Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot on this forum during work. I'm in need of some advice as I'd like to try headphones for gaming and some music rather than going for the typical headset that I've been accustomed to.

I have a few questions.

What would you guys recommend for gaming(Mostly MMORPGs)? My budget would be around $100.

With my motherboard set up on my signature. Do you guys still recommend getting a sound card or is my onboard good enough?

·
Registered
224 Posts
You already answered the second question by yourself. headphones: get a steelseries, or a plantronics gamecom. awesome sound, awesome price.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMcQueen;15200357
You already answered the second question by yourself. headphones: get a steelseries, or a plantronics gamecom. awesome sound, awesome price.
Forgive my ignorance.. but what do you mean? I was asking if my onboard sound card is good enough or would I need to buy a sound card for my second question

·
Registered
224 Posts
Seriously, why a soundcard if you are planning to use it with headphones? IMO, unnecessary. The onboard chip will do fine.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMcQueen
View Post

Seriously, why a soundcard if you are planning to use it with headphones? IMO, unnecessary. The onboard chip will do fine.

/facepalm

Don't listen to that guy please.

Anyways here's a link to a thread with all the info you need, if you have other questions after this lmk.

http://www.overclock.net/sound-cards...-products.html

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMcQueen
View Post

:|

Because noticing gain in quality and performance via a headphone will be more obvious than a pair of speakers for the same price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wupah
View Post

/facepalm

Don't listen to that guy please.

Anyways here's a link to a thread with all the info you need, if you have other questions after this lmk.

http://www.overclock.net/sound-cards...-products.html

This person seems to know what they're talking about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notoriousxpinoy
View Post

I've been reading a lot on this forum during work. I'm in need of some advice as I'd like to try headphones for gaming and some music rather than going for the typical headset that I've been accustomed to.

I have a few questions.

What would you guys recommend for gaming(Mostly MMORPGs)? My budget would be around $100.

With my motherboard set up on my signature. Do you guys still recommend getting a sound card or is my onboard good enough?

For MMOs, you really don't ~need~ a sound card. If you want better sound and clarity a sound card will help if your speakers/headphones are good enough to allow you to hear the difference, but you could do just fine without a sound card for MMOs.

Still, the Xonar DX being 30 dollars at Amazon makes that a card worth buying, even if it's just for MMOs.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I agree with simca. That DX on Amazon would be great with some decent phones. Just add a desktop mic and call it good. If you wanter cheaper soundcard, Newegg has the Asus DG for around $15 right now - still a great option.

ATH-AD500 $50
Asus DX - $30
Desktop mic $13.18

= happy camper

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Notoriousxpinoy
View Post

I have a few questions.

It's always good to get a sound card just to see for yourself if it sounds better, but I wouldn't expect one to sound better than your onboard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts