Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a tomahawk X570 and the onboard realtek ethernet is absolute trash. It literally does not work regardless of what driver I use. It worked initially but outright nonfunctional now. Am presently using the intel wifi, however I get random DC's due to what I think is my router being ****.

Thus i need a recommendation for a single port INTEL network card that is preferably less than 50$ CAD.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,049 Posts
Amazon.ca has a number of them for less than $50 Amazon.ca : pci-e network card
I have used StarTech adaptors cards and other stuff before and never had a problem with any of it

·
Registered
477 Posts
For a few bucks more, I recommend an intel Gigabit CT adaptor. These things saved my PCs when lightning hit my internet tower. Any PC with an intel nic survived, the nic having been destroyed.

The one PC that was using onboard ethernet had its whole motherboard destroyed.

After this, all my PCs get an intel CT adaptor.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Pook

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thus i need a recommendation for a single port INTEL network card that is preferably less than 50$ CAD.
At high performing products we do not set the price.

This is a top class hero, but you did skip mentioning even basics as motherboard connectivity requirements.
I was had to import this retail card from UK, that class of hardware it is a rare find, as is similar products of old 3COM brand, still top performers too.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
21,729 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Canada computers carries them,..most of the time.

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,702 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
I'd go with the I210-AT instead (well, I would actually go with an I350 but that is well outside your price target). The 210 chipset is 4 years newer and expected to be discontinued in 2029 which means you have plenty of driver support. Based on that product EOL, I would expect the Gigabit CT to probably have an EOL of its own in 2025 or so. I also prefer to never go down below PCIE 2.0 any more if I have to, and the Gigabit CT is a PCIE 1.1 chipset. Maybe it isnt a big deal, but I worry about backwards compatibility issues that may start to crop up

edit: I just looked it up, Intel says the Gigabit CT chipset is being EOL this year, so future drivers may be an issue on it:

·
Registered
751 Posts
plenty of driver support.
INTEL LAN card's they do everything in hardware, even the first release of driver within the operating system, this is more than enough.

·
AMD Acolyte
1,700 Posts
So the ethernet and the wifi aren't working? Are you sure it's your computer and not the switch/router? If it is your motherboard, surely this would be covered by warranty?

Also, is there something those old $60 Intel cards can do that a new $25 Realtek can't? Just wondering because this one has been working well enough on my Hyper-v host server/router for a while and 2.5G is like, more than 1G. 😕

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
INTEL LAN card's they do everything in hardware, even the first release of driver within the operating system, this is more than enough.
No, they don't "do everything in hardware" :rolleyes: You also cannot lump all Intel NICs into one giant pool like that. These old consumer-grade chipsets actually have very little hardware offload capability and definitely dont support any of the modern features, nor do they support using more than 2 CPU cores or have much cache space for maintaining high throughput. The driver support I am worried about is that with the chipset being EOL, and a new version of Windows right on the horizon it may not get a driver for Windows 11 at all.

So the ethernet and the wifi aren't working? Are you sure it's your computer and not the switch/router?
X570 realtek chipsets are known to be complete garbage and a ton of users have disconnection issues.
This was supposed to be fixed on newer AGESA and drivers, but some people still do complain about it going on.

·
Registered
751 Posts
No, they don't "do everything in hardware" :rolleyes: You also cannot lump all Intel NICs into one giant pool like that.
I do find your reply extremely generic.
I do build LAN for professional use since the times of WIN NT4.
The cards that I will select for my customers, they do everything in hardware.

·
AMD Acolyte
1,700 Posts
No, they don't "do everything in hardware" :rolleyes: You also cannot lump all Intel NICs into one giant pool like that. These old consumer-grade chipsets actually have very little hardware offload capability and definitely dont support any of the modern features, nor do they support using more than 2 CPU cores or have much cache space for maintaining high throughput. The driver support I am worried about is that with the chipset being EOL, and a new version of Windows right on the horizon it may not get a driver for Windows 11 at all.

X570 realtek chipsets are known to be complete garbage and a ton of users have disconnection issues.
This was supposed to be fixed on newer AGESA and drivers, but some people still do complain about it going on.
Oh dear, I wasn't aware and that's unfortunate. I can't say I've run into major issues with any wired Ethernet cards. Not saying it doesn't happen, I'm sure it does. Some cards may maintain top speed with longer cables better but to outright fail on a discreet card is rare and in a home environment I doubt you have cable runs over 50 meters. I just think paying so much money for hardware so old(gigabit is ancient at this point) doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Honestly, those Intel cards look like rip-offs to me. 2.5G is so cheap it just doesn't make sense to go lower than that and handicap yourself.

As far as driver support, as long as you stick to Windows I think you'd be fine no matter what you pick. As an example, the newest 10G cards haven't worked out of the box for us, but simply pluging into the network with a basic gigabit NIC for 1 minute is enough for Windows to grab the drivers automatically, you don't even need to restart. Linux is more tricky, though. There I guess Intel does do a quicker job getting its drivers into the kernal than Realtek. You can still make the latest and greatest work, just takes some fiddling.

·
Registered
751 Posts
so old(gigabit is ancient at this point) doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
The sky this is usually the limit, but if you make billions in cash from your LAN then wait for 5G wireless cards. lol

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
21,729 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
don't bother arguing with him, he's becoming sort of a meme at this point.
Yes do not argue with certified meme, this is a bad idea.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Just plugged in the intel EXPI9301CTBLK . No driver install needed and its working fine. Moving forwards mobos w/o intel ethernet chips will be avoided by me.
Wait, give as some benchmark data, can you see more than 70MB as file transfer per second? (copy of 500 MP3 from PC to PC)
What is the labeling over your LAN cable ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts