Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get a cheap multimeter (preferably local department stores, not online) that can measure the voltages off the PSU.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wudaddy

Where can I get a cheap multimeter (preferably local department stores, not online) that can measure the voltages off the PSU.

I got mine at Fry's for 10 bux, it's digital and gets the job done

You can also get them at radioshack.

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Get the cheapest one you can find, it will have all the voltage and resistance readings you need, if you want one that can measure amperage, you might have to pay a bit more though.

EDIT: As for stores, look at Autozone or Lowes, Radioshack is expensive and has a bunch of fancy stuff.

• Rep+
Reactions: wudaddy

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so how does this thing work? Do I need to unplug the 12v wire going to my CPU or something?

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Plug the red lead into the yellow wire on a molex connector and the black lead into the black wire right next to it. Set the multimeter to voltage and read the measurment

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bartender Paradox

Plug the red lead into the yellow wire on a molex connector and the black lead into the black wire right next to it. Set the multimeter to voltage and read the measurment

Any chance of electricuting yourself? I better wear rubber clothes/gloves. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wudaddy

Any chance of electricuting yourself? I better wear rubber clothes/gloves. Thanks.

Yes, but it is hardly any chance, i wouldnt be worried about electricuting yourself...No need to change your outfit really..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts