Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have some crappy Ultra ddr 400 ram. Right now im running it at 133, but with my oc it brings it right back up to 200mhz. Now my question, is 2.9 volts to much for regular ram? I have great cooling and it doesnt seem to be getting hot. Also what is better. 1T command rate with cas 3 or! 2T command rate with cas 2.5 . with the 1T command rate i can run my timmings at 3-3-3-8 with the 2t command rate i can run 2.5-3-3-7 . And is 3 volts pushing it? lol

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
2.9v for DDR isn't too bad. OCZ and Corsair both allow RAM to hit 2.9v before their warranties are voided. 3.0v is a lot but isn't absurd. However, not all motherboards allow that much in the BIOS.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I'd go with 3-3-3-8 1T.

Maybe you could try tighter timings at CAS 3, say, 3-3-3-5 1T or 3-3-2-5 1T......give it a try

·
Registered
708 Posts
Now I'm not too experienced with DDR, but from what I know it depends on the chips you have in your ram really, but 3v seems pretty safe. Do you have active cooling on your ram?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeking78 View Post
I'd go with 3-3-3-8 1T.

Maybe you could try tighter timings at CAS 3, say, 3-3-3-5 1T or 3-3-2-5 1T......give it a try
CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-Command Rate

You want to make sure that your tRAS < CAS + tRCD. Therefore, try 3-3-2-7-1T instead.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-Command Rate

You want to make sure that your tRAS < CAS + tRCD. Therefore, try 3-3-2-7-1T instead.
I ran 3-3-2-5 1T with my old XMS 4400 Pro at 520mhz, it loved it

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
your voltage is really dependent on the IC's you have in your chips. 2.9v isn't bad at all. my TCCD only requires 2.85v to get wayyyyyyyyyy high in speeds.

you'll be better off w/ 1t as opposed to 2t at such a low speed. you only really make up for the perofrmance loss in 2t when you're running around ddr650.

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well stock voltages for the ram i have is 2.5 volts. Its not TCCD or anything like that, its some cheapy Ultra value ram that cost me 35 a stick hehe. So its not the voltage that will kill them its the heat right? so if i keep them cool they should be ok? with 2.9 even 3.0 volts pumping through them? If i burn them up it then i will just have to get some ddr500

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by burnstudios View Post
Well stock voltages for the ram i have is 2.5 volts. Its not TCCD or anything like that, its some cheapy Ultra value ram that cost me 35 a stick hehe. So its not the voltage that will kill them its the heat right? so if i keep them cool they should be ok? with 2.9 even 3.0 volts pumping through them? If i burn them up it then i will just have to get some ddr500

Both voltage and heat can kill components. Increased voltage raises the chances of electromigration

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudd View Post
then burn them up

well i dont really wana burn them up lol. Id be without my pc untill i could get some new ram here.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i'd say 2.9v is good for now, see what you can do with it. First, get some benching software. Set it in T2 and get the timings as tight as you can get them without a crash. run the bench and copy the numbers down and repeat with T1. this could take several hours depending on how much work you put into it but it will be worth it in the end.

Ive had great success with the Geil One-S. I highly recomend it if you burn your 400 up. the DDR-600 cost me $130 or something for a gig and does produre some heat so you will need a little bit of air flow. I used an old AMD 754 fan I had laying around. plugged it in and stuffed it in there worked GREAT! on the down side you will need some power to push that ram to 300Mhz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts