Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i was sure buying the MSI Eclipse Plus Board together with i7 965 XE CPU,
Now i found at PCMag.com an review about the little sister of Eclipse Plus, the Eclipse SLI

Quote:
The pricey ($350 street) MSI Eclipse SLI is a high-end motherboard based on the new Intel Core i7 CPU and the company's X58 chipset. As you'd expect from the product name, it supports Nvidia's dual-graphics SLI technology. It also works with AMD's CrossFire graphics, though. The target audience, tech enthusiasts and gamers will find a clean layout and a wealth of features, but the implementation of some capabilities leaves a bit to be desired. For example, there's an LED temperature readout-and that's good-but depending on your hardware and case, it's difficult or impossible to see. The designers also made a strange choice with the power-management hardware, putting it in a dongle rather than building it in. And because the overclocking software is too unstable to be usable, overclocking requires a long, manual trial-and-error process. The board itself is quite stable when pushed, though, and performs well. Although pricey, the MSI Eclipse SLI a solid contender and will certainly give you a superb Core i7 system.
and there the board didnt got a really good rating, they criticize the unstable BIOS and the layout. I want to know if the MSI Eclipse Plus has made it better, but can't find-out something about that.
I choosed the MSI Eclipse Pluse before the ASUS Rampage Extreme II and ASUS P6T6 Revolution, cause @ the MSI Eclipse Plus have can change QPI and Uncore settings and the Asus Boards cannot. How important is it for you to control the QPI and Uncore. I think It's really neccessary for overclocking RAM.
Now I am at doubt if that feature balances out the contras named at PC Mag.

Now i am standing where i was before. I need help to select a Mainboard between these 3:
MSI Eclipse Plus, ASUS Rampage II Extreme or ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I know your going to look at me like I have a third eyeball, this is my reccomendation for you... In stock, price is right and so seems the reviews.

Asrock x58 super computer, I'm fairly certain asrock is a subsidary of ASUS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157150

But from your choices...ASUS Rampage II Extreme

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ********** View Post
I know your going to look at me like I have a third eyeball, this is my reccomendation for you
Haha, now i have anothe board in my list. No serious, I'm pendind between the 2 Asus' and MSI Eclipse Plus.
Can some1 say me if the Eclipse Plus OC settings as complicated as the Eclipse SLI ? And if you suggest to buy the Asus Boards then why? The Rampage Board misses only the settings for Uncore and the P6T6 misses Uncore and QPI settings in Bios. Are these settings important for you? Especcially if u would by the i7 965 XE CPU?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts