Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As the title says, I am about to start a build and I am watercooling. My question is should I use Ek or Corsair? I am scared of what I have seen about the pressure and leaking of Corsair GPU waterblock. My spec are follow:

10900k (or 3900x or 3950x, haven't desided for exactly which one yet)
asus rog Maximus XII extreme or Formula (still not sure)
Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Sabrent Rocket 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME x2
Seagate BarraCuda 120 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive x2

And I am trying to decide do i wc just cpu or both, if I do both do I do more then a 360 rad? I am using the ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601 with a Bykski Distro Plate - Asus Rog Strix Helios

thank you for your time help and info.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My personal opinion based on some of the reviews I have read, if you are planning on OC'ing the CPU (either Intel or AMD) a 360 would be required as a minimum.
If you are going to add an "RTX 2080 Ti" than I would at least add another 240. Better off adding at least another 280 or 360 for quieter performance. Nobody likes their fans screaming at them in the middle of a game.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about distro plate its for older maximus's, but I want a distro plate or reservoir plate at least. Any suggestions. Also looking at msi mb vCard etc any input?

·
Been around...
537 Posts
10900k (or 3900x or 3950x, haven't desided for exactly which one yet)
Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC

And I am trying to decide do i wc just cpu or both, if I do both do I do more then a 360 rad? I am using the ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601 with a Bykski Distro Plate - Asus Rog Strix Helios
My opinions...

First, don't waste money on an EK CPU block. If you want to spend a similar amount of money, and have a much better block, go with an Optimus Foundation. If you want to spend less, but still get a better block than the EK, go with a heatkiller IV. My only opinion on the corsair stuff is that I don't trust them to do custom loop gear. They're great for repacking stuff made by other people, but they always seem to cut corners.

For the rads:

For the processor, I'd suggest at least a higher performing 360mm slim (hwlabs GTS 360) with fans pushing. For better performance, you could go with a thicker radiator and/or have fans in a push/pull arrangement. In fact, if you go with the 10900k, you'd probably want a medium thickness 360 at minimum.

Adding in the 2080Ti, I'd suggest a adding another 360mm.

More radiator surface area is better, and with both the CPU and GPU at load, they'll be chewing through 500-600 watts of power before you even start overclocking.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks, now on conf do I want 2 loops or can I do 1 loop and if so whats the conf? I wc before but that was 6 years ago or longer and it was my first loop system and I loss the system in a house fire 3 years ago.

·
Been around...
537 Posts
Ok thanks, now on conf do I want 2 loops or can I do 1 loop and if so whats the conf? I wc before but that was 6 years ago or longer and it was my first loop system and I loss the system in a house fire 3 years ago.
A single loop will likely work best. To be honest, I've never seen the advantage of multiple loops, so perhaps someone else could better answer that question.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What thicken? 60mm or 38mm? What rgb fans to with it?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also can you recommend some good addressable rgb fans?

·
Been around...
537 Posts
I'd suggest reading the following link. It will give you a great idea of the kinds of radiators, thicknesses, etc: https://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/radiator-round-2015/ (It's a very in-depth article, but the information is absolutely worth reading.)

I can't fairly suggest any particular radiator that I haven't used, however that link (and many pages of data within) should give you enough information to make more informed decisions. In your shoes, I'd assume needing to cool 600 watts. Better to have too much radiator than not enough.

As for fans, won't make any suggestions for RGB. My radiator fans are for cooling the radiator, not for looking pretty and I've probably tried dozens of brands over the years. Today, my radiators are using corsair ML's or EK Varder's, but that's not an endorsement, just what I happened to have on hand when I put things together.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,074 Posts
Hi,

As the title says, I am about to start a build and I am watercooling. My question is should I use Ek or Corsair?
No. Period. There are significantly better quality components at lower prices in every aspect (blocks, rads, pumps, reservoirs, fittings, tubing.....EVERY aspect). EK is overpriced mediocrity in their best components, and Corsair rebrands HWL's bottom tier rads and Bitspower fittings and adds 50% to the price to pay for the little sailboat sticker...and their blocks are, shall we say, not very good quality.
For anyone to help, you need to let us know what case this is going in.

Do both, or at least plan your loop to be able to add the GPU in the future.
And if you could let us know what case you are using, it would be a huge help in recommendations.

Do one loop. Dual loops in your scenario would provide no advantages, but may well present some disadvantages since all of your cooling potential would not be available to both components.
Did I mention that knowing what case you are using would be a huge help?

HWL doesn't make either of these size rads (I assume you are talking about rads.....), so I would say neither. Also, rad application doesn't go by thickness, it goes by desired traits. Do you want cool and quiet? Do you want max performance at the cost of your computer sounding like a vacuum cleaner? Something more balanced?
And....without knowing what case you are using, it is impossible to recommend rads.

Also can you recommend some good addressable rgb fans?
The best addressable argeebee fans are actual good fans with Phanteks Halos or another lighting source added. They are fans, not lights. You don't say "I'm hot, I'd better turn on some lights", you say "I'm hot, I'd better turn on a fan/AC". This same principle should be applied in your build.
Did I mention that recommending fans without knowing what fits in your case is impossible.....and knowing what will fit in the case without knowing what case it is would be impossible?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL ROG is the case.

·
Invalid Media
2,107 Posts

...looks like you're planning nice project build ! As to your question on rads, I would go for at least two 'thick' 360s. LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL can even support three. Per spoiler pic below, I got two w-cooled 2080 Tis in my build, and with stock bios, EACH can pull up to 380W (for a total of 760W) - that's a lot of heat energy to disperse, even with just a single of those GPUs. A 10900K or 3950X (and even 3900X) can also put out a lot of heat, especially if you plan to overclock both CPU and GPU.

...as to dual loops, I switched all my custom w-cool builds to separate loops for CPU and GPU(s) a long time ago. With powerful pumps and good flow rates, the difference in temps is only marginally better with dual loops, but apart from partial fail-over insurance, a dual loop makes reconfigs (ie change in CPU, GPU) much easier, ditto for maintenance. It also can make tubing, routing etc a bit easier and avoid tighter turns...though you have more tubing and routing to do, in addition to having to buy extra pumps etc. So dual loops aren't inherently 'better', but they do have some advantages.

·
WaterCooler
3,460 Posts
My opinions...

First, don't waste money on an EK CPU block. If you want to spend a similar amount of money, and have a much better block, go with an Optimus Foundation. If you want to spend less, but still get a better block than the EK, go with a heatkiller IV. My only opinion on the corsair stuff is that I don't trust them to do custom loop gear. They're great for repacking stuff made by other people, but they always seem to cut corners.
Agree. I don't trust Corsair for water-cooling based on what I've seen on their GPU block. Other things like the rads are just repackaged HWLabs, but that GPU block, that terminal just looked shoddy before these videos even popped up of them leaking.

As for EK, currently have an EK Supremacy EVO from 2015 and the plating is just gone. The plating jobs just really suck with these blocks. To your point, heard great things about Optimus, and have always seen Heatkiller well regarded. I will be moving away from EK my next build. Current build was my first time with EK products and will be my last.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,074 Posts
Agree. I don't trust Corsair for water-cooling based on what I've seen on their GPU block. Other things like the rads are just repackaged HWLabs, but that GPU block, that terminal just looked shoddy before these videos even popped up of them leaking.

As for EK, currently have an EK Supremacy EVO from 2015 and the plating is just gone. The plating jobs just really suck with these blocks. To your point, heard great things about Optimus, and have always seen Heatkiller well regarded. I will be moving away from EK my next build. Current build was my first time with EK products and will be my last.
I still have my Supremacy EVO in, as well. It's hard for me to justify replacing it because it looks like it just came out of the box....but I still had an Optimus Foundation in my cart when I was ordering fluid last week (didn't wind up ordering it). AND, the I have the EVO in because it's a better block than the Velocity that I have. But...would I actively buy an EK block today if I were shopping? No way, it would be an Optimus Foundation or Heatkiller IV.

BTW - you forgot to mention that those rads are HWL's bottom of the line, the same ones they made for Barrow....and Corsair upcharges them 50% to put a little sailboat sticker on them. If that's the rad you want, buy the HWL version and save yourself the money.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm looking at the LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL ROG case with if I go intel a asus maximus xii formula, if I go amd then a asus crosshair viii formula. Am I looking good so far?

What rads would you suggest? I was looking at ekwb 60mm rads but I'm not hearing good things about ek on here. I know I'm not going corsair.

·
WaterCooler
3,460 Posts
I still have my Supremacy EVO in, as well. It's hard for me to justify replacing it because it looks like it just came out of the box....but I still had an Optimus Foundation in my cart when I was ordering fluid last week (didn't wind up ordering it). AND, the I have the EVO in because it's a better block than the Velocity that I have. But...would I actively buy an EK block today if I were shopping? No way, it would be an Optimus Foundation or Heatkiller IV.
Yeah, I have been otherwise happy with the performance of the block (and the restored performance once I cleared out some gunk (I think was plasticizer), just not happy the plating is all gone. and the copper underneath now looks pretty tarnished.

BTW - you forgot to mention that those rads are HWL's bottom of the line, the same ones they made for Barrow....and Corsair upcharges them 50% to put a little sailboat sticker on them. If that's the rad you want, buy the HWL version and save yourself the money.
Yeah this is true.

·
Been around...
537 Posts
I'm looking at the LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL ROG case with if I go intel a asus maximus xii formula, if I go amd then a asus crosshair viii formula. Am I looking good so far?
Ask yourself why you want to go with the Formula board instead of the Hero. VRM water cooling is a gimmick on these boards and completely unneeded. I spent a long time trying to decide between the two myself and realized that the 'Hero' offered everything I wanted from the Formula and cost considerably less. Save the money for a better water block, GPU block, etc.

Lian Li 011 XL will limit your radiator choices. I think 2 360's and a single 280 will be your limit (and one of the 360's will have to be on the slim side.) (I don't know this first hand - it's based only on reviews I've read.)

What rads would you suggest? I was looking at ekwb 60mm rads but I'm not hearing good things about ek on here. I know I'm not going corsair.
I'm a fan of hwlabs radiators personally. For the 360's, go back to the link I posted earlier. 3 years ago, I found it a priceless resource for determining the best slim 360 rad that would work well without noisy fans. There are a ton of charts in that article that very clearly show the tradeoffs of thickness vs performance (and fan speed, which relates directly to noise.) Note that they rated an EK radiator very highly...

I think the issues that people have with EK rads are that they often have gunk in them (that you can and should clean out before using) and some of them have extra points of failure at the connection points. As EK has become more and more "bling" oriented, they seem to have lost touch with performance and what really matters to water cooling enthusiasts. For example, when it was new, the EK Supremacy EVO was a good block (as long as you got one with decent chrome plating.) I recently purchased a Velocity block and I regret it. It's pretty, but I could have had a much better performing block for less money. To me, performance means more than LEDs.

Even if you choose EK blocks and/or rads, do yourself a huge favor and don't touch their coolants. Don't even put a sealed bottle of their coolant within arms length of any other cooling part. I'm starting to think any time a person even THINKS about their coolants a clog forms somewhere.

Edit: There's a chance that even my warning about their coolant will have caused a clog or particles of coolant solidifying somewhere.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,074 Posts

HWL. Always HWL. A pair of 360GTS or a GTS plus SR-2 would make you a very happy camper.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Lian Li 011 XL will limit your radiator choices. I think 2 360's and a single 280 will be your limit (and one of the 360's will have to be on the slim side.) (I don't know this first hand - it's based only on reviews I've read.)
I have it with two radiators and the distro plate, but I have seen configurations with three radiators of 360. For example:

https://ggflan.com/lian-li-pc-o11-dynamic-triple-360-radiator-build/

https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/8ojefk/for_the_curious_o11dynamic_with_triple_360_rads/

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to go with a front distro plate. And 2 360 rads. One on bottom and one on top.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts