Overclock.net banner

Need help with overclocking

781 Views 11 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  TwoCables
I'm new to these forums and new to overlcoking in general, so please move this thread if it is not in the correct area.

Now on to my question: Can i overclock this stock pc which i bought and upgraded with a 9800gtx and 600 watt power supply? (See the attached cpu-z image). The reason i want to upgrade is that for the games i play, mainly company of heroes, core-2-duo processors seem to be out performing me, despite my higher ram and my quad core, because the clock on their cpu is about 1ghz higher than my quad. I'm assuming this is whats causing it, so what i'm asking is what is the safe amount i can overclock a new pc without adding any additional fans etc (If i do it myself i break my warranty and if i get pc world to fit it = £30 ... fail).
Any help/ knowledge is appreciated thanks.
See less See more
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
posting your system info in your sig would help people a lot answering your questions.
what mobo do you have?
Added in some information to mu sig, and what is a mobo?
mobo = motheboard.... duh lol
Cpu-Z says its a Packard Bell BV, model : MCP73PVT-PM
If that helps. It lists the GFX card that was installed when I bought the system and not my new one, does this matter? My 9800 is assigned under my display adapters in my device manager.
i really would like a hand... even just if someone tells me how much i can OC it without new fans..
If this isn't the right section please move it so i do get a hand.
Whoa, I'm surprised that nobody replied. But, I have a feeling that it's because this is regarding overclocking a pre-built. I'm not sure about that Packard Bell, but I know that for like 99% of pre-builts, overclocking is just not an option and is almost never a good idea either. This is why we like to build our own systems so that we can do whatever we want to them.
Ok i was reading and yeah i wish i had done that but i didn't have the cash to buy all the parts seperatly.
Out of curiosity though my cpu-z says my comp is running at a multiplyer x6 and i thought the highest the Q8200 would go is 7, would changing this make a big difference to power an temp?
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean1604
View Post

Ok i was reading and yeah i wish i had done that but i didn't have the cash to buy all the parts seperatly.
Out of curiosity though my cpu-z says my comp is running at a multiplyer x6 and i thought the highest the Q8200 would go is 7, would changing this make a big difference to power an temp?

That's supposed to do that. It's a feature to save electricity when the system is idling.

I think the best thing to do is try and accept the system the way it is because that's always been the point of a pre-built: we basically buy them, turn them on, and leave them the way they are.
You can probably overclock it very modestly with software, but it won't be nearly as good as overclocking with the BIOS of a motherboard that you buy separately. The chances are good that the BIOS in your system doesn't have any overclocking abilities. But not only that, software overclocking can cause problems that "proper" overclocking otherwise wouldn't. Not only that, but overclocking also means increasing the heat. And stock CPU coolers aren't designed for overclocking, so then you'd have to get after-market cooling to be sure.

I guess what I'm saying is, for the modest overclock you may be able to get out of this system, you may not even notice a difference.
See less See more
ok man thanks for the info then

I'll be back in a year or two when i build y first custom build
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean1604 View Post
ok man thanks for the info then

I'll be back in a year or two when i build y first custom build

Aw that long? I don't know if I can wait that long.
See less See more
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.