Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm not positive what section this should go in exactly, but this one seemed pretty good. So I'm trying to rig up some basic remote management of APC UPS's. I would however prefer not to spend a lot on the actual network managed ones. So my current idea is to take the normal ones that can be managed via powerchute and use the open source version APCUPSD. I want to plug a Pi Zero or similar into each and run APCUPSD from there as it has a web interface. It works on ARM, I'm rather handy with some intermediate linux. Anyone done anything like this? Have any better alternatives?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeianoite View Post

That's the easy route to a console server.
Well the point is to get the web interface. I work at a WISP, so all our infrastructure is spread over 50 miles.

·
Tokyo the defiler
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levelog View Post

Well the point is to get the web interface. I work at a WISP, so all our infrastructure is spread over 50 miles.
Yea, so instead of following the console route and picking up multi port USB hubs/USB to serial/straight serial console cables, you just connect your APC serial console connection and set up some sort of SSH client or what ever you're most comfortable with to remote in and connect to the APC using telnet or web interface. 8/n/1/9600 all day.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. Yeah if APCUPSD works via serial and not just USB that'd be a good option. The hub is unnecessary as there's only one UPS per box.

·
Tokyo the defiler
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levelog View Post

Hmm. Yeah if APCUPSD works via serial and not just USB that'd be a good option. The hub is unnecessary as there's only one UPS per box.
The raspberry pi has been a phenomenal 600$ console server in a 120$ package. I just had to use sticky USB allocation to keep COM ports from moving around. But if you're just using 1 connection to APC per raspberry pi then it'll be a real easy thing to set up. All you'll need is your choice of remote app + however you connect to the APC and you're set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts