Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a new monitor. And give this one to my nephews. Now, I found this one on the Egg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005150 but it says the deal expires on the 16th. Where I am it is already the 16th. Will it end in a couple hours, since they are pacific time, or at the end of the day.

Whats your opinion on that monitor. I need HDMI, DVI, and component(white red yellow). Prefer LED, but not a must, and high Res it important. Budget is around 180-225. If you know of any other good deals, or have recommendations, let me know. Thanks OCNers.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am split between these two monitors now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236111
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236112

I am leaning toward the 24 inch(the first one). But I want a DVI without taking up my HDMI. Unless I can run my monitor through the D-sub. I do not know what the different connections are called, besides VGA and HDMI. But I would like to have my Sat box hooked up to it, which only has Co-axial and RCA(Yellow, White, Red). Does either monitor have one of them??

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What gives better picture from a computer VGA, DVI, DVI-D(HDCP), or D-sub. I think HDMI would beat them all, but I want to use my PS3 for that.

What are the three different color wires called, Yellow, white, and red?? I thought it was RCA, but I think I am wrong.

Can someone fill me in??

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yellow, White, Red is composite. Only the yellow is video (red/white is 2ch audio). Component is Red, Green, Blue. D-SUB is standard analog VGA. Generally for use with a computer, DVI or new DisplayPort is best used. Generally, DVI and HDMI are very similar in spec as they're both digital, however HDMI carries audio. I believe HDMI also has to conform to certain resolutions where DVI you can choose non-standard resolutions.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks TamaDrumz, gave ya your first rep. Congrats.

I think am going to get the ASUS VE247H, although I love how slim the ASUS ML248H is and looks. It will come out to the same price as the 24", but has the DVI input. I dont wanna use HDMI from my computer, since I am going to use sound through my surround sound, and I wanna use my PS3 with HDMI.

I guess I am going to give up satellite TV in my room, unless I can get a VGA adapter for it. I never watched it here anyway. Thanks for the help peeps.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The VE247H looks like a great deal to me. 2ms GTG response time and a LED back-lit panel. The price-point is excellent and I like its small bezel look. I was going to jump on that a few weeks ago when buy.com had a great deal on it... thought about it too long and of course it went out of stock real fast.

Edit: You could always get an HDMI switcher if you wanted to use both your PS3 and Satellite receiver on the same monitor.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered the monitor and a couple other odds and ends. But I checked my email today and now they have a $20 off Promo code. I emailed them and I am waiting for a response. I hope they will will me up with a 20 buck credit, since it is still in transit.

Thats true Tama, but I dont have HDMI from my Sat. Only have SD in the house for now. Thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have heard of them doing it before. I am not expecting them to do it, its just I have nothing to lose and 20 bucks to gain.

I dont think they have anything to lose as well because if they do reimburse me $20, they would have a loyal customer for life. If they had a better WC selection, I would be able to buy all my computer parts from them.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WELL, I have received an email back today about the current 20 buck promo code. They dont honor sales like that, because of "constant fluctuation of prices". BUT they did say they are going to make an exception, and send me a $20 gift card since I am a valued customer, and I buy things from them all the time.

Rep+ for Newegg. Like I said before, and I just told them again, I am a Newegger for life.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got the monitor in today, and now I have the new one and the old one as dual monitor. Just temporary though. When I pulled it out of the box, I felt like I hit the lottery. It is so much brighter than my old monitor, and more crisp. I am amazed at how light and thin it is, and the other monitor I was going to get was thinner.

For some reason though, the monitor went black screened a couple times after I first hooked it up. But is going good so far. Also the lower right corner, about 1/5 of the screen, was darker. It kinda looked like a shadow on my desktop, but it was not. It also has cleared out.

Going to go play some L4D2 and see how it goes.

EDIT: is steam working?? I am having a hard time launching steam, and the one time I did, it wouldnt let me play. Said the the game is unavailable at this time for all of them. Now it wont even connect to steam network. Dam I hate steam.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts