Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this is in the Hi-Fi area but it's a ghost town over there. I really need some of you more experienced guys to help me out if you can.

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping one of you knows his stuff about a sound systems for a retail store.

I am opening a new store and need a system. I plan on using music and message overhead. The total space is about 3200sqft with about 2500 of that being actual retail area. I will be using a service like Trusonic or Playnetwork for the music.

The big question is what is a good system to get for a drop ceiling? I'm looking for the best speakers as well as an amp to run them. I figure I need at least 6 speakers in total in the 8" size. The room is 30' x 64'.

I appreciate any and all help.

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
just wondering would it be possible to get some bookshelf speakers to mount on the wall just below the ceiling on the wall?

if not you could possibly be able to fit this in the tiles: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-415

EDIT

im thinking it may be possible to use this amp, and use it in a bridge mode so you can wire 8 of the speakers up so that the amp sees 8 ohms.

• Rep+
Reactions: Michael Cox

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfig
View Post

just wondering would it be possible to get some bookshelf speakers to mount on the wall just below the ceiling on the wall?

if not you could possibly be able to fit this in the tiles: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-415

EDIT

im thinking it may be possible to use this amp, and use it in a bridge mode so you can wire 8 of the speakers up so that the amp sees 8 ohms.

Hey Bob thanks for the help.

I actually was looking at these speakers. The reviews seem really strong on them.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
Those would work. I just dont like that they dont list what brand they are. I know you cant go wrong with a dayton brand. i guess i thought that you wanted the whole speaker unit to be smaller then 8", not an 8" woofer. Ether way im just thinking that it would be better for an enclosed speaker to help with the lower end instead of an open back that most of them may be.

Here is a 6 1/2" enclosed dayton http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-417

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfig;11983001
Those would work. I just dont like that they dont list what brand they are. I know you cant go wrong with a dayton brand. i guess i thought that you wanted the whole speaker unit to be smaller then 8", not an 8" woofer. Ether way im just thinking that it would be better for an enclosed speaker to help with the lower end instead of an open back that most of them may be.

Here is a 6 1/2" enclosed dayton http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-417
Monoprice is its own brand.

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorb;11984512
Monoprice is its own brand.
ooo ok. didn't know they had there own brand. all i could say is to buy 1 or 2 and try them out.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I think six speakers in that area is going to be difficult if you ceiling-mount them. The floor (assuming carpet) is going to absorb most of the sound, so you'd have to have the speakers pretty loud to get coverage throughout the store. I like the idea of floorstanding speakers mounted up higher...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by killnine;11984969
I think six speakers in that area is going to be difficult if you ceiling-mount them. The floor (assuming carpet) is going to absorb most of the sound, so you'd have to have the speakers pretty loud to get coverage throughout the store. I like the idea of floorstanding speakers mounted up higher...
Yeah after looking at it more closely I think we will end up having to do 10-12 speakers in the 8" size and put them 10-12' apart.

The floor speakers mounted high just don't have a professional look to them IMO so that just wont work.

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
if you get 16 speakers yo can wire them up as a total 8ohm load on a single source. also dont forget you may want a could in the back room.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfig;11985956
if you get 16 speakers yo can wire them up as a total 8ohm load on a single source. also dont forget you may want a could in the back room.
Bob I think you got side tracked or you started partying without us. lol

Couldn't I use a speaker selector with 10 or 12 speakers?

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
i dont know. im just thinking an easy way to get all the power to all the speakers so they are all playing the same thing.

BTW that thing last weekend was "BALLIN"

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,422 Posts
Greetz
I have fairly extensive experience onstage with concert PA systems and have worked in a Pro Sound department for a few years as well as designed and installed a few systems in nightclubs and restaurants. I have also torn down lots of junk.

It is my opinion that numerous smaller speakers especially in a dropped ceiling present many more problems than they address. If you really need to know why I will write back if you want to hear about wiring hassles and phase relationships or psychoacoustics.

The last restaurant with fairly serious and varied requirements I designed was very simple and effective. I used this ElectroVoice EVID 12.1 dual voice coil sub-woofer
EVID_121.jpg

and 4 of these EV EVID 6.2 satellites
EVID_62-trans.png

I bi-amped them using the crossover built in to the Denon AVR 2310CI and used a Crest power amp for the sub-woof. It is especially important to use good heavy speaker wire. Here's a useful chart. Notice that 20ga wire offers up a DC resistance of 10 ohms per 1000 feet or 1 ohm per 100 feet. This is in no way trivial! Even a 50ft run at 0.5 ohms to an 8 ohm speaker driven by a 200 watt amp at a 16:1 ratio will lose almost 13 watts to heat the wire. I use 12ga miniimum and prefer 10ga.

This system handles even extremely loud staff parties without distortion or listening fatigue and never sounds disembodied because it has a sense of source without sacrificing coverage in the least and has done so for 5 years now. I have commonly replaced as junk so-called commercial systems that have been only a year or two old.

Take your time and choose wisely with the longview in mind is my considered opinion.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfig;11986740
i dont know. im just thinking an easy way to get all the power to all the speakers so they are all playing the same thing.

BTW that thing last weekend was "BALLIN"
LOL Bob wth are you talking about? What thing last weekend?

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cox;11987759
LOL Bob wth are you talking about? What thing last weekend?
Im talking about post #10. You musta been passed out by the tim i got there.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfig;11989769
Im talking about post #10. You musta been passed out by the tim i got there.
Yeah, I should go to therapy and do 10 steps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts