Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Overclockers,

I'm a new to watercooling and want to build a loop inside my case.
I hope you can help me with a few questions ! :
1) I had 2 loops in my mind and drawn them in paint :

Which loop will you reccomend me ? Me myself would love to have the 1st one because it will be all inside my case instead of a rad box outside the case but was thinking that it won't keep me GPU cool.
(You can read my specs in my profile btw.)

2) what airflow would you say is good for me and my case ?
I want to buy the side window for the haff 922 from the dutch part shop
But that would mean I have 1 200mm side fan less but looks much cooler
What do you say no side window you will have more profit of a 200mm fan
or take the side window you have enough cooling?

3) What parts do you reccomend me to buy ?
I searched some and had some in mind.
I wanted for pump a Laing D5-MCP655 12V which would fit great in a
XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25 bay Reservoir for Laing D5/MCP655/PMP-450
(http://xc527.eccart.jp/t565/images/2855_l.jpg)
For rads and blocks/fittings I had nothing special in mind and would
love to hear what you reccomend.

4) Will this pump Laing D5-MCP655 12V forfill my wish of a CPU+GPU Loop?

Thats pretty much all the questions I can think about now.

Thanks for Helping Perry !

(Note , I send my corsair h70 back for a refund as it was not working because there was air trapped in the closed loop.)
(Note2 , The GPU in my specc is not the GPU I want to cool I'm selling this gtx295 soon because I'm waiting for the new AMD series 6xxx which I will take in my loop at that time but I want to be prepared so by that time everything is ready except the GPU block and if the 6xxx series is a flop I'll go for a pair of GTX460 in sli)
(Note3, Yea quite some notes I want to appologize for my bad englisch , as im very bad in spelling Englisch.)

·
Registered
577 Posts
1. why not just have a single 360 radiator and eliminate some of the extra tubing and radiator? If you insist on having 2 radiators then diagram 2 would be better choice shorter the tube less work for the pump.

2. replace the side panel 230mm fan with 4 120mm fan should see much better airflow inside the case or keep everything in stock fans cause watercooling doesn't dump the hot air inside the case, it will be transfer outside the case.

3. I would recommend the MCP655 pump cause I own one and it works flawlessly so far.
Radiator = XSPC RX360 / HW lab SR1 360
Cpu block = XSPC Rasa

4. yes it will be sufficient for your loop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by prtuc2 View Post
1. why not just have a single 360 radiator and eliminate some of the extra tubing and radiator? If you insist on having 2 radiators then diagram 2 would be better choice shorter the tube less work for the pump.

2. replace the side panel 230mm fan with 4 120mm fan should see much better airflow inside the case or keep everything in stock fans cause watercooling doesn't dump the hot air inside the case, it will be transfer outside the case.

3. I would recommend the MCP655 pump cause I own one and it works flawlessly so far.
Radiator = XSPC RX360 / HW lab SR1 360
Cpu block = XSPC Rasa

4. yes it will be sufficient for your loop.
I think you made a mistake on the case I have I have a haff 922 (Not a haff 932) which has place for 2 120mm top fans and 2 120 side fans or 200mm side fan.
Could you please think again about your answers ? I would appreciate that.

Perry

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
You will have enough airflow just with the front and top fans. I would recommend a single 360 radiator as it will have enough cooling power to cool both your CPU and GPU(s).

Another vote for the 655 pump. That XSPC bay reservoir for the 655 is a great choice for a bay res/pump combo.

As far as loop order goes, your only concerns should be ensuring that the reservoir feeds the pump and that you use the least amount of tubing.

·
Registered
577 Posts
1. My idea is if you wish to keep everything inside the case you might just get a 240rad at the top for now and leave the gpu block until the card is being release give you some indication about the power consumption of the card. You can remove the rear case fan and place a 120 radiator there like the Corsair H50 with push-pull fan configuration on the gpu later. If the heat of the card is too much for a single rad, later you can always purchase another 240 rad and place it at the back of your case like diagram 2.

2. just stick with the stock cooling should be sufficient for the case.

3. Instead of 360 radiator just get the 240 radiator version and if you don't care about noise get the HW Labs GTX 240 radiator will be the best performance radiator with high speed fan.
Same cpu block suggestion as above

4. same answer as above

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
You will have enough airflow just with the front and top fans. I would recommend a single 360 radiator as it will have enough cooling power to cool both your CPU and GPU(s).

Another vote for the 655 pump. That XSPC bay reservoir for the 655 is a great choice for a bay res/pump combo.

As far as loop order goes, your only concerns should be ensuring that the reservoir feeds the pump and that you use the least amount of tubing.
I cant build a 360 rad in my case , but I can seperate them then it should look something like option 2 or this :

What do you think ?

Perry

Edit :

Quote:
1. My idea is if you wish to keep everything inside the case you might just get a 240rad at the top for now and leave the gpu block until the card is being release give you some indication about the power consumption of the card. You can remove the rear case fan and place a 120 radiator there like the Corsair H50 with push-pull fan configuration on the gpu later. If the heat of the card is too much for a single rad, later you can always purchase another 240 rad and place it at the back of your case like diagram 2.
That could be an good idea that means for now I need a pump+res. a 240 radiator fans (I would love red led fans and my eye falled on the zalman zm-f3rl) CPU block and tubes and fittings etc etc

2. just stick with the stock cooling should be sufficient for the case.
Yep I do that , but I mean how is the best way to seat fans on the radiator?

