Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just jabed a hole true my old school trusty 60mm thick EK rad, and need a replacement quickly... I thought before I just picked out my next rad, I wanted to ask opinions on what is currently a top performer? Im needing a 420mm 60mm thick rad that flows well please! What would you choose? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Not much change in industry so EKWB XE Rad or HWL GTX/GTR Rads. There are couple new rads that came out/coming out. EKWB has new rads releasing in November (seen in there recent Expo).

Lot of people are recently jumping onto Watercool/Heatkiller New Internal Rads. Basically they are close to HWL GTS/GTX (same thickness) but come with half the resistance. Good Pricing too as close to HWL pricing. Some of the best looking radiators out there.

I know couple ppl who did group buys from watercool.de (free shipping at 500euro) or bought direct at 40euro shipping to get ahold of these rads.

Watercool Heatkiller Rad 360-S Review (The L is also reviewed but the data is in this review too).

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i need a 420mm rad, those are 360's........ thanks for the input tho

Just ordered an Alphacool NexXxos UT60 420mm 60mm thick rad. seemed to have decent reviews and flow rates... so we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Yeah pretty much every 120mm variant. If they had a 420 Id be all over it.
Im sure it coming. They need to replace the mo-ra3 remember. Next year or year after Optimus will have radiator so see then.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,799 Posts
They make the Heatkiller rads in more than 360.
The OP specifically stated he wants a 420. Heatkiller does not have 140mm variants in the new line.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Top performing PC rad is a broad range. Helps if you define what fan speeds. 1200rpm and below the GTX is the one to beat, above that and your choices change. The Alphacool NexXxos UT60 420mm 60mm is a decent choice

• Rep+
Reactions: Section31

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I think we just need more new rads to come out. I know old tech but the products need to be refreshed design wise at least.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,799 Posts
Top performing PC rad is a broad range. Helps if you define what fan speeds. 1200rpm and below the GTX is the one to beat, above that and your choices change. The Alphacool NexXxos UT60 420mm 60mm is a decent choice
You are absolutely correct. Fan speeds absolutely define "best". And......I would take a GTS, SR2 or XSPC RX V2 over a GTX for lower fan speeds. They all perform similarly once the ~1200 rpm (fan dependent) is reached, but the other three perform better below.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
You are absolutely correct. Fan speeds absolutely define "best". And......I would take a GTS, SR2 or XSPC RX V2 over a GTX for lower fan speeds. They all perform similarly once the ~1200 rpm (fan dependent) is reached, but the other three perform better below.
I agree. I am thinking about going back to upcoming 140mm version of noctua a12 white/black version. The SL140 fans are quite poor performance for an Mo-Ra3 420.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Better also starts becoming subjective when it's hundredths of a degree.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTR is the best radiator if you are deaf.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,799 Posts
Better also starts becoming subjective when it's hundredths of a degree.
Exactly. If two people were running the same rig, same fans at the same speed (say 1200 rpm), one may prefer the headroom or big looks of the GTX while the other may prefer the space afforded by the GTS and better capabilities if they want to drop the fans down a bit. Performance wise, essentially no difference at the targeted 1200 rpm, but a matter of personal preference.

·
Old and Decrepit
2,321 Posts
Im sure it coming. They need to replace the mo-ra3 remember. Next year or year after Optimus will have radiator so see then.
Well you know how I feel about Optimus. They need to concentrate on whats on their plate already and fill the orders before biting off more. What I do have from them are a few good CPU blocks and they are competitive.

As for OP request and this is just my opinion because I tried a few and the 420 thats in my case now it an HW Labs GTR 420 double pass. Just make sure you have decent high pressure fans. I'm running the Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 fans that blow the curve on static pressure at 4.18 mm H₂O . No need for push/pull. Have mine set up for pull and they do just fine. They generally stay under 1000 rpms and cant hear them much. Even when I max out my loop they top out around 1700RPMs and aren't horrible but that's loading a 10980XE and two 2080Tis to get my liquid up in the 30C range that's my top end of the fan curves.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Regarding hardware labs radiators, make sure they fit in your case they are wider than EK and Alphacool rads for example and don't fit in some cases because of that.

·
Registered
448 Posts
i need a 420mm rad, those are 360's........ thanks for the input tho

Just ordered an Alphacool NexXxos UT60 420mm 60mm thick rad. seemed to have decent reviews and flow rates... so we'll see how that goes.
You made a great choice, I'm partial to Alphacool rads, they work well and never had problems putting them into builds. I wasn't happy with the EK slim line, and while the HWlabs did better, I wanted to go back to what I'm familiar with. I'm sure you'll like the performance, in my experience they have always performed well, at a competitive price.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
You made a great choice, I'm partial to Alphacool rads, they work well and never had problems putting them into builds. I wasn't happy with the EK slim line, and while the HWlabs did better, I wanted to go back to what I'm familiar with. I'm sure you'll like the performance, in my experience they have always performed well, at a competitive price.
You really can’t go wrong with any rads except ekwb slim and medium lineup. Its all unknown factors different in each person builds. (fans, fittings, qdc, etc)

However we will see how things go with new rads from watercool (140 coming), ekwb new rads in nov, etc. Nice to have more options instead of always say hwl and its oem rads.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Well you know how I feel about Optimus. They need to concentrate on whats on their plate already and fill the orders before biting off more. What I do have from them are a few good CPU blocks and they are competitive.

As for OP request and this is just my opinion because I tried a few and the 420 thats in my case now it an HW Labs GTR 420 double pass. Just make sure you have decent high pressure fans. I'm running the Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 fans that blow the curve on static pressure at 4.18 mm H₂O . No need for push/pull. Have mine set up for pull and they do just fine. They generally stay under 1000 rpms and cant hear them much. Even when I max out my loop they top out around 1700RPMs and aren't horrible but that's loading a 10980XE and two 2080Tis to get my liquid up in the 30C range that's my top end of the fan curves.
We know your opinion yup. Assuming Optimus can improve production, you know many of us in that section are going to jump on glass reservoir, lga1700, rads from them once they announce it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts