Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello community,

I am brand new to the OC commuting. I just recently built myself a new rig and would like to start overclocking it. I do some excell/word and a lot of gaming. I am also planning on doing a delid when the kit arrives from Germany. Here are my pc specs:

I7 8700k
Asus Rog Strix Z370-E
32 GB 3600Mhz Ram
Kraken X62 cooler
ZOTAC 1080Ti Amp Extreme
4 thermaltake 120mm fans
1 thermaltake 140mm Fab

I would like to run at 5Ghz, nothing too extreme I hope. If you someone could give me some guidance or setting suggestions that would be awesome. I read the OC guides here but don't feel comfortable experimenting.

Thanks everyone!

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
People will more or less quote guides. It's incredibly hard to kill a CPU. You're likely to do more damage installing the CPU than overclocking it. Overclocking is as easy as upping the multiplier and increasing voltage. Your maximum overclock is up to the silicon.

Every ASUS board comes with MCE automatically enabled so chances are your processor can handle 4.7 GHz fairly easily. I would start with that multiplier and test for stability with stock voltage. If your overclock isn't stable, slowly increase core voltage until it is stable. Increase multiplier, wash, rinse, repeat. It's honestly that simple.

I understand your concern when it comes to overclocking, but it's pretty safe. You're more likely to see your processor die from your AIO leaking than your CPU receiving too much voltage or overheating. Your BIOS will warn you if you try to supply your CPU with too much voltage. Your CPU has built-in safeguards against overheating. Overclock with confidence.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I guess I’ll give it a shot. Is there an easy way to reset my mobo if it locks up or won’t post?

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
There should be a button to reset the BIOS on your motherboard. If there isn't, you can pull the CMOS battery. If your system doesn't POST after changing your BIOS settings, it should revert. These motherboard manufacturers have a lot of safeguards built in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts