Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Climbin' in yo windows
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thanks to everyone who has helped me over the last few days with my failed samsung spinpoint drive and getting stuff backed up correctly.

Tomorrow I am going to re install windows to a new 500gb drive. I wanted to switch the sata controller mode to AHCI, its on IDE now. I heard that you should switch it before the OS install, but will I need a driver disk like when creating a OS raid set?

Also I have a sata drive in there now being used as a windows backup. I will not be re installing windows on this drive and just wanted to know if there will be any complications with the backup drive, being that it operating off sata controller mode: IDE right now. So if i switch to AHCI will the backup drive be readable/usable?

I posted this last night in another thread of mine, but people said it was confusing with the other topic at hand - so I gave it a new thread.

Thanks so much for all the help - can't wait to get this rig rollin again....

·
Climbin' in yo windows
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool - should be all set for when i get home tomorrow provided UPS is on time which they usually are, sux that my area where I live always gets afternoon deliveries though.

one thing i hate that I can't do is transfer the steamapps folder. its just too big and I don't have enough room, unless I can steal borrow one from work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts