Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow members!

I've recently decided to buy an Intel CPU over an AMD one for my next computer upgrade. I've been purchasing AMD CPU's for as long as I can remember, but I feel that now, it is time for that to change. The current problem that I am facing is deciding between an Intel i7 4790k or an Intel i7 6700k, both top of the line i7 CPU's I'm sure. I can't seem to justify (to myself) that purchasing a 6700k is worth it, despite using a newer supported socket (that future CPU's might use). What do you guys think? Should I shell out a little (actually a lot) extra for a 6700k?

4790k route: Upgrade Motherboard and CPU. ~$400
6700k route: Upgrade Motherboard (compatible with DDR3 Memory) and CPU. ~$550

Also, I've always been overclocking my AMD cards. Are there any tips that I should know about when overclocking my i7's?

Thanks in advance!

·
Senior OCN Member
40,420 Posts
A 6700K would make more sense if you are going to upgrade but you cant use DDR3 RAM then.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Where are you buying the 6700k from? Some places have inflated prices because low supply, imo that price difference dont justify the 6700k over the 4790k.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

A 6700K would make more sense if you are going to upgrade but you cant use DDR3 RAM then.
There is actually one motherboard that supports the LGA 1151 socket and DDR3 RAM, but only one. If I do upgrade to the 6700k, I suppose Im going to need DDR4 for a real upgrade. Ouch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwertyu View Post

Where are you buying the 6700k from? Some places have inflated prices because low supply, imo that price difference dont justify the 6700k over the 4790k.
I know! The prices literally just went up across the board. I'm basing it off the average price which was around $450. I don't know about this site (just googled it), but this site is selling one for $370 ish.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to be using it for mostly high-intensity gaming now. I used to do a lot of computationally heavy things like video editing, rendering, and what not, but I don't have the time to pursue that hobby anymore. Thanks for you input. I'm leaning heavily towards the 4790k right now.

EDIT:

I come from AMD Overclocking, so I don't know much about overclocking i7's. Is there anything really different from overclocking an AMD and an Intel?

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
Once you decide on which CPU platform (Haswell or Skylake), head over to the Intel CPU section of this forum. There's very detailed guides and plenty of people to help you OC.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisgoot312 View Post

I'm going to be using it for mostly high-intensity gaming now. I used to do a lot of computationally heavy things like video editing, rendering, and what not, but I don't have the time to pursue that hobby anymore. Thanks for you input. I'm leaning heavily towards the 4790k right now.

EDIT:

I come from AMD Overclocking, so I don't know much about overclocking i7's. Is there anything really different from overclocking an AMD and an Intel?
I'm also a long time AMD buyer and looking at switching over to Intel.
Seems only Intel chip-sets support the really fast M.2 PCI-E X4 SSD drives (2200R/1400W).

I only recently started reading up on Intel's current CPUs, but so far.
My current impression is the i7-4790K is really not that much better, in practical terms, then the i5-4690K.
From my current understand, the i7-4790k Hyper Threading just does not make much difference in practical terms.
And the i7-4790K & i5-4690K overclock to around the same speed.
So I'm currently planning on switching from my FX6350 to the i5-4690K.
So you might be able to get a i5-4690K & motherboard for just over $300.
Lots of used i5-4690k on eBay.
You might be then able to budget for an SSD boot drive:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input! I understand that the i5 variant is just about as fast, but I really want the best of the generation, so I think I'll stick with the i7's. When I bought AMD, I went best price/performance, but with this switch, I just want performance, so the premium fine doesn't really bother me. Btw, I already own an SSD and its awesome. You just can't beat the boot times!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts