So, I'm considering on buying one of the following boards:

MSI 790FX-GD70
MSI NF980-G65
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
ASUS Crosshair III Formula
Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5

I'm looking for
1) Price vs. Performance
2) Overclock ability (Mild, not extreme overclocking)

What are your guys/gals experiences with each? Anybody own more than 1? If so please state your opinions/comparisons of each if you have them.

I don't wish to wait for 890FX and I am going to be doing SLI with only 2 cards, not tri-SLI. I know I should just go with the NF980 for SLI, however since the other ones support it with tweaked drivers, might as well get opinions on all.

USB 3 and SATA 3 is nice however not necessary for me. My external is running on eSATA which is NOT on the NF890, however I got a bracket I can install.

Also before anybody asks about why I'm going nvidia over ATI right now, I just want to try something new.

I used to own the DDR2 version of the M4A79T Deluxe and it was just AWESOME, so im wondering if any of these boards (particularly the MSI ones) are just as good.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have the lower version to the gigabyte... It only has two pci express slots instead of 3... Best board I have ever owned hands down... I know you dont care but im just waiting for two 6gbps ssds to drop in raid... And i have alot of hdds... the 8 sata was a big plus for me plus the 2 esatas...

I was considering that board... From what i looked up the benefit was Dual Crossfire or Sli would run in x16 instead of 8x which im running now with my 5770s... But the difference wasnt noticeable from what the reviews where telling me (i believe it was 2 frames per second if so much)... And i acutally like the layout better on my board... There is a pci slot inbetween my two 5770s for a little extra breathing room...

So my vote goes to the Gigabyte as well... Never been a big MSI fan at all...

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So even if I plan on going SLI, I should stick with the Gigabyte? Just use those modded drivers?

That also rises another question... how does it perform compared to a Nvidia chipset? I mean, the 790FX being used in SLI. I'm just wondering if there is any performance hit because it's not a Nvidia chipset.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts