Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ignore the "onfo" part, looking for info I assure you.

Hey all was running prime 95 but got an error about 68 minutes in on one core. The bit about a rounding error of .5 instead of.4 etc.

I was testing it unlocked at 3.6Ghz with voltage up .100V to 1.425V.

Bus speed was still 200mhz and I just changed the multiplier to 18.

Any thoughts on what I should try changing to get it stable at 3.6? In games and such it's fine and it doesn't get too hot in prime95 (max 54-55C)

Also those numbers are with everest which overestimates the temp compared to cpu-z and pc wizard by around 5-6C. (I know this from comparing the temps in dual core when I have the thermal diode reading.)

Is 1.425V the maximum safe voltage for these unlocked chips? And should I try changing the bus speed to something else first and backing down the multiplier?

Sorry for the noobish questions, this is my first real build.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just tested in dual core with no oc and I got a prime95 error in seconds on some tries and minutes in others... Apparently, if Prime95 is to believed, I'm faaaar more stable oc'ed at 3.6 in unlocked quad that stock in dual hehe. Could go higher it was fine at 3.7 but the cpu fan speed was an extra 100 rpm higher at idle.

I think I'm just going to leave it unlocked at 3.6Ghz. After all my my idle temp is only 2-3C higher and my load temps are only 3-4c higher than in dual at stock speeds. So errr nevermind I guess. Unless anyone sees something obviously wrong, then of course, please let me know.

My real temp under load probably never goes over 50C, due to Everest slight (5c) over estimate. Still at 55c in the artificialness of prime95 I'm sure it'll be fine for gaming and photoshop etc.

·
Matisse
3,808 Posts
Don't start OCing the Phenom II Cores at ALL until you know that your ram is 100% stable (can pass Prime 95 blend for 2-3 hours)

Max Vcore on the cores for these cpu's are 1.55Vcore on air. However, I bet your chip will not tolerate near that much (these chips hate high voltage unless under exotic cold cooling)

• Rep+
Reactions: vnv727

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, anyway just to rest the ram's stability?

Also what is cpu-nb and nb voltage?

I've increased the vcore and ram to 1.425 and 1.9v respectively.Like I said the chip is running coolly in a very hot room right now. Only 5 degrees C higher under load. Optimistically, the real temp is only about 50 C and pessimistically 55C max (prime 95 for a long time).

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is, and they have over volt protection that won't void your warranty up till 1.95.

Thanks for the info, err what is the best way to only test the ram? I get the same error in prime95 only quicker when I do it @ stock speeds in dual core.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vnv727
View Post

It is, and they have over volt protection that won't void your warranty up till 1.95.

Thanks for the info, err what is the best way to only test the ram? I get the same error in prime95 only quicker when I do it @ stock speeds in dual core.

1.95v for what? I'm not sure what voltage you're talking about, but 1.35v for cpu-nb and 1.3 for nb are the max anyone should really need for air cooling. The less the better though.
Do you have the ram on auto at stock speeds or are you imputing timings and voltage manually.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ahh sorry the 1.95 was for the ram. I had to input them manually as it came set for 1066 from the factory. So I went onto the ocz site forum and got the right numbers from ocz themselves.

Ram is at what ocz recommends. 1600 at 7-7-7-24 with 1.9V.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts