Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Eh, Wha?
9,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on putting together a mITX HTPC around the Ryzen 2200G. My only question is what motherboard should I be using?

I had originally planned on the ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac but figured I would wait for the new second gen AM4 boards. Now that they're out, the only options are the new x470 version of the same board, and the ASUS ROG Strix.

Aside from aesthetic and pricing differences, I'm having a very hard time discerning any differences between the 3. My far my biggest concerns are reliability and audio quality.

The machine will very likely be run 24/7 for the next 10+ years with very minimal maintenance in warm and somewhat airflow restricted environment, and at least for the foreseeable future the onboard audio will be used for driving a high power (self-amplified) 2.0 speaker setup.

Boards without HDMI output, like the previous gen ROG Strix models are unacceptable, as I will be using the 2200G's onboard Vega 8 IGPU for video output to my HDTV (currently 1080p, but I imagine the 2200G is sufficient for 4k video playback should I upgrade in the future. If anyone believes that is incorrect feel free to correct me).

Thanks.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nothing? No one has any experience with Ryzen APUs?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don’t have a Ryzen APU system yet, but I’ve looked over a lot of the same things you’re looking at. As far as HDMI output goes, the asrock x370/b350 and gigabyte itx boards all have HDMI 2.0 on them. This is opposed to the 1.4 advertised. Basically, hdmi standard is limited by the cpu you’re using on the promontory platform. A series APUs function with 1.4 and raven ridge is using 2.0, so your 4K playback is safe.

I’ve been eyeing the gigabyte board for a while because it also features DisplayPort and can do Freesync over that. All around it’s a pretty solid board. The main difference on the asrock boards seems to be the WiFi card they use with the b350 one being slower whereas the X*70 uses a faster one. The 470 model also has all of the bells and whistles that come along with that chipset.

As for my opinion, I’m torn between waiting for B450 and the Gigabyte board. The Gigabyte board is the best featured in my opinion and has adequate VRM heatsinks, at least on par or better than the asrock ones. It’s also pretty versatile. I looked at the ROG 370/470 boards. I’m not very interested in them, too pricey for me considering what you’re getting. I will probably wait for the B450 gigabyte refresh. StoreMI is really cool and I’d like it for my eventual HTPC.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Sorry I didn't see your response sooner. New OCN is... pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
So while the heatsink on the gigabyte boards looks the same, the VRMs are not. Both of Asrock 3xx series boards had identical VRMs which were the best available for mini itx.

X470 boards bring official support for HDMI 2.0 from the start, which isn't all that important given the unofficial HDMI 2.0 on all the old boards.

Price to performance the Asrock ab350 is hard to beat unless you need displayport, and then gigabyte has the best offering.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have a one of the Gigabyte AB350 boards on my 2200g, that only ran me $50ish at microcenter for my HTPC setup. can't say for the onboard audio, but board has been stable for past week just like all Gigabyte boards I had (anecdotal).

Edit: Just realize you said ITX, you know the Gigabyte has BT4.1 incase you want to get a remote or something. Not really much choice as of right for mITX offerings and I don't think X series is worth it in my opinion for HTPCs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts