Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, like I said in an earlier thread.. my 4870x2 died on me... and I doubt it's going to be accepted as a warrenty case....

Soooo:

So, my dilemma is, what to do? Of the cards out on the market right now 4870x2 is the most tempting one. Shure I could get the 295, but I'm with the red tide so I'm going AMD/ATi... but what to do? Get another 4870x2 or get a 4870 until I get a final word from the supplier about the RMA case... and than Trifire if the card get's accepted... but at the high risk of it beeing rejected.. what to do then? Another 4870 in CF wouldn't preform as well as a 4870x2 in most cases, and would cost be a little more.. but at least then I won't throw away that much money if the RMA case get's accepted - and I thought of perhaps trifire anyways so then I'll get to do that.. but it's a 4870x2 I really want... but also, how far away should the next gen x2's be? Cause I'm going to kill myself if I get a new 4870x2 now and then to get the news that in two months the next set of x2's are comming..

Let's say I get the 4870x2 and in 6 months the next gen x2's are hitting the market... how much do you think I could get from my x2 in comparison to how much I'll have to give for it?
And yeah.. this is Norway... so selling it here on OCN or something won't be an option given that here the card costs like $600... Like a $130 more than overseas... sweet ha? So hopefully the RMA get's accepted.. or at least they offer to fix the card against some payment.. I'd gladly spend some bucks on a repair if it meant that I'd save money in comparison to $600...

If there would at least excisted a release date for the next series of x2's I'd might get myself a middle class card while I wait... but since there aren't any news on that matter I won't hold my breath for to long..

If I order an 4870x2 now.. and don't use it until I know if my card gets accepted or rejected.. I could just return it within 14 days for a full money return.. the card is starting to get sold out.. and don't look like all the suppliers is getting it back in.. could it be because next gen is around the corner?

Anyways.. lol... need some advice here.. thinking about order another card today... it takes like 4 days for it to get in stock at the supplier also.. don't want to stay without a card for to long.. lol.. hate not having my baby around..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,727 Posts
Get a 4850x2. Watch newegg and try to catch it when it drops to $275 or find a coupon. You will need to check the length of your case though, the card is 11.5" long. Ideally, you need 20" long case or more. Good luck in picking a new card.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, like I said - I live in Norway, so Newegg isn't an option for me unfortunately.. if it were I'd get a card of Newegg straigt away.. and doubt I'll get Newegg to set a low value on the shipment..

Actually, I haven't seen the 4850x2 for sale on any webstore here i Norway yet... perhaps it's sold out and not going to get back in stock..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,096 Posts
I would have to say to wait until april. New card's will be out. Upgrade to them in crossfire, you'll beat any other setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps.. but then I'll be without a computer for 2 months or so whitch kinda sucks bigtime.. is the april release worldwide as well? If so, then perhaps two 4890's in CF is the way I'll go.. Going to try and see if some suppliers here in Norway have any news on this..

Edit:
Okay.. it seems like the 4890 it's going to hit stores here in Norway in april as well hopefully.. so I'll hold on at least until I get some info on the card I'm RMA'ing... see if there are any more spesific news out the.. if it's dead.. perhaps I'll wait until april... but, hmm, how will the price of two 4890's be agains one 4870x2? Can't afford to go to much higher then the price of one 4870x2... and also, won't the 4890 just have 512M memory? The OC'd edition might get 1GB? But depends on the cost of that though..

Seems like the expected price of one 4890 will be a little under 3000 NOK whitch means that two cards will be around 6000 NOK, while one 4870x2 is like 4500 NOK.. 6k is a bit high...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
As Rico said I would of recommend the sapphire 4850 x2, but it would be very hard for you to get it in norway. Other then that wait untill you hear back from ASUS, they have really good RMA, I think they will take care of you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,096 Posts
The price for the 4890's will be $199-$250 USD. I think $199 for the standard version coming out in mid april, and $250 for the OC version coming out in late april. But it's between $199-$250 for the standard for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:


Originally Posted by Bluzeboy
View Post

As Rico said I would of recommend the sapphire 4850 x2, but it would be very hard for you to get it in norway. Other then that wait untill you hear back from ASUS, they have really good RMA, I think they will take care of you.

Well, this isn't ASUS directly.. this is a supplier.. I return the card to them, and they'll take the desition.. if they find it valid for warranty repair... they'll handle it.. I guess I could contact ASUS in Norway directly if the supplier rejects me..

Anyways.. I feel buying a 4850x2 now would be taking a step backwards considering that it would cost around the same as a 4890 when it comes, so guess I can rule out that card as a possebility, especially with the new cards beeing couple of months away.. Since two 4870's doesn't preforme as well as one 4870x2 I'm going for a 4870x2 again I think, or two 4890's.. boring part is that I have to wait many weeks for the 4890... and knowing the norwegian suppliers they're probably going to have a couple of weeks delay also..

Quote:


Originally Posted by Sickened1
View Post

The price for the 4890's will be $199-$250 USD. I think $199 for the standard version coming out in mid april, and $250 for the OC version coming out in late april. But it's between $199-$250 for the standard for sure.

First of.. this is Norway = everything costs more here.. what's cost $300 in the US you can swear on is going to cost at least $370+ here..
Anyhow.. guess the standar will be around 199 yeah.. but it have like 512MB right?.. the OC'd version will have 1GB.. but then the price ups with 100 though.. The price seems to fall a little under 3000NOK whitch I guess well be around something like $400.. whitch sux...
Anyhow.. the 4890 seems tempting to wait for.. need to sleep on it..
 

·
Cheesebumps!!
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
i could only say it once more..4850x2..but it depends on what purpose it will have on you..it will be also a good news if you get your RMA good..that 4870x2 is also a kicker..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,475 Posts
get something to keep you busy while you wait for the better cards, i suggest the 4850 single just for the meantime till the newer cards come out
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top