Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a small case to hold many hard drives. Like ten or more hard drives. All this will do is hold files that will be connected to the network. No video is required. I was looking at raspberry pis, but connecting multiple drives isn't possible.

Next, I thought of setting up a small mini itx build, but this is getting expensive and it's way too much horse power for what I need. CPU, MB, Ram. Right now, I have a ten year old computer that is still overkill for this kind of setup. It's just too big for my current project.

Then I came up with the idea of network attached storage, but most are only hold four drives and I would like more control over it. Like FTPs, accounts, individual folder shares and access and more. [Not sure if that is possible with one.]

Any suggestions on what I should do?

·
Registered
986 Posts
You can buy a RAID or NAS box, or build obe yourself. I am sure there are some how to's here. You can look at a few boxes on Newegg to get an idea of what they cost vs. your needs and ability/willingness to build your own.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aren't most of them restricted to only 4 drives? Anything higher is like a server at a grand or more and it's way too big for my needs.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
well you can use those baytrail pentiums or AMD AM1 platform. they are relatively low power platform and available in ITX which you can then get a sata controller for the drives.

case wise there is the silverstone DS380 which gives you 8x 3.5" + 4x 2.5" drive capacity or the lian li PC-Q26 which gives you 10x 3.5" drive capacity

·
Registered
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugi View Post

Aren't most of them restricted to only 4 drives? Anything higher is like a server at a grand or more and it's way too big for my needs.
There are some that I skimmed over on Newegg that hold 8 drives. It all depends on what you want out of it, speed and are willing to spend. If speed is not important you can just build your own with components that you want or you you can buy your own cloud machine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts