Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, It is getting closer to the time that I will be making a $400 build but I was wanting to get some thoughts on the build. I am mostly going to buy it and resell it so as long as I can make the money I put into it. Also I might be playing some FPS games

here is my first one... it has a PH II x2:

[/IMG]

and then I have another build (the one I like best) with a Ph II x3:

[/IMG]

Im not sure how good Biostar motherboards are... is there anything majority wrong with them? like: is there anything that i known about the motherboards that i am looking at?

some of the components I will be purchasing from eBay...

I only need:

case
cpu
gpu
ram
psu
hdd
optical drive (will be bought from eBay.)

If you guys have better ideas on some of the components please let me know.
sorry for the long post...

·
Registered
2,382 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
I've had more than a few Biostar MBs and none ever failed.
But, some of the earlier boards used a metal tab retention device for the battery and after many battery removals the tabs broke off on one board

All of them OCed well but compared to higher end OCer MBs hot quite as well overall. If your not reaching for that extra couple hundred MHz OC then it's no big deal.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies... as you can see on the second build it already includes a 480watt power supply. (even tho its going to be super-cheap.) would that run the build that I am looking at now?? and is there a possibility that it would support unlocking to a 4th core?? Im just trying to get and idea on it... cuz if i have to get another PSU it will have to come from downgrading of other components.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
In my opinion, I wouldn't waste money on a gt240. Save some money and buy a 9600gt or 48xx used in the for sale. Use that money to not make compromises in the other components and you will be happier for a longer period time. You'll likely upgrade cards in the next year anyways.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have that same motherboard and can honestly say, it's one of the best I have run across(and I've done MANY builds over the years). The BIOS overclock functions are damn near limitless, but it also has an Auto Overclock if you'd rather not get your "hands dirty". I'm running my PII [email protected], 4th core unlocked and 100% stable with very little effort.

Sure, there are better mobos out there, but for the money, I don't think you're gonna do much better. Keep in mind, it "only" does DDR2, but for most that's not a problem.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the help guys...now for selling my other rigs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.