Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey OCN community, it's been a while. I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct place; if not, moderators please feel free to move it.

Anywho, I have a dilemma I need some advice with. Currently I have broadband internet through a company called TDS. I live out in the sticks and this is literally the only option other than satellite. With TDS I'm paying $90/mo for ~0.5mb/s and around 250 ping. I've replaced my router multiple times, I've called customer service, I've done everything in my power to achieve the 5mb/s I'm paying for, with no results. After 3 years of using this internet I have deduced that it is indeed monopolistic trash. It literally can't stream any videos, not even 144p youtube. In order to play competitive games online I have to hotspot on my cellphone, which is serviceable. TDS's only saving grace is that it doesn't have a hard data cap that I'm aware of and it speeds up between the hours of 2-6am, enough to download around 10 gigs of videogame files per night. Outside of those hours the internet is so slow downloads completely fail.

I'm sorry if that sounded like a rant, I'm just really frustrated with the service. On to my question. Satellite providers and mobile hotspots haven't been justifiable in the past because of the hard data caps. I'm an avid gamer and as we all know videogames file sizes and patches are just getting larger and larger. Chances are I'd burn through a 50gb data cap in less than a week, maybe two. However, with Hughesnet Gen 5 they're offering 25mb/s with 50gb regular data and 50gb off peak usage (100gb/mo total) at $130/mo with no hard data cap. They claim that once you surpass your data allowance you'll be reduced to speeds ranging from 1-3mb/s, though just reading on forums it seems lower than that. Chances are at least half the time I'll be using hughesnet it'll be throttled so I guess my question would be this; Would throttled Hughesnet still be better than that Junk I'm paying for now? Are any of you on Hughesnet? What do you think of it? Are there any other satellite/cellphone mobile hotspots that would be better than hughesnet?

Any help would be much appreciated!! :)

P.S. I know satellite internet has high ping times so as far as online gaming is concerned I'm content to continue using my hotspot for anything competitive. It doesn't use that much data.

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts
Hi,
Verizon I've read uses satellite not sure if that is your cell service or not sort of sounds like it ?
Not sure if any companies like dish network or at&t's newly acquired dish company do internet ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts