Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a look @ my overclock to 5.0 each step all i did was bump vcore and multi's running a 5-10 min prime run each time and made it to 5ghz....Its benchable @ 5 but not stable. i also noticed that my vcore jumps under load to 1.498 from the setting of 1.450. awfully close to 1.5v which i understand is the limit before cooking it.Temps are fine never leaving the high 50's underload. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Heres my settings via bios

Cpu Freq-100.00x50
Dram Freq-1600
Adjust cpu ratio-50
Adjusted cpu freq-5000mhz
Adjust ratio in OS-enabled
Internal Pll overvoltage-enabled
Dram freq-auto
XMP-enabled
Adjusted dram freq-1600
Dramm timing-auto-8-8-8-24/2T
"Advanced Dram config"

Spread spectrum- disabled
Vdroop-low VDroop
cpu core voltage-1.450
current cpu voltage-1.480
Cpu i/o voltage-auto
current i/o-1.352
Dram voltage-auto
current-1.664
System agent voltage-Auto
Current-0.928
Cpu Pll overvoltage-auto
Cpu vref a- all auto
b
c
d-
Active cores-all
Limit cpuid maximum-disabled
Execute disable bit-disabled
Intel virtulization tech-disabled
Power tech-disabled
C1e support-disabled
Overspeed protection-disabled
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ltgrithy
View Post

Have a look @ my overclock to 5.0 each step all i did was bump vcore and multi's running a 5-10 min prime run each time and made it to 5ghz....Its benchable @ 5 but not stable. i also noticed that my vcore jumps under load to 1.498 from the setting of 1.450. awfully close to 1.5v which i understand is the limit before cooking it.Temps are fine never leaving the high 50's underload. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Heres my settings via bios

Cpu Freq-100.00x50
Dram Freq-1600
Adjust cpu ratio-50
Adjusted cpu freq-5000mhz
Adjust ratio in OS-enabled
Internal Pll overvoltage-enabled
Dram freq-auto
XMP-enabled
Adjusted dram freq-1600
Dramm timing-auto-8-8-8-24/2T
"Advanced Dram config"

Spread spectrum- disabled
Vdroop-low VDroop
cpu core voltage-1.450
current cpu voltage-1.480
Cpu i/o voltage-auto
current i/o-1.352
Dram voltage-auto
current-1.664
System agent voltage-Auto
Current-0.928
Cpu Pll overvoltage-auto
Cpu vref a- all auto
b
c
d-
Active cores-all
Limit cpuid maximum-disabled
Execute disable bit-disabled
Intel virtulization tech-disabled
Power tech-disabled
C1e support-disabled
Overspeed protection-disabled

Can you post a screen shot of you running the Prime95 and RealTemp showing lowest and highest temp w 100% CPU load also CPU-Z showing the voltage and clock.
Since I have never seen a chip runs 50c on 5.0GHz @ 1.45v+ 100% load with air.
If that is the case, you have one of the best chip ever produced for SB.
Need to get batch # of your CPU, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:


Originally Posted by Tunagoblin
View Post

Can you post a screen shot of you running the Prime95 and RealTemp showing lowest and highest temp w 100% CPU load also CPU-Z showing the voltage and clock.
Since I have never seen a chip runs 50c on 5.0GHz @ 1.45v+ 100% load with air.
If that is the case, you have one of the best chip ever produced for SB.
Need to get batch # of your CPU, too.

I can give you a 4.9 run but not 5 as i stated.. i cant run prime @ 5. also u mis read it runs mid to high 50's underload.. im not stating i have a golden chip i just wanna stablize it so i can go further... im new to intel fresh from amd so yea
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ltgrithy
View Post

I can give you a 4.9 run but not 5 as i stated.. i cant run prime @ 5. also u mis read it runs mid to high 50's underload.. im not stating i have a golden chip i just wanna stablize it so i can go further... im new to intel fresh from amd so yea

even that is in 50c range. All I've seen is in the upper 60, 70c to 80c range with lower/similar voltage on water cooling.
So that is why I was wondering about your temp.
The CPU might be throttling to make it run lower than 5GHz, though.
Not sure till we see the screen shots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so i added vcore to get prime to run thus added a few degrees so at 1.460 in the bios it spiked to 1.509 underload. i did it for the screenie so i got ballsyi could only run a short 1 min of prime as it crashes at 1minhute 45 secs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by soulxp
View Post

lmao mid 50's? on 4.9ghz? you gotta be kidding me. water cooling cant even do that.

im asking for help not claiming i have a golden chip sir. Keep the critisism to yourself pls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ltgrithy
View Post

ok so i added vcore to get prime to run thus added a few degrees so at 1.460 in the bios it spiked to 1.509 underload. i did it for the screenie so i got ballsyi could only run a short 1 min of prime as it crashes at 1minhute 45 secs


Nice. Your chip has potential to get high clock. (I guess not 5GHz stable, though..) You have good temp but Voltage is too high for 24/7 use.
But you might be able to get 4.8GHz stable with good temp.
You should set your Vcore first to say 1.425 and then see how high the multiplier goes. when you get BSOD, make the multiplier down 1 notch and do the stress test. Or put Vcore 1 notch.
Then work from there I think.
Since keeping higher voltage degrades the chip (so I heard) so longer you keep the 1.5 voltage, it'll get harder to keep the same frequency stable. Also some spike might kill the CPU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:


Originally Posted by Tunagoblin
View Post

Nice. Your chip has potential to get high clock. (I guess not 5GHz stable, though..) You have good temp but Voltage is too high for 24/7 use.
You should set your Vcore first to say 1.425 and then see how high the multiplier goes. when you get BSOD, make the multiplier down 1 notch and do the stress test. Or put Vcore 1 notch.
Then work from there I think.
Since keeping higher voltage degrades the chip (so I heard) so longer you keep the 1.5 voltage, it'll get harder to keep the same frequency stable. Also some spike might kill the CPU.

Im just looking for the chips highest benchable speed. i run it at 4.7 24/7...also i im at a highervoltage than u reccomend because it will freeze on boot any lower @ 5ghz which is the hight (so far) ive been able to bench. im looking to fine tune the other voltages (pll) so i can back down the vcore a tad. 4.9 is stable but i dont want to 24/7 that high.. im aiming for highest benchable clock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltgrithy;14173172
Im just looking for the chips highest benchable speed. i run it at 4.7 24/7...also i im at a highervoltage than u reccomend because it will freeze on boot any lower @ 5ghz which is the hight (so far) ive been able to bench. im looking to fine tune the other voltages (pll) so i can back down the vcore a tad. 4.9 is stable but i dont want to 24/7 that high.. im aiming for highest benchable clock.
Good luck tweakin'!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunagoblin;14177014
Good luck tweakin'!
Thanks tuna. But where do I start? I'm new to intels, so some of the behaviors at. 5 ghz are unfimiliar. If I add the 1.80000 pll what does it do actually. When I stress it I see no increase in voltage(other than normal spike of (.020-.022v) when I add pll ? Also for some reason it won't stay going to bench unless I have xmp enabled which volts ny RAM to 1.65.. also doesn't Intel recommend no more than 1.52v vcore max? Also it crashes after the bench going back to idle speeds, when the voltage drops
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
1.65v is the max voltage for RAM.
You should have LLC (Load Line Calibration) setting in bios.
Increase the level of it to make it stop crashing when the voltage drops to idle level.
You don't really need to change CPU PLL Voltage since it doesn't make much difference in stability. (Some say it does at higher clock....) But it just gives you more heat...
I turned mine down to 1.709 even though I'm OC'. I was trying to make it generate less heat as possible.
I'd suggest you to look through the forums or google each terms of the BIOS setting (especially anything involved with voltage) before you change it....
If you don't know what you are turning down/up, it won't help making your system stable.

Also I'd OC other way than you. You seems like you want to get 5GHz first.
But I'd do lower clock first then making sure its stable and have idea of what kind of temp you CPU generates. Then move up from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunagoblin;14179640
1.65v is the max voltage for RAM.
You should have LLC (Load Line Calibration) setting in bios.
Increase the level of it to make it stop crashing when the voltage drops to idle level.
You don't really need to change CPU PLL Voltage since it doesn't make much difference in stability. (Some say it does at higher clock....) But it just gives you more heat...
I turned mine down to 1.709 even though I'm OC'. I was trying to make it generate less heat as possible.
I'd suggest you to look through the forums or google each terms of the BIOS setting (especially anything involved with voltage) before you change it....
If you don't know what you are turning down/up, it won't help making your system stable.

Also I'd OC other way than you. You seems like you want to get 5GHz first.
But I'd do lower clock first then making sure its stable and have idea of what kind of temp you CPU generates. Then move up from there.
I have 4.9 stable enough 2 hours of prime. I'm not a ****** I don't clock high and cry when it doesn't work. I also can bench at way lower voltages with the xmp enabled was at 1.455v and can now bench at 1.430v
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ltgrithy
View Post

I have 4.9 stable enough 2 hours of prime. I'm not a ****** I don't clock high and cry when it doesn't work. I also can bench at way lower voltages with the xmp enabled was at 1.455v and can now bench at 1.430v

2 hours of Prime95, if it's a "blend" torture test, is not enough to say it's stable.
Since the intense workload starts around 8-10 hours into it.
Here's what I do.

The quickest way for me to test the stability is to run LinX w/AVX (W7 SP1 Required) Make sure you set the thread to "4" since it is a quad core. Then set it "ALL"(max memory setting. it'll give you 6000MB+ if you have 8GB RAM) run it 3 times w/o error and/or Run Prime95 with custom setting similar to "In-Place Large FFTs" but with 1024 as the minimum test size and "run ffts in-place" checked. Run that for 20 min or so.
If that passes and you like your OC, then run Prime95 "Blend" setting in torture test and run it at least 10+hours. If you get no error, I'd say it is stable.

Also if you are going to run LinX w/AVX, watch for the temp closely since it give you about 10c more than any test will give you. (well..that's the reason why I use it for quick stability test)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top