Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again folks

So now has the time come to realy go into OC RAM, how its realy done and what works together in the best way.

So my RAM is set @ 1585 with timings 7-7-6-20-1T(stock:7-7-7-24) @ 1,7v.

Cpu OC:237x17=4.04Ghz
NB:2.85Ghz
HT:1.9Ghz

What Ive heard and read my timings should be like: tras=cl+trcd+trp and trc should be:trp+tras. Ok so here comes a few questions:

Is there any point of lowering my trc to say 20 if its suposed to be 27? The same with tras. I can lower it under 20 and be stable but is there any point??
Will I loose performance?
What can I run to check if it is better etc. Ive treid to look around, but havent realy found any good place to read up on this.

Hope somebody with this knowledge can teach or tell what to expect and why?

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Might just be me but I got better results with tRC at 24 than at 26 (26 following the tRP + tRAS rule - my RAM [G.Skill ECO CAS7] is set to 6-8-6-20-24-1T). I don't think there would be any point lowering it under, say, 20.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
The lowest your tRC can go is equal to the first two cycles, which is essentially CL+tRCD; but not all chips can do this. It will show up in results when you lower your tRC, in memory benchmarks.

tRAS can also be tightened to CL+tRCD+1/2+2 cycles=tRAS. So @ 7-7-7 tRAS=19. Again it's up to the chip if it can handle it. Lowering timings can sometimes be stabilized with more DRAM voltage, but not all chips can tighten up well.

Frequency will also impact performance but for roughly every 100~150Mhz you'll need an extra .1v (on average) but once again, some chips handle more voltage better than others. For increased stability at higher voltage extra cooling is needed.

In general the best thing for AMD Phenom II chips is to tighten the timings at it's rated speed. So if you've got 1600, it's best to aim for CL7 and tighten the rest, or CL6 if you can get it stable without errors.

To check memory performance you can run Everest's 'Cache' benchmark tool, as well as Maxxmem, SuperPi, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts