Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i will be moving soon and i just got into the whole HD Phase. i just bought a new tv and want to hook up my computer from a room to my living room its approximately 40 feet i hvent really measured it yet but i estimate its around 30-50 feet.

During the past few days ive been searching the net for solutions
Solution #1
Running Dual Cat6e Cables and two 3-6 Feet HDMI cables
Items needed
HDMI over CAT5E / CAT6 Extender Wall Plate (Pair) - Single Port (1P) - White $18.15

CAT6A STP(Shielded Twist Pair) 50FT Molded Cable - Blue $13.47

High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified CL2 Rated (In-Wall Installation) Cable (24AWG) w/ Net Jacket - 6ft (Gold Plated Connectors) $8.30

Total Setup Cost $61.69 length - 62FEET
im debating whether to have longer hdmi and shorter Cat6 cables or Longer cat 6 shorter Hdmi 0.0

Solution #2
HDMI Silver-Plated Copper CL2 Rated (For In-Wall Installation) Cable (22AWG) - 50ft (Gold Plated Connectors) $87.04

Total setup cost $87.04
Hmm worried about quality and signal lost at that length 0.0 heard alot of bad things about it

Solution #3
HDMI Booster/EQ Unit Look At the bottom page $45

High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Silver-Plated Copper CL2 Rated (For In-Wall Installation) Cable (22AWG) - 25ft (Gold Plated Connectors) $48.11

Total Setup Cost $141.22 50 Feet

Hmm im considering about this one but im not sure how does an hdmi booster work really 0.0 do u just connect the two separate hdmi cables together and wala? or does it work like connect an 6 ft hdmi cable to booster and the then connect an 40 foot hdmi cable to your tv

BTW im using these connections to connect to my computer the video card has an HDMI Port

ive read only one success from JamSter
http://www.overclock.net/monitors-di...0p-pics-6.html

hm i was also plannign to just buy solution#1 first and if it doesnt work i could use the cat6 cable for my verizon dsl. 0.0 i could use those cat6 cables for my dsl right? lol
I was considering solution #3 base on this one comment

does this work with an ati video card?
i read this on the reviews
Does NOT work with ATI video cards
I purchased this along with 2 50ft CAT6 cables, and they worked perfectly with my XBOX 360. However, I bought this item with the intent to use it with my ATI video card's DVI/HDMI adapter, thus allowing me to watch video from my PC to my TV.

Unfortunately, I was never able to get said combination to work. I spent 9 hours trying various combinations of drivers, settings, cables, etc to hopefully make this work. I was not able to get a picture to show, let alone sound. After a 1hr long conversation with tech support here on Monoprice, we determined that these wallplates are simply not compatible with the video cards. I know it's not the video card (Sapphire 4890) either, since I was able to get a picture and sound when hooked up directly with an HDMI cable.

So yeah, this product is great for extending something like a console or set-top box, but steer clear if you want to use this with your video card.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
that wall plate can handle 28m/91.86ft @ 1080p with 2 matched Solid Cat6 STP 23AWG wires... your CAT6A cables are even better...

I'd run the CAT6A cables as far as they will go and use the shortest HDMI cables possible.

What you've planned out looks like it would be best, the CAT6A cables will offer far superior transmission to a long HDMI cable. and at 56-62 feet with 3-6 foot hdmi patch cables you won't need an amp.

don't know about the video issues with a computer as a source, should be hdmi 1.3b compliant. so there shouldn't be an issue... will research this a bit and get back to you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Linerror and CSU computer major ! i finally at least got an answer lol. hey i was also curious if i could also use the cat6a cables to connect to my verizon dsl modem =] since im ordering cables i might as well order some for my internet thanks.

SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card - Retail
Built-in HDMI w/ 7.1 Ch Audio & Low Profile Design

This is my current video card im not sure if it does hdmi 1.3b 0.0 but people just told me it does 1080p playback

also i was curious about monster hdmi cables their ultra 1000
i could get them around the same price as monoprice cables so should i go with monster? its the 4ft ones. but if the monoprice cables are better or the same i would get thoes instead saves me a couple of bucks money lol also i dont see that monoprice offers 4ft cables 0.0 with sheidling and according to monster their cables have shielding
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3831

i just noticed 0.0 what is AWG i see they have 22,24,28 awg which one is the best?

·
Banned
862 Posts
to me monster cables..or monster anything is overpriced and offers no real benefit over any other quality cable or product. all your buying is the name. any good quality hdmi cable that meets the hdmi standard will perform just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts