Overclock.net banner

Need some Linux helpwo

549 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  enorbet2
Im doing and install of linux mint from a USB and I've run into this issue of it not recognizing my keyboard. Now the keyboard works before it gets into linux, on another distro and on windows so i know that its a working keyboard. Does anyone know what causes this? It's not really a linux mint specific issue as i have run into this with other distros in the past. Any input would be appreciated.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Banned
1,185 Posts
Im doing and install of linux mint from a USB and I've run into this issue of it not recognizing my keyboard. Now the keyboard works before it gets into linux, on another distro and on windows so i know that its a working keyboard. Does anyone know what causes this? It's not really a linux mint specific issue as i have run into this with other distros in the past. Any input would be appreciated.
Can you please provide the hardware specs of the machine?

· Gamer
4,025 Posts
What is the keyboard? I had a keyboard that didn’t behave on linux. Maybe it needs a driver that isn’t supported in linux.

· Banned
1,185 Posts
Did you try multiples kind of keyboards, did you get the same result?
Do the usb ports work, when plugging in a memory stick?

If you manage to install a distro like Ubuntu, with root access, you can use the on-screen keyboard emulation.
At this point, open the terminal and run the usual hardware commands, lshw, lspci, lsusb, etc, etc.
You can google the hardware diagnostics commands, that we can check what is installed, and possibly which driver is missing.

· Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you try multiples kind of keyboards, did you get the same result?
Do the usb ports work, when plugging in a memory stick?

If you manage to install a distro like Ubuntu, with root access, you can use the on-screen keyboard emulation.
At this point, open the terminal and run the usual hardware commands, lshw, lspci, lsusb, etc, etc.
You can google the hardware diagnostics commands, that we can check what is installed, and possibly which driver is missing.
Yeah, ive tried the keyboard with different distros and this one seems to work on all of them except this machine. Now the mouse will work 50% of the time, the more i play around with this the more im inclined to believe this mobo may be deflective or just not linux friendly. I tried putting a different distro on this machine and i keep getting similar issues and none of the distros seems to recognize the harddrives and ive tried everything you can think of (bios settings, hooking them up to another machine, power supply ect...). So even if I get the peripherals working i wont be able to actually install it.

· Banned
1,185 Posts
Yeah, ive tried the keyboard with different distros and this one seems to work on all of them except this machine. Now the mouse will work 50% of the time, the more i play around with this the more im inclined to believe this mobo may be deflective or just not linux friendly. I tried putting a different distro on this machine and i keep getting similar issues and none of the distros seems to recognize the harddrives and ive tried everything you can think of (bios settings, hooking them up to another machine, power supply ect...). So even if I get the peripherals working i wont be able to actually install it.
Well, if you don't have the same issues when running windows, i would say that this cpu, motherboard combo, don't love Linux.
If even when running windows, you are confronted to the same hardware issues, at this point, i would tend to think that the hardware is faulty.

So either, you are right, the motherboard chipset or cpu is failing.
Either, Linux doesn't load by default the AMD drivers, needed to run the machine properly.

· 10 year OCN Vet
3,445 Posts
I don't see how a GA-970 would not love Linux. It's more likely temperamental USB issues with that specific kernel/initrd. If there is a different kernel version available I'd try that. If you don't mind "getting your hands dirty" you could use an app like IsoMaster to replace the existing kernel files with one from a working distro, rebuilding and reburning the iso. It's likely that almost any generic kernel config will work just to get Mint installed, but does this mean the Live "Try It" option fails on keyboard, too?. If Live works you may just need to add in some kernel boot options or just an initrd to insure USB support is added early..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.