3. Instead of 360 radiator just get the 240 radiator version and if you don't care about noise get the HW Labs GTX 240 radiator will be the best performance radiator with high speed fan.
Same cpu block suggestion as above

I would love some low noise fans and I read in a review the zalman zm-f3rl is'nt that loud and as it has some good cfm and has nice red leds I like those.

4. same answer as above
Thanks for responding.
Perry

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
That looks like a sweet loop. I'd also recommend that you only buy the 240mm rad for now, and wait until the power consumption specs for the 6xxx series are released to purchase the second radiator.

EDIT: If you can't fit a 360 radiator in your case, can you fit a 280? A 280mm rad has as much cooling power as a 360 rad and would probably be able to fit in your case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

That looks like a sweet loop. I'd also recommend that you only buy the 240mm rad for now, and wait until the power consumption specs for the 6xxx series are released to purchase the second radiator.

EDIT: If you can't fit a 360 radiator in your case, can you fit a 280? A 280mm rad has as much cooling power as a 360 rad and would probably be able to fit in your case.
Hmm I dont think so I think the screw holes wont match then and I dont like to go drilling in my case you dont wanna know what happened to my last case

Perry

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I'm settin up the stuff that I want and this is what I have :
Pump : Laing D5/MCP655
Reservoir : XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25 bay Reservoir for Laing D5/MCP655/PMP-450
Radiator : Swiftech MCR220-QP-K 240 Radiator (As it isnt so thick)
CPU Block : Watercool HeatKiller Rev. 3.0 S1366 LT
Tube : Feser Tube UV - HighFlow - 3/8 ID - 1/2 OD - RED
Fittings : 6x 10MM (3/8 ID - 1/2 OD) EK Perfect Seal Compression Fitting (PCS Fitting) - G1/4 Black
Fans :2x Zalman 120MM Fan ZM-F3RL RED 1800RPM
Water :PrimoChill Pure Performance Coolant (32 oz.) - Blood Red

What do you guys think about this setup ?
Few questions I have.
1) Can someone share me there oppinions about this rad ? Is it a good one ?
2) Is 3/8 Tube good or can I better go for 1/2 Tubing?
3) Anybody used this fans before and how do they sound and performe?
4) What about water is it good to use a pre-made water or do you reccomend me to do something else ?
5) Any other comments on this setup ?

Many thanks for help !
Perry

·
Registered
577 Posts
1. good performance radiator but rather low quality easily bend fin if you hold it with extra force.
2. that tubing size is fine, 1/2"ID tubing give you slightly better temperature and higher flow rate.
3. most people will suggest the Scythe GT A-15 fans and those are pretty quite fan not silent, will be you the performance you want. Not sure about that fan that you are picking.
4. don't buy coolant get distill water with silver coil will last you good while, coolant over time will clog up the loop.
5. cpu block get this

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by prtuc2 View Post
1. good performance radiator but rather low quality easily bend fin if you hold it with extra force.
2. that tubing size is fine, 1/2"ID tubing give you slightly better temperature and higher flow rate.
3. most people will suggest the Scythe GT A-15 fans and those are pretty quite fan not silent, will be you the performance you want. Not sure about that fan that you are picking.
4. don't buy coolant get distill water with silver coil will last you good while, coolant over time will clog up the loop.
5. cpu block get this
Ok I thought about the changes so now i got this :
Pump : Laing D5/MCP655
Reservoir : XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25 bay Reservoir for Laing D5/MCP655/PMP-450
Radiator : Swiftech MCR220-QP-K 240 Radiator (As it isnt so thick)
CPU Block : XSPC Rasa CPU Waterblock (As you convinced me its so good)
Tube : Feser Tube UV - HighFlow - 3/8 ID - 1/2 OD - RED
Fittings : 6x 10MM (3/8 ID - 1/2 OD) EK Perfect Seal Compression Fitting (PCS Fitting) - G1/4 Black
Fans :2x Scythe 120MM Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM (Silence)
Water :Feser Aqua - Ultra Pure Water

Perry

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

While 3/8" ID is fine, having 3/8" ID 1/2" OD tubing is not a good idea as it will be hard to bend in your case without causing kinks.

Basically:

3/8" ID 1/2" OD - BAD
3/8" ID 5/8" OD - GOOD
Ok didnt know that then ill take the DangerDen DD-TFC Tubing 3/8 ID - 5/8 OD - UV Red tubing .
Will it fit on the fittings etc too ??

Perry

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

No. You'll need to get compression fittings rated for 3/8" ID 5/8" OD. Bitspower make some great compression fittings that I would highly recommend.
Hmm I found 10MM (3/8 ID - 5/8 OD) Bitspower but they are damn expensive as I would need 6 of them I spend around 50 euros on fittings.
How's 1/2 is it todo or not? and are they cheaper ?

Perry

1 - 20 of 22 Posts