Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day Overclock'ers'?'

I, who has been lurking around you secretly for the past couple of months now is humbly seeking your help...

i built my computer from scratch several months ago, in which i do not remember when exactly. I came to ask for help regarding on which component you think i should change/upgrade. CPU/MOBO/RAM etc...

My system as of this moment is composed of :
**Links are directed to www.scan.co.uk depending on which components it is**

Motherboard = M4A785TD-V EVO AM3

CPU = AMD Athlon II X2 250
CPU Cooler = Arctic Cooling Freezer 7

Graphics Card = GTX 460

RAM = Corsair XMS 4GB

PSU = Ocz Fatal1ty Series 550w PSU I have a problem with this one, apparently, the cables are rather short? like the molex'es for example or the cable that powers up the hard drive and the DVD drive... *i dont really know the right terms for them*

HDD = 1TB (1000 GB) Samsung Spinpoint F3 Hard Drive

Case = Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W
**Unfortunately, i dont have the one with Air Penetrator fans preinstalled...** **Hehe penetrator**

I have an OEM version of windows 7... I know that due to this, i wont be able to change my Motherboard as this will make windows 7 not work. So I'm willing to get a new windows 7 if I have to.

My Budget is roughly £350 to £400 no more than that or i wont be able to afford it, the missus will /facepalm me...

I use the system mainly to play games, and the "occasional" video and photo editing. But most of the time, it's just gaming non stop. SO yeh, It's a gaming system.

One more question, It says here that Athlon 250 only supports ddr3 1333mhz? and the one I have is ddr3 1600mhz. Im building my GF a new system, and if i have to buy a ddr3 1333mhz ram, i will and give her the 1600mhz.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely yours
A humble geek

Thanks

Edit: Just to add, RAID 0/SSD think it'll be a good idea to do that as well? Included on the budget of course. but which ever is needed first...

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
was thinking of that, but i dont know which CPU is good nowadays with bulldozer/bobcat coming..

Intel is a no no for me, I'm not an AMD fanboi or anything like that, but i prefer using amd than an over the top too much power for me intel. I'm only using hte system for gaming so intel's processing power in my system will be wasted resources...

anyway...
any suggestions? ^_^ I have a feeling the MOBO is holding me down, but if it can do the job, i wont replace it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not that I'm worried about Bulldozer/bobcat getting released. I'm not going to be jumping on the bandwagon instantly when it comes out. I just want to have a stable system that can play the current/future games at the moment.

I sometimes get low FPS on starcraft 2 and BFBC at times...
so if i have to upgrade the CPU, I will, get RAID, or a SSD, i will do that too..

But yeh, as i asked a while ago
It says here that Athlon 250 only supports ddr3 1333mhz? and the one I have is ddr3 1600mhz. Im building my GF a new system, and if i have to buy a ddr3 1333mhz ram, i will and give her the 1600mhz. does it make a difference? what happens anyway if the cpu can only support 1333mhz when you have 1600mhz? does that make your system a tad slower than how it should be? i dont want to stop my system from doing what its capable of...

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, just for "gaming", nothing else, and the occasional Video Photo editing, but i do that on my work laptop anyway... I'm one of the lucky ones who has a gamer girlfriend as their partner so yeh.. she fully support my obssesion with gaming as long as she can play her WoW without me bothering her... XD

Thanks a lot for your help btw! Really appreciate it ^_^

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,585 Posts
Pick up an Athlon X4 640 and an SSD and you are set.
Also, the RAM is either downclocked to 1333 to make the CPU happy, or thats just the manufacturers rating and not what it can actually handle.
Kind of like how certain RAM isnt on a manufacturers compatibility sheet for a mobo but still works.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilWrir View Post
Also, the RAM is either downclocked to 1333 to make the CPU happy, or thats just the manufacturers rating and not what it can actually handle.
Kind of like how certain RAM isnt on a manufacturers compatibility sheet for a mobo but still works.
I do recommend upgrading the CPU but If your going to do that just make the jump to a x6.
The ram will be downclocked to 1333. I believe he knows that though.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilWrir View Post
Will check up on that one ^_^

Quote:
Have your thought about dual GPU's?
Thought about that yeh, but i honestly dont know how its done, i've read about it, and i think my PSU is not enough to support dual GPU's..

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by M1nUrThr3t View Post
FYI: You would not be able to SLI with that setup though. nvidia and amd....

also for 1600 on your MB it needs to be OC's
hehe this i know, thats why i might give my 460 to my GF ^_^

get an ATI one... 2x 5770 if that works... ** im just guessing here btw **

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by M1nUrThr3t View Post
well CPU 1055 will run you about $200
1055t

I just got this SSD
Mushkin SSD

I did research and this is a nice SSD.
I think ill go for this option, because getting a new MOBO means i have to get a new copy of windows 7? CUz the one i have is an OEM copy. anyway, 1055 is a six core right? i've heard and read stuff that most games only utilizes 2-3 cores.. will the extra cores help? or... ? sorry for these god awful nooby questions...

EDIT: oh and btw, i've heard these rumours about intel making some SSD's? is this something i have to think about?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
You could look into Intel SSD, but IMO the price to GB is too high.
That is why I chose the Mushkin, great reviews, feedback and specs.

Games will not use the 6 cores, you are right. You should get a nice overall performance increase though from 2-6 cores.
It will also help with video editing and rendering times, photo editing and things of that nature.

So SSD paired with a nice 6 core will make you happy!!! lol

with some work you could prob OC that mem to 1600 too.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts