Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!,

I have read some guides about overclocking sandy bridge processors and decided to do it my self, but it seems my results are not too much satisfactory.

My setup cosists of:

GA-Z68X-UDH3-B3
8 GB ripjaws 1600
i7 2600K
Silver Arrow cooler
NZXT H2 Classic

My room temp is about 28-33 celsius degrees (spain is hot!).

I have setup multiplier to 44 to get 4400 Ghz and disabled all EC options. The minimun voltage that allows my computer to pass 4 hours prime tests is 1.385. and temps are about 73 in all cores with some fast peeks at 76. Processor temp is around 60-65 degrees.

Don't you think this is a bit high for the cooler I'm mounting? Is there anyway to low voltage modifying other params? I'm a bit dissapointed with this results, I hoped to get 4.4Gz without too much effort/voltage (1.35 would be nice ). Have seen lota of people pointing to do not pass 1.35v level for everyday use, so, I'm worried about this voltages.

If you need pics or whatever let me know and I will post it, and thanks for all the time you all spent helping us, OC noobs.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Considering the ambient temps are a bit warm your load temps seem pretty normal. 1.38v seems very high for 4.4GHz but not all chips are created equal. Some are just voltage hungry and require more to become stable at frequencies that other chips can run at lower voltages. You should enable all power saving options and use offset for setting your voltage. As for max you shouldn't go over 1.50v but for 24/7 I keep it below 1.4v.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps I should be tagetting 4.2 instead of 4.4 and try to adjust voltage.

Will this offset thing be able to lower my cpu voltage (VCore)? Do you have any guide or something about how to do oc using offset?

Thanks a lot for your time.

·
Silicone Overload
683 Posts
For that voltage, I don't think those temps are terribly abnormal. That being said, your minimum voltage to hit 4.4 is unusually high. I'm hitting 4.8 GHz on 1.34v, so I'd double check your bios settings to see if you can lower that voltage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithrandir8
View Post

For that voltage, I don't think those temps are terribly abnormal. That being said, your minimum voltage to hit 4.4 is unusually high. I'm hitting 4.8 GHz on 1.34v, so I'd double check your bios settings to see if you can lower that voltage.

That is what I was thinking about, unusually high, exactly. But it is a bit weird, I just set the 44 multiplier, and adjusted VCore. Disabled C1E, EIST, C3, C6 States and CPU Thermal monitor as the Sandy bridge guide suggested, and this was my lower vcore :/. I envy you

Greetings.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I use fixed voltage since it is easier to make it stable.
Also I don't mind voltage not coming down on idle.
I have all the power saving ON, except thermal throttling and the main "Power saving mode" OFF.
1.385 is high for 4.4 but the temp isn't so bad. (my chip gets hotter than yours at 1.320v)
Is your load voltage stays the same or decrease little bit?
You might want to change LLC (load Line Calibration) setting.
And see how idle and load voltage changes.
Also is your RAM at stock setting?
You should fill out your specs at the bottom. (Go to your userCP)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi!,

Sorry for the delay, have been out because of studies.

I just filled up my specs, hope it helps.

@tunagoblin:
I have done a 6 hour test having fixed voltage at 1.385, with following results:
It was stable, having LLC at level 3/10. At load VCore was between 1.296-1.308 and iddle 1.380-1.392 (don't you think it is pretty high?).

Temps were around 70 degrees in load and 40 in iddle (for all cores), with some fast peaks at 74 in load(Room was about 28 degrees). All this for a 4.4gz OC.

What really worries me are voltages in iddle :/. Anyway don't really know if everything is normal or not. Could anybody confirm? I would really apreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i am not sure if him populating all 4 ram slots is having an impact on his overclock? It used to be like that when i was running my phenom 965, couldnt get over 4 ghz with all 4 sticks in.
edit: nwm maybe hes got 2x4gb just didnt specify

·
Registered
208 Posts
Awesome mate, no worries was just a thought
smile.gif
. Seems like u were suffering from the vdroop at load. You should be able to keep it stable even if u bump ur vcore to 1.3 now. Having LLC enabled now should again drop ur vcore by 0.04 giving you effectively the same vcore you had last time when under load. So you are just bumping it down when its on idle really, so i doubt that will do much for your temps, probably looking at 2-5C drop in temps. give it a go and let us know.

Edit: if you bsod, up the LLC level to 5

1 - 11 of 11 Posts