Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on a very small budget and I need a mobo that supports the Pentium D 920 processor and is cheap. Like preferably less than $100. I see a lot that support "Dual Core" or "Pentium D" and they only support the Pentium D 800 series or the Celeron D series. Do I need the 955 chipset to support Pentium D 900 series? Hopefully not because the cheapest 955 chipset on newegg is $164.99

EDIT: LOL i like how so many companies say their mobos support Intel Pentium D but when you look at the CPU Support page it only supports P4 and Celeron D

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm it seems the ASUS P5LD2-VM supports Intel Pentium D 9xx series CPUs and its only $101 on newegg. Anyone else have any ideas of a cheap mobo that supports Pentium D 9xx series CPUs?

EDIT: I notice it only supports Pentium D 9xx series CPUs if it has the 0406 BIOS version. I don't think newegg says what BIOS version is on the board so would I have to e-mail newegg to find out what BIOS version their boards have?

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Check this link and this one.
And yes... I have the Asus P5LD2-VM and according to its manual (page 10) it does support Pentium D processors.
On a lighter note I would like to draw your attention that the P5LD2-VM is a Mini-ATX mobo. Not much room for installing additional cards in PCI slots (2 in total and 1 of them is so close to the PCI-E slot that it's practically impossible to use it).

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya im pretty sure the mobo i want is the ASUS P5LD2-VM but it has to have the 0406 BIOS which im not sure how to make sure it has it. A lot of mobo companies say they supprot Pentium D processors when they actually only support Celeron D. I should sue for false advertising. If you look up a lot of the mobos that say they support Pentium D andthen look up the mobo on the mobo company web site and look at the CPU Support page it will list a ton of P4 processors and then list like the 5 Celeron D processors. Its actally kind of funny.

EDIT: Will newegg.com make me send back everything i bought from them or only the mobo because the ASUS mobo I just bought from them only supports Pentium D 8xx series CPUs and I have a Pentium D 920.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by napkin

Ya im pretty sure the mobo i want is the ASUS P5LD2-VM but it has to have the 0406 BIOS which im not sure how to make sure it has it.

No need to make sure it has it. After you buy and install the mobo you can download the 0406 bios from Asus` website and use the utility that comes with the mobo cd to automatically flash your bios right from Windows !

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Get the Asus P5P800-SE board, the advantage it has is an intel springdale chipset, but supports AGP and DDR1 memory which is a disadvantage for most people. This board is on ZZF for 95 shipped.

It will also OC better than any of the boards posted above.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not going to be doing any OCing because this mobo is going to be running a server. I just need something that supports 4 sticks of DDR2 and will run a Pentium D 920. And I cant flash the mobo BIOS if I dont have a CPU that works ..... DUH!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the P5LD2-VM and it works great. It supported the Pentium D since it was first released, so you don't have to worry wiether or not it supports it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts