Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

A little background story here to help understand my issue. My work often takes me away from home, for roughly half the year in total. There is a main site where I live in an RV for most of it, although for one to two of those six months I travel from that site with the RV. At the main site, there is a wifi router that I'm going to say is 200-250ish feet from my RV. A year ago, I purchased a Cradlepoint IBR900 for an internet solution. I thought this would be a good all around solution as it had Wifi as WAN capabilities for use at the main site as well as the ability to use mobile (cellphone) internet to create a home-like network when the RV travels from the site and is much better at it than a simple jetpack or other standard solution from a wireless carrier. It has worked good for the most part, but I struggle to maintain Wifi as WAN connectivity at the main site. To my surprise, I actually pick up solid signal strength with Wifi as WAN. I normally get around -60 dbm signal strength, which it considers 5/5 bars. For comparison, simply trying to connect to the main network with any device will yield a 1 bar connection, if it can even connect at all. So the "network amplification" of the Cradlepoint is pretty impressive. It also produces a good, low latency network that I can use for online gaming, VOIP, or whatever in my spare time. Cell internet is far too high latency to use in these applications with any success. The problem is that it will just randomly drop connection, fairly often, which I then have to go into the interface and reconnect it. As you can imagine, this can be pretty annoying.

I am looking for a better solution at the main site. I like the idea of Wifi as WAN because it allows me to create my own "private network". I am really unfamiliar with range extenders, and Wifi as WAN for that matter prior to this experience. Maybe they are basically the same thing. I'm not clear on that. I guess I'm just looking for recommendations for products that would basically produce the same experience as my Cradlepoint but without the disconnects. Does anyone have any suggestions or even resources I could research to help me find a better solution? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check out options from Ubiquiti. At my last job we used their wireless devices to do everything from shoot wifi to different house spread out over several square miles to add coverage to a large car lot so the sales people could use cell phone apps over wifi to answer their desk phones.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out options from Ubiquiti. At my last job we used their wireless devices to do everything from shoot wifi to different house spread out over several square miles to add coverage to a large car lot so the sales people could use cell phone apps over wifi to answer their desk phones.
I will definitely do that. Thanks for the recommendation. Any products in particular?

·
Typo Elemental
3,223 Posts
I would suggest going to amazon and seeing what fits in your budget. Several of those APs support mesh wifi, which means that if you add another AP to your network in the future, you can seamlessly transition from one AP to the other without dropping your connectivity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts