Overclock.net banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
You made a great choice, I'm partial to Alphacool rads, they work well and never had problems putting them into builds. I wasn't happy with the EK slim line, and while the HWlabs did better, I wanted to go back to what I'm familiar with. I'm sure you'll like the performance, in my experience they have always performed well, at a competitive price.
Got an question. I rarely buy parts from the computer malls as its always better to have local warranty (i can go to my local retailer memexpress or deal with amazon within first 30days) and often time its cheaper for me to buy from local or us and bring back to hk myself. Debating is it worth buying actual hardware (cpu, mobo, ram) there to use up that 10k hkd. Looks like i don’t qualify for that 5k hkd digital voucher.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Got an question. I rarely buy parts from the computer malls as its always better to have local warranty (i can go to my local retailer memexpress or deal with amazon within first 30days) and often time its cheaper for me to buy from local or us and bring back to hk myself. Debating is it worth buying actual hardware (cpu, mobo, ram) there to use up that 10k hkd. Looks like i don’t qualify for that 5k hkd digital voucher.
Good question, I currently live in Shanghai so I'm on the mainland. However my experience shopping for PC hardware hasn't been that great in HK, I did have a very good time in Taipei. If you need to use your HKD there anyway then I would buy generally low risk components, so as you mentioned cpu, mobo, and ram. I would also demand they test it in front of you so you don't get a lemon, otherwise warranty is going to be a mess. (I did the same thing when shopping in the Taipei, and Shanghai computer malls)

Now that I think of it, doesn't jd.com have a HK section? That would probably be the least hassle, but again you would need to find a place to test the hardware before taking it back to Canada or you take a big risk.

• Rep+
Reactions: Section31

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Good question, I currently live in Shanghai so I'm on the mainland. However my experience shopping for PC hardware hasn't been that great in HK, I did have a very good time in Taipei. If you need to use your HKD there anyway then I would buy generally low risk components, so as you mentioned cpu, mobo, and ram. I would also demand they test it in front of you so you don't get a lemon, otherwise warranty is going to be a mess. (I did the same thing when shopping in the Taipei, and Shanghai computer malls)

Now that I think of it, doesn't jd.com have a HK section? That would probably be the least hassle, but again you would need to find a place to test the hardware before taking it back to Canada or you take a big risk.
Thanks. I will have to think it over more. I look at jd.com too. Worst i spend it on other things, easy to spend money in hk just on basic things like meals and transportation.

If it wasn’t for pandemic, i would buy laptops from china and bring them back to canada myself. Inventory and Options are very limited here.

·
Old and Decrepit
2,321 Posts
If they get it together on production a lot of people would buy more. No one wants to wait that long on the products and every time they add something it just adds more lead time on everything. I’m good with what I have. I get an 8 C delta on my GPUs with Heat killer blocks and under heavy load they don’t pass 40 so no reason to change as long as I don’t hit 45 and the first throttle point which I don’t. I’m still on 2080Tis that they don’t make anything for anyhow and I don’t plan on changing anything for awhile. What I have takes everything I throw at it and begs for more. The only thing that would beat my 2080tis Would be a pair of 3090s and buy the time you pay the going rate for the GPUs ( I’d have to have Strix OC) and a pair of Optimus blocks I’d have to wait 2 months on or more there’s $7K out the window. Uhhh NOPE!! I’ll wait until the fall, new platforms coming and the prices are about to drop quite a bit on silicon. I may end up waiting until the year after. Sapphire Rapids looks pretty promising. Will see what’s out there as no matter what it’s a New MOBO,CPU, DDR5 Ram and GPUs as well as probably drives that are gen4 regardless of who is making what when that time comes. I’ll make that decision when the time comes on which of the two gets all my kids college funds.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
If they get it together on production a lot of people would buy more. No one wants to wait that long on the products and every time they add something it just adds more lead time on everything. I’m good with what I have. I get an 8 C delta on my GPUs with Heat killer blocks and under heavy load they don’t pass 40 so no reason to change as long as I don’t hit 45 and the first throttle point which I don’t. I’m still on 2080Tis that they don’t make anything for anyhow and I don’t plan on changing anything for awhile. What I have takes everything I throw at it and begs for more. The only thing that would beat my 2080tis Would be a pair of 3090s and buy the time you pay the going rate for the GPUs ( I’d have to have Strix OC) and a pair of Optimus blocks I’d have to wait 2 months on or more there’s $7K out the window. Uhhh NOPE!! I’ll wait until the fall, new platforms coming and the prices are about to drop quite a bit on silicon. I may end up waiting until the year after. Sapphire Rapids looks pretty promising. Will see what’s out there as no matter what it’s a New MOBO,CPU, DDR5 Ram and GPUs as well as probably drives that are gen4 regardless of who is making what when that time comes. I’ll make that decision when the time comes on which of the two gets all my kids college funds.
You know me, I am looking to join back Intel also with these stuff coming. Do it part by part. Maybe extend my life of caselabs s8 (do nothing major) so i only need to change hardware savings couple thousand off my proposed budget for that rig.

·
Old and Decrepit
2,321 Posts
You know me, I am looking to join back Intel also with these stuff coming. Do it part by part. Maybe extend my life of caselabs s8 (do nothing major) so i only need to change hardware savings couple thousand off my proposed budget for that rig.
Yeah when the time comes all the water cooling stuff I can use will be reused and definitely the Enthoo Elite, fans etc.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Yeah when the time comes all the water cooling stuff I can use will be reused and definitely the Enthoo Elite, fans etc.
Looking to get out of aquacomputer if theres an good competition on aquasuite in future

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just jabed a hole true my old school trusty 60mm thick EK rad, and need a replacement quickly... I thought before I just picked out my next rad, I wanted to ask opinions on what is currently a top performer? Im needing a 420mm 60mm thick rad that flows well please! What would you choose? Thanks for any input!
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO
No RGB but one of, if not the best.
Have a 360 and that is big. Have to make sure your case can take it. Have it on 5950X.
Running right now at 32 C and on CBR23 multi-core 55C. Have a Noctua DH-15 W/(2) 140 mm fans and that ran 37 /38C idle and 68C CB23.
Quiet too. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just jabed a hole true my old school trusty 60mm thick EK rad, and need a replacement quickly... I thought before I just picked out my next rad, I wanted to ask opinions on what is currently a top performer? Im needing a 420mm 60mm thick rad that flows well please! What would you choose? Thanks for any input!
Hi Section:
What I've got is a Noctua NH-D15 riding on top of my 5900. I play all my games at 4K and go balls to the walls. I'm sorry to say that my video is only a 2070 at this time, but it gets the job done. I have a Corsair tall case and the system is whisper quiet with 7 fans. You can even hear the Seagate 6TB backup ranging in and out. Absolutely no overheating and/or noise. The only drawback to the Noctura is that it takes up some real estate. It come with shims to clear the RAM is you need them. I have 2 sets of liquid coolers setting on the shelf, and I don't think I'll ever use them again on my big gamer. Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Mid Sized case and DH takes up a lot of real estate and heated up the inside. Getting enough airflow over the DH was my problem. I mounted 360 mm AIO on front of my case and moved the 3 fans to the top to pull air out. I have one 120MM Noctua fan on back to also pull air out for 3070. Mine is also whisper quiet. Only thing I hear is the 3070 when I'm gaming. I have a Gigabyte RTX3070 Eagle OC. Fans get noisy after 60 C. Also have more access to my memory.
The ARTIC Cooler also has the latest revision which offsets the pump/plate on 5950. Centers over CCDs. Tried both ways and got between 4 to 5 degrees delta.
With a big case I would have stayed with the Noctua DH-15.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,799 Posts
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO
No RGB but one of, if not the best.
Have a 360 and that is big. Have to make sure your case can take it. Have it on 5950X.
Running right now at 32 C and on CBR23 multi-core 55C. Have a Noctua DH-15 W/(2) 140 mm fans and that ran 37 /38C idle and 68C CB23.
Quiet too. Very happy with it.
Just a tiny bit off topic here..........

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Can pretty much consider this thread closed, the alphacool 420 60mm rad has been ordered and I appreciate the helpful feedback.

• Rep+
Reactions: ciarlatano

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am using this baby:

AMS 840.jpg

Very good performance using push/pull @ 600 rpm (i7 6800k and a GTX 1070 SC)
No soldering so no flux to pollute your rig just a clean radiator inside. I was fed up with cleaning flat tubed rads and even then can leave flux and other crap in your system.
Gaming sessions my gpu reaches around 35 - 37c.
If you don't mind the external setup i highly recommend this rad be wary though it is fairly restrictive compared to other rads but a single D5 is plenty like i have.
Or check the Watercool Mora rads also highly recommended but for external use as well.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts