Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for i7 builds under $1500 for gaming (but only spend 400$ on the gpu max) with links if possible.

I would hope for at least 3 but more if possible so i can pick the one i like the most.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Do you wish to overclock?

Newegg parts:

G.Skill 1333mhz, 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5v
I5-2500K
AsusP8P67

Explination:

Ram - I would choose that 8gb set as it is at decent timmings and @ 1.5v which is safe for Sandy bridge. Sandy bridge will work with 1.65v but it can affect the lifespan. The reason why i choose 8gb is some games late this year (battlefield 3) will have recommended Requirements of 64bit due to its newer engine, this means it will benfit from a 64bit os with over 4gb of ram.

CPU - I would choose this as it out performs a I7-950 considerably and is a great overclocker. The i7-2600K has 2 threads per core, but isnt needed for gaming.

Motherboard - I would chose that motherboard as it is really all you need. You can get a better version if required.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhudson;12028408
Not really. Thanks for asking though.

No cpu cooler, but OS needs to be included.
Take a look at my suggestions in the previous post.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
I'd spend more on a video card since you are in the market, Lemme toss something together
smile.gif
.

GTX 580 (GPU) http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130587&cm_re=gtx_580-_-14-130-587-_-Product
2600k i7 (CPU) http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070&Tpk=2600k
Asrock Extreme http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157217
Corsair XMS 3 RAM http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260

totals to about 1050$ the rest is for a case, psu and other stuff like that, I put together what I would use.

Asus DVD Drive http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Seagate 1.5TB http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148337

Coolermaster Storm Scout http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

Coolermaster Hyper 212+ http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Silverstone Air Penetrator for the 212+ http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220038&cm_re=120mm_fan-_-35-220-038-_-Product

Corsair VX 550w http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

totals to 1400 with my complete build or 1050 with my video card cpu and mobo and ram recommendation

hope this helps
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Johnny Guitar
View Post

I'd spend more on a video card since you are in the market, Lemme toss something together
.

GTX 580 (GPU) http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-587-_-Product
2600k i7 (CPU) http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...5070&Tpk=2600k

Corsair XMS 3 RAM http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820145260

He stated he was gaming, and Not over clocking.
So that motherboard should be fine for what he is using it for.

He doesn't need the 2600K as it makes very little to no difference in games, so he can save a fair bit of cash there and get a 2500. He also doesn't need the K edition he stated. 8gb of ram is also cheap, so in my opinion it would be a good investment as games are starting to go 64bit, so you will see more then 4gb being used at one time. (including os and background stuff like antivirus or webbrowser)

580 is a very good GPU but could be a little overkill. Perhaps you could wait and get a 570 to save some $$$.

Now, with all this save cashed your probably wondering what you should do with it. Simple, invest in a SSD. Even with the 580, you might still have enough for one if you get an i5-2500. You will not regret it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Honestly if I were you I would go with a 2500K and just do a moderate overclock. If you plan on going with a multi GPU setup not overclocking your CPU will bottleneck them. Plus the 2500k is only $15 more so its not really wasting any money for a lot more performance.

For a GPU go for a 580 but if that is to much money get two 460's, higher performance for around $400.

For the Mobo get the P8P67 PRO which you can get in a combo deal with the 2500K.

I like the XMS3 set that was posted above, pretty freakin cheap too!

I would go with a 750W PSU, something like the corsair HX750.

Get the spinpoint F3 1TB drive.

Quote:


Originally Posted by starpwnage
View Post

He stated he was gaming, and Not over clocking.
So that motherboard should be fine for what he is using it for.

He doesn't need the 2600K as it makes very little to no difference in games, so he can save a fair bit of cash there and get a 2500. He also doesn't need the K edition he stated. 8gb of ram is also cheap, so in my opinion it would be a good investment as games are starting to go 64bit, so you will see more then 4gb being used at one time. (including os and background stuff like antivirus or webbrowser)

580 is a very good GPU but could be a little overkill. Perhaps you could wait and get a 570 to save some $$$.

Now, with all this save cashed your probably wondering what you should do with it. Simple, invest in a SSD. Even with the 580, you might still have enough for one if you get an i5-2500. You will not regret it


Games have been using 64bit engines since vista....They are still not using more then 2GB's of ram at the most.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by kschat
View Post

Games have been using 64bit engines since vista....They are still not using more then 2GB's of ram at the most.

Really?
Well the programs seemd to only ever be 32bit, but now they are only starting to use 64bit engines and software which needs a 64bit os. Well, 64bit os is STRONGLY recommended, you could probally run 32bit, but your overall game experience will drop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by starpwnage
View Post

Really?
Well the programs seemd to only ever be 32bit, but now they are only starting to use 64bit engines and software which needs a 64bit os. Well, 64bit os is STRONGLY recommended, you could probally run 32bit, but your overall game experience will drop.

The main between a 64bit OS and a 32bit OS is that a 64bit OS has more memory addresses allowing it to use more ram. You see almost no performance difference between the OS's (unless you are using more then 3.5GB's of ram).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by kschat
View Post

The main between a 64bit OS and a 32bit OS is that a 64bit OS has more memory addresses allowing it to use more ram. You see almost no performance difference between the OS's (unless you are using more then 3.5GB's of ram).

I know.
32bit applications are limited to using a set amount of ram, unless compiled with a certain keyword. However, with games moving to 64bit, that lets them step outside those restrictions letting them do more memory intensive calculations.
In bad company 2, dice stated they could not have massive maps due to the memory required for building destruction in frostbite engine 1.5. Frostbite 2.0 is being used in battlefield 3 coming the second half of this year.

There is no exact details yet, but 8gb of ram is fairly cheap at the moment. And if you get 2x2gb which is needed for a quad core as each core needs 1/2 channel to prevent bottlenecking, then when you do eventually get 8gb when needed, you will have 4dimm's of memory which causes more instability.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top