Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a bunch of 4TB HDs I bought a little more than 1 year ago. I had a lot of trouble with them and I am very hesitant to buy more from any company...

Anyways I'm on pcpartspicker https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/internal-hard-drive/#S=4000000,10000000&sort=a7&page=1

I'm trying to find one of the hard drives on that list that are not going to flop on me.

I'm looking for some guidance LOL.

Price per GB is probably most important to me followed by the perception of the brands reliability. I know that any brand can have failures and do (I have had failures from almost all brands). It does seem like seagate has just been horrible for me. Like a 50% failure rate on their hard drives and around a 20-30% failure while doing initial checks. I know you can get entire bad batches so maybe that played into it. I know I had to buy 5 seagate 5TB drives to get 2 good ones. (using them as a raid mirror for a apple time machine system for several macs).

These drives will be used for storing media. An entire video library (Blu-Ray), all my music in lossless including lots of DSD and similar ultra high res audio, and system backups. I'm a bit of a digital hoarder. Anyways, instead of adding more 4TB drives to the current pool I have that is inside my main PC I am going to create a unraid PC and just keep adding disks as I run out of space. This makes the most sense for me... I have a few 2TB drives laying around to put up against whatever 4-8TB I buy at first... Once I get to 3 of whatever drive I buy I'll probably dump the 2TB drives in favor of the larger drivers.

W/ unraid you are limited by the number of drives you use so I would rather stick to larger drives.

4TB being the smallest but if it is possible to get the larger drives at a decent $/TB without greatly increasing the chances of them failing... well I would prefer to do so.

Anyways... any help would be great.

PRICE WISE THIS DRIVE LOOKS TEMPTING

BUT!!!! IT IS A SEAGATE!!!

I'll have to stress test it for 2 months straight LOL!!!

Again any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Skip the Seagates, HGST or WD Blacks are the way to go. According to BackBlaze, Seagate fails the most. Spend the extra $$$ and have some peace. I own two 5TB WD Blacks, they haven't failed on me yet. Actually to be honest, the amount of HDD's I've owned over the last 10 years have been mostly Western Digital and none have failed on me. I still have a 120GB IDE Western Digital hard drive sitting right next to me in this very room. Out of those 10 years I have only owned 2 Seagate drives and they both failed on me within a year or two.

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
it is documented that seagate drives fail more. if you are using them in a nas application, buy wd reds. other got with the wd blue or black.

i personally also have two 2tb toshiba drives that haven't given me a single issue in three years.
they run hot so i think the trick is keeping them cool. but that sorta applies to all hard drives.

·
Never Finished
2,315 Posts
If you are referring to the 1.5 and 3TB SG drives, then BB's results may be remotely helpful. Other than that, there is no point in using their results as consumer drives are not made for usage in commercial environments. SG 4TB drives are fine, and for those BB followers, you will see that since they feel comfortable with using nearly 30,000 of them.

·
Registered
288 Posts
For reliable storage get HGST NAS 4TB. All features of both worlds - customer+server (including vibration control). Price is very good considering the quality you get. If you want to RAID them stay away from WD Blacks. These are not certified to run in advanced arrays above R1 (no TLER function, which is disabled and cannot be reactivated like in old models pre-2TB with wdtler tool).

I have 3,4,5,6 TB HGSTs NAS. Couldn't recommend them enough. For RAID or drive pool. Excellent choice. And for me the only one.
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
BackBlaze loves the 4TB Seagates, so I bought two of them yesterday. They were also one of the least expensive 4TB drives. Just under $29 per TB on Amazon.

They are taking 8 hours each to format.

Write speed from my WD10EZEX to one of the Seagates was between 80 and 150. The other is still being formatted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts