Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I am currently looking for a nice, well made, sturdy desk at or under $150-200 bucks. I know that's a stretch but with a baby on the way I have to conserve some of my cash. So if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have one Dell E228WFP monitor (http://www.amazon.com/Dell-E228WFP-Widescreen-1680x1050-resolution/dp/B001BKR5D8) and would love to have another but I'm not sure I have the cash for one as they are $350 brand new. I'd like to know if anyone knows of a comparable monitor in the same size but for less cash?

Thanks in advance all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebacanezer View Post

Alright, so I am currently looking for a nice, well made, sturdy desk at or under $150-200 bucks. I know that's a stretch but with a baby on the way I have to conserve some of my cash. So if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I have one Dell E228WFP monitor (http://www.amazon.com/Dell-E228WFP-Widescreen-1680x1050-resolution/dp/B001BKR5D8) and would love to have another but I'm not sure I have the cash for one as they are $350 brand new. I'd like to know if anyone knows of a comparable monitor in the same size but for less cash?
Thanks in advance all.
Why would you pay $350 for a TN panel? If you really love that panel, I'm sure you could find one for 75 bucks or so on Craigslist or eBay, but why not upgrade to 24 in monitors if you want dual, I picked up a 24in HP LED backlit monitor for $100 bucks shipped a couple months back, and you can get them for $125 on almost a weekly basis if you don't want to wait for a sale.

As for the desk, do you have an Ikea near by? I generally find their quality to be good considering their cost, and you will have lots of options in the $150 to $200 range.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well when I bought the monitor it wasn't $350, I paid like $179 for it off Amazon brand new but when I checked the prices again they had nearly doubled. This was a big red flag for me. I do love this panel, it has a 5 ms response time and has served me well so far. I have looked on Newegg and TigerDirect for something along the same style but wanted some suggestions first.

Unfortunately, the closest Ikea is 3-4 hours drive (1 way) away from me /sad geek. I have checked at Staples and a few of the local furniture stores but their desks just have that roll top style and remind me of my grandmother's house lol

Thanks for the reply and the info on the monitors. Can I ask where you bought that HP monitor from?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info
thumb.gif
. I checked out the monitor and I believe it's gone back up to the original price. Staples has it for like $300 and Amazon has it for $124. So I believe I might actually grab it if I don't get another Dell to match the one I already have...maybe a refurbished one to save some $$.

Anyone else have any suggestions on a suitable desk that will suffice until I can make it to Ikea?

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,389 Posts
Why not make one?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that's the plan, however, as of right now my funds for materials and my time are a bit strapped. I have a baby on the way and really I honestly do not have the time right now. So I was looking at buying an inexpensive desk to use for about 6 months or so until after my child is born then build my own desk. Afterwards my wife has said she'd like a desk in my office so I figured she could use the purchased one since she doesn't care where her laptop sits as long as it's not on her lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
A decent quality folding table makes a nice short term (or even long term) desk, plus after you're done using it as a desk, it stores compactly and can be used for tons of other things (garage sale, beer pong, whatever floats your boat).

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,389 Posts
In that case....just grab a top and legs from ikea. Cheap, strong, decent looks. lol.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LoL unfortunately the closest Ikea to me is a 4 hour drive (one way). The folding table actually doesn't sound too bad. Aesthetically speaking I don't believe it will be the prettiest thing ever, but functionality > beauty in my opinion.

Thank you all for the replies and the suggestions. I have some more research to do before I buy anything but you all have given me some great information.
biggrin.gif
:thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts