it is now it has an extreme quad running at 3.3 GHz. I'm sure it doesn't have a G31.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's four flavors of this mobo there's the plain P5KPL-AM, EPU,SE and VM.that maybe causing the confusion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If this mobo won't OC a Quad. What mATX mobo will? It's not a serious deal. I'm looking at all this as a learning experience. 8 year old parts are cheap. LOL

·
Mad Man with a box
435 Posts
There are no "2.0" versions in this case.

"P5KPL-AM SE" must have G31 chipset, and it's what ASUS website tells me : LINK
OK, I know where the problem is :
In general describtion it's G31, but in detailed it's P35.

Here's list of ALL P5KPL type MB's :
IPC : LINK
CM : LINK
SE : LINK
AM/PS : LINK
/1600 : LINK
AM : LINK
/EPU : LINK
AM EPU : LINK

If it's running 3,3GHz Extreme Quad good for it - not good for it's longevity tho.
How are CPU cores temps looking like (and please use right Tj. max.) ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